Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone modified their Compstick bar to Lenten's setup?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anyone modified their Compstick bar to Lenten's setup?

Postby Jdizzle » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks mate! So is the cleat in the same spot were the plastic ball stopper used to be? I guess you had to cut the old centre line to make the trim strap? Did you just tie a bowline/loop for the red doubled over line to sheath to? I can't really make it out from the picture. Any chance you could post a few close up pictures? That would be awesome! I like the idea of just changing out my worn centre line and trim strap for peanuts, good work :thumb:
Last edited by Jdizzle on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster

Postby Jdizzle » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:04 pm

The bottom end of the old depower line has a loop spliced into it doesn't it..the end that goes inside the butter box...? I'm guessing you used that end to sheath your new red line onto? I used to be able to eye splice Sampson spectre, but haven't done it for years, it's quite tricky!

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster

Postby Jdizzle » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:13 pm

I think I've got an awesome way to do this, so it's an even cleaner job! Ozone have a backing on their clamcleat which is used to lock the depower line in place:
Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 15.07.51.png
Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 15.07.51.png (44.08 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 15.12.35.png
Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 15.12.35.png (93.63 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
All you would need to do is run an eye spliced line the opposite way through the cleat, to the way that Ozone do it...and then sheath your doubled over depower line to that. It would be a very secure and professional looking job.

I'm gonna give this a go and see what I come up with. Thanks for the ideas TheJoe!

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TheJoe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:31 pm

You can put the cleat where ever you want it will just affect how much throw and trim the bar has. I'm 5'5" so the cleat is where I can easily reach it with out lunging for it. I just used a Wainman spare depower rope for it.

For connecting the depower rope to the center line it's just a larks head. The same way you would put line extension or a pigtail on your flying lines. I could of and thought about putting a ring or a pulley there so I could use my center line to attach my leash too but the larks head was just so much easier and didn't require another trip to West Marine.

As for the butter box I just tied a figure 8. You have to remove the cleat inside the butter box. Sorry forgot to mention that. I just got the rope thru the holes and put the knot. I think I ran the side with the loop thru the center of the butter box and tied both knots on the same side.

I don't have the bar here. I had shoulder surgery on both my shoulders within the last 3 months so I have my kites up for sell at the local shop.

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster

Postby Jdizzle » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:34 pm

Sorry to hear about your shoulder dude :( Hope you recover soon! Thanks for all the info mate, I'm thoroughly on the same page now! I'm gonna get my setup exactly the same as yours but with an Ozone cleat instead. The best thing is that I can buy 5 metres of 12 braid spectra for cheaper than a Slingshot depower line. I no longer give a crap about de-power wear! I'm going to re-teach myself how to splice to, so I can have a super tidy setup :D

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:59 pm

It's a pretty easy mod you will not have any problems. The good thing about the mod is it is easy to change your center line to compensate for your front lines stretching. And yeah spectra is way cheaper when it is not cut and sewn!

romkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride TT & Strapless surf
Gear: 5&7&9 2010 SS Octane

Postby romkite » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:26 pm

I just made the modification myself but I realize there is nothing left from my original 2010 compstick except the lines...

I liked the below the bar trim, that was working quite well, but the swivel was not working anymore and all the replacement depower ropes I tried were wearing too fast and/or were not properly blocked by the cleat :evil:

I bought a clamcleat 18 EUR, red stopper ball 1.5 EUR, antal ring 13 EUR, I cut the 5mm depower rope in two, I buy it about 3 EUR per meter. Here is the result:
IMG_5406-02.JPG
IMG_5406-02.JPG (55.63 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
I have reinstalled my old 2009 SS chicken loop with integrated swivel. Haven't tried it yet but I am pretty happy with this extremely simple design :thumb:

Ivel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: mostly strapless surfboard
Gear: not panzy bow kites

Postby Ivel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:21 am

That Len10 "pro Bar" is basically the same as a SS bar from 2004 with new graphics.

Check out camcleat.com, they have the goodies.
Its great to see folks making their own bars.

Return to “Kitesurfing”