Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone modified their Compstick bar to Lenten's setup?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anyone modified their Compstick bar to Lenten's setup?

Postby Jdizzle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:14 pm

I want to modify my 2012 Compstick bar to run the Lenten pro setup:
Screen shot 2012-11-17 at 20.10.02.png
Screen shot 2012-11-17 at 20.10.02.png (243.48 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
I was wondering if anyone has managed to do this theirself? It doesn't look to difficult to do, but I would need to source the chicken loop, swivel and stoppers ect.

Cheers in advance :D

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone modified their Compstick bar to Lenten's setup?

Postby TheJoe » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:10 pm

I assume you are looking for an above the bar trim? If so here is a mod I do to my Slingy bars. The bar on the right has been modded. Takes about 30 min. All you have to do is get a clam cleat and trim rope ( a pull pull strap would work as well ). Double back your new center line and tie a figure 8 knot to keep the center line in place. I had all so cut this bar to 14" to use with my 7/9m fuels. Hope that is what your looking for.

One more thing. I showed one of our locals this and he ordered the cleat from Switch kites. He seems to like it a lot.

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster

Postby Jdizzle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:23 pm

I want above the bar trim, but I also want to do away with all the crap running through the centre hole. I just want one single PU line running through the centre hole. This will obviously do away with the safety mechanism, but to be honest I haven't pulled my safety for years. I think using the O-shit handles as a safety will be perfectly fine...? That Lenten pro setup looks so clean! The Ozone bar setup is also really clean, I really don't see the need for 3 lines running through the bar? Below the bar depower is also retarded!

Your setup looks really nice BTW! It must be cheaper for you to replace the red centre line compared to buying a slingy one?

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster

Postby Jdizzle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:39 pm

What diametre spectre did you use mate? Did you find getting the height right for your depower cleat OK? Also, how did you go about chopping down your Slingy bar? I saw a video of someone cutting down an Ozone bar once but can't find it anywhere now :(

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:01 am

try Wainman Hawaii

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:03 am

knotwindy wrote:try Wainman Hawaii
yeah, honestly modding things can be neat but it sounds like it might be a better idea to sell the bar stock and buy one that you like better...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:00 am

this mod is no more difficult than swapping out a used chicken loop line. just make sure you get the right diameter line otherwise the stopper wont work right.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:44 am

i did not necessarily mean get a WH bar
i meant if you want to part out a set up, you should check out the WH stuff
the chicken loop, covered lines and cleat are the same and you can either swap out the swivel or just use the one you have

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster

Postby Jdizzle » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:03 am

I'll look into the Wainman setup and see if I can mod that to my bar. The Ozone setup is also pretty mint, but I just don't like the bar as it's too thick and not grippy enough...it gets torn out of your hands easily on unhooked kiteloops. It would be a mission to mod that setup to the Slingy bar as you would need almost every single Ozone component!
I do really like the look of TheJoe's setup though, it woud be cheaper to change depower ropes as you could just by a reel of the stuff!

@TheJoe could you please explain exactly how you attached the Clamcleat with the ring on the back? Did you need to cut any existing lines? Also, how did you go about cutting down your bar? It looks like a sweet setup for my 7m Fuel.

I think this is the cheapest and easiest solution, which will maintain the original safety system :thumb:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:58 pm

knotwindy wrote:i did not necessarily mean get a WH bar
i meant if you want to part out a set up, you should check out the WH stuff
the chicken loop, covered lines and cleat are the same and you can either swap out the swivel or just use the one you have
I tried this and they just don't make them as spares. At least when I wanted to just get the center line and chicken loop.

For the clam cleat I just used 2 stainless steel nut and bolts I got from the local hardware store. The piece of plastic is there just to act as a washer as the bolts are small and go thru the rope. I just didn't want them to have a chance to pull thru. I don't even remember where I got the plastic.

Cutting the bar is easy. First you have to cut the rubber sheath around the bar ends off so you can drill out the rivets. Next you want to measure how far from the end the foam is cut back and write it down. Figure out how much you want to cut your bar. I just went to 14" so I cut 1 & 1/2" off both ends with a hack saw. then cut back the foam. I put the ends back on lined them up and marked where to drill the holes for the rivets. I pulled off the ends to drill the holes then before I put them back on I used a 2 part epoxy for a little extra strength hold. Put the rivets in and done.

To get the center line the right length I just measured the original setup from the top of the chickenloop to the swivel and did my best to match that length. I want to say it is somewhere around 27". I then made my center line and trim strap that length and put everything back together. Then I went outside and made sure it was right by doing a basic line tune on the bar. Same as you would if your front lines are too long.

As for the the rope diameter I want to say it is 1/8 spectra I got from West Marine. It is the same size as the slingshot center line smaller half.

Next time I mod a bar I plan on making an in depth tutorial. I have actually use the 14" bar on a 13m fuel and it even worked there. I all so have cut down a Wainman bar to 12.5" (I screwed up on my take off's) But the bar works great on the 7m gypsy. Hope this helps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”