Forum for kitesurfers
Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help a mate launch or land, with your kite in the air

Postby Ned Divine » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:33 pm

plummet wrote:you could attach his chicken loop to your donkey dick and then fly his and your kites at the same time!. imagine that. dual kite flying. bound to end up in the darwin awards. but hell it would look cool!.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Can't wait to see you trying this Plummet! This is a must try thing. Make sure you take some photos to upload. Or I will!

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:34 pm

Ned Divine wrote: Fixed point launch extremely rarely results in a kite in the power zone. If that happens, you are... just going to loose the CL from your hand, the kite will travel downwind, if there is clearance downwind, no problem.
A kite will pull your hand and you can easily lose your balance with another kite in the air.

It might happen extremely rarely, but there is no guarantee that a kite will sit still on the edge of the wind window, especially in gusty winds.

I still think that launching, while holding a kite is a safer way. You don't have to try to lift it from the ground with one hand. The person that wants a launch, should lift it and then give it to you. After you firmly hold to it, the other person just needs to go and grab the bar.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:42 pm

your kite in the air and holding onto someone chicken loop is insane,wow! this is the first time i'm hearing this crap, i thought it's holding the kite, what i do is, instead of my kite being in the air ,i would bring it down to beach(if beach is big enough and no people) and let the bar go, or bring my kite down into the water let my bar go while holding the leading edge of the other kite.

we
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Huguenot, Atlantic Beach Jax
Favorite Beaches: Vieux Fort, St. Lucia

Postby we » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 pm

Fly your kite with the wrong hand (right hand on left side of bar or vice versa), launch your friends/partner/wife's kite with the other hand. I've launched and landed my wife's kite a lot like this with no issue. I generally try to fly my kite on the safer side (towards ocean) and launch/land my wife's kite in same direction.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:23 pm

jakemoore wrote:I like it. Can't believe we've been doing it the other way.
well i don't like it at all. it is very easy way to find your kite on the trees or power lines.

i witnessed tethered landing gone bad. guy landed his kite on sand and fastened his CL to the beach volleyball pole with its safety leash. pole was made of solid 20 cm wood, about 150 kg heavy, dug in the sand at least a meter deep. so while this guy was trotting towards his kite, it was powered up and lifted by sudden gust, pulling the pole out of the ground. eventually kite stuck on high pine tree. luckily beach was not crowded so nobody was hurt.

you can not hold on the CL of the second kite with your hand if it suddenly powers up. and you can not be connected to the second kite with the safety leash, it is too dangerous.
i prefer the usual way: me with my kite up in the air lift my friends kite by the leading edge.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:49 pm

That is a REALLY good way to do it Ned, love it :thumb:

Especially because when you hold the CL the bar is not "caught" or stuck in anything on the ground - like it could easier with a tethered launch/landing.

Holding another kite is in fact not that good nor safe - we do it often yes, but it is by far one of the worst ways of launching (and landing) IMO, if one were to nit-pick between the three methods.

There are so many things that can go wrong - that I wont even write them all - it would be a long post then :o

All these risks are eliminated when holding the CL instead 8)

The only situation where it would be more beneficial holding the kite, is when the ground is not suited for a kite at all, and/or if leeward of obstackles so the kite will not sit steady (or both) - then a handheld kite is the only way to launch/land (but of course risky too)

But in "normal" conditions, your idea is so much better and in every aspect much safer for both kiters in fact :rollgrin:

A bit overkill maybe, for most kitesurfers yes, but still way more safe than holding the kite :thumb:

:D Peter

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:03 pm

prayfawind27 wrote: this is the first time i'm hearing this crap
Hehe, first hater is here, what took you so long? 8)
To the point, funny you hate holding on to a CL but you love holding the LE of a kite to which a person is attached, while you are attached to a kite lying on the ground or the water without your hands on the bar :lol:

I share other people's concerns about the first leash on the second kite and will stop doing this, it seems a bit stupid to me as well. Better ensure downwind clearance (people, power lines etc) and at worst you risk losing a kite but nobody is at risk.
I can also fully understand how people who are used to and feel safer with the usual method will stick to it. This other way is an alternative that I like better. Peace.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:05 pm

eree wrote:
jakemoore wrote:I like it. Can't believe we've been doing it the other way.
well i don't like it at all. it is very easy way to find your kite on the trees or power lines.

i witnessed tethered landing gone bad. guy landed his kite on sand and fastened his CL to the beach volleyball pole with its safety leash. pole was made of solid 20 cm wood, about 150 kg heavy, dug in the sand at least a meter deep. so while this guy was trotting towards his kite, it was powered up and lifted by sudden gust, pulling the pole out of the ground. eventually kite stuck on high pine tree. luckily beach was not crowded so nobody was hurt.
When teathered landing I always walk/run to the kite with my hand applying pressure on the top front line pulling it foward just a tad. This stops the kite rolling back and powering up. The worst it can do is fall foward on the le

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:That is a REALLY good way to do it Ned, love it :thumb:

Especially because when you hold the CL the bar is not "caught" or stuck in anything on the ground - like it could easier with a tethered launch/landing.

Holding another kite is in fact not that good nor safe - we do it often yes, but it is by far one of the worst ways of launching (and landing) IMO, if one were to nit-pick between the three methods.

There are so many things that can go wrong - that I wont even write them all - it would be a long post then :o

All these risks are eliminated when holding the CL instead 8)

The only situation where it would be more beneficial holding the kite, is when the ground is not suited for a kite at all, and/or if leeward of obstackles so the kite will not sit steady (or both) - then a handheld kite is the only way to launch/land (but of course risky too)

But in "normal" conditions, your idea is so much better and in every aspect much safer for both kiters in fact :rollgrin:

A bit overkill maybe, for most kitesurfers yes, but still way more safe than holding the kite :thumb:

:D Peter
Thanks Peter, glad you liked it, good point about the bar not touching the ground !!
Ned :thumb:

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:13 pm

plummet wrote: When teathered landing I always walk/run to the kite with my hand applying pressure on the top front line pulling it foward just a tad. This stops the kite rolling back and powering up. The worst it can do is fall foward on the le
Very good tip! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”