Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lightest or thinnest booties?

Forum for kitesurfers
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Lightest or thinnest booties?

Postby OzBungy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:26 am

I am very happy with the Neil Pryde low cut boots. http://www.npsurf.com/products/boots/ne ... split.html

They are high enough to tuck in the legs of the wetsuit, thin enough to fit in the straps and very grippy.

I wear boots to:
- protect my feet from cuts on some reef breaks I ride.
- keep my feet warm in winter
- provide good shock absorption
- provide much better grip than bare feet.

Vibram 5 Fingers are the worst surf shoe ever (which makes sense because they are not intended to be surf shoes) mainly because they don't seal at the top so sand and shell grit gets in and wedges against your toes. There are other problems with the edges of the sole and toe sections rubbing. That might get better if you wear them in. I hated them.

I have to disagree with Peter about the "learning" to walk barefoot without damaging your feet. I switched to barefoot riding for our warmer season, and promptly stood on a stick buried in the sand and put a hole in the bottom of my foot. There is no way I could have felt it and softened my tread. In my boots there would have been no damage (maybe a bruise at worst).

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kirok » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:57 am

alexeyga wrote:
Kirok wrote:Victory water sports, Vooties:
www.victorykd.com/category-s/59.htm
cheap, tough, extremely light and very pucture proof on the bottom. I have two seasons on my first pair.

Kirk
Have a slightly different experience. My pair has lasted 3 sessions, and a friend to whom i've suggested these, haven't even lasted one! :angryfire: These are the best ones I ever tried when it comes to feel, but they simply can't stand to the conditions where you really need them.
One session??? That sounds a bit extreme. Where did they fail? Do you have any pictures? The only thing I did with mine after the first season is to seal the small pin holes that were forming between the sole and the instep with Stormsure sealant. I really love the Vootie concept but it is true that they are not as tough as rubber.

Kirk

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kirok » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:57 am

alexeyga wrote:
Kirok wrote:Victory water sports, Vooties:
www.victorykd.com/category-s/59.htm
cheap, tough, extremely light and very pucture proof on the bottom. I have two seasons on my first pair.

Kirk
Have a slightly different experience. My pair has lasted 3 sessions, and a friend to whom i've suggested these, haven't even lasted one! :angryfire: These are the best ones I ever tried when it comes to feel, but they simply can't stand to the conditions where you really need them.
One session??? That sounds a bit extreme. Where did they fail? Do you have any pictures? The only thing I did with mine after the first season is to seal the small pin holes that were forming between the sole and the instep with Stormsure sealant. I really love the Vootie concept but it is true that they are not as tough as rubber.

Kirk

Return to “Kitesurfing”