Local Beach: Fernandina Beach, FL
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bravo SUP Hand Pump

Postby FBKC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:54 pm

http://www.boatstogo.com/Bravo-SUP-Pumps.asp

Has anyone used this pump? It's taller, so therefore more ergonomic. The smaller diameter means less force to reach the desired pressure. I have been using a short and fat wal-mart cheap pump and it feels like the handles are about to break off to get to the 6-8psi range.

Also, I know bravo makes the electric pumps, is there any reason their manual pumps are any better construction than my wal-mart cheapo pump?

AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves

Re: Bravo SUP Hand Pump

Postby AndKite » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:09 pm

We have this one at the shop, but only use it for the SUPs.

It only pumps on the downstroke meaning you will have to pump your ass off to fill up a kite.

Its fun to give it to some macho dude and tell him to pump the SUP fast. Going out strong and fast, he soon starts panting, your arms sure get a working.

That said, it is a nice pump, smooth pumping and good build quality. Makes funny noises when reaching high pressures though...

FBKC
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fernandina Beach, FL
Style: Freeride

Postby FBKC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Wow thanks, yeah that is a deal breaker then. I am interested in a new pump, perhaps I will try the Bravo 4 Kite specific hand pump instead.

Vikb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nihtnat, Vancouver Island, BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Freeride...
Gear: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Vikb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:04 pm

This is the pump my GF got with her new Liquid Force Envy. That pump is in the down/compressed position so you aren't bending over as much.

Combined with LF's huge valve opening and the Envy's 3 strut design it's super easy to pump up.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 pm

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1113

This NRS K-220 pump is worth a look. Heavy duty, double barrel for volume mode and pressure (15-25 psi) mode. Not inexpensive, but very well made and should last many years. It's the newest double barrel hand pump they make and is the bigger brother of the K-20 pump which is used by many inflatable SUP users. I think it's overkill to be used for just kites, but if you have an inflatable SUP, raft, kayak or canoe it might be worth the price as a single pump for all needs.

If the link doesn't work, go to nrsweb.com, search pumps, then hand pumps and look at the K-220.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

The $10 ones work fine for me. The new cabrinha pump is $140! And it pumps up exactly the same as the coleman piece of crap I got off amazon.

And, when I do a downwinder and don't feel like running my pump back up to the car before we leave, I just chuck it into the bushes. If someone steals it, it was $10. Oh well.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:51 pm

dyyylan wrote:The $10 ones work fine for me. The new cabrinha pump is $140! And it pumps up exactly the same as the coleman piece of crap I got off amazon.

And, when I do a downwinder and don't feel like running my pump back up to the car before we leave, I just chuck it into the bushes. If someone steals it, it was $10. Oh well.
I think you misunderstand OP's point. He wants a taller pump. My discs are pretty much shattered, and the low pumps aren;t exactly ideal for them.

I am quite sure the tall pump I had with my inflatable SUP had two way pumping action.

AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:59 pm

tautologies wrote:
I think you misunderstand OP's point. He wants a taller pump. My discs are pretty much shattered, and the low pumps aren;t exactly ideal for them.

I am quite sure the tall pump I had with my inflatable SUP had two way pumping action.
Well then, is it really that hard to make an extension to existing pumps? all you really need to do is to attach a new shaft to the existing handles... get some plumbers pipe and some extra time! :)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:22 am

AndKite wrote: Well then, is it really that hard to make an extension to existing pumps? all you really need to do is to attach a new shaft to the existing handles... get some plumbers pipe and some extra time! :)
sure...you can probably build a completely new pump..BUT it doesn't seem like that is the solution OP is looking for :-)

Also a bigger pump will pump more air..adding a shaft will not do that. It doesn't really matter, not everyone like to mess around with gear.

Spork, made a block under his pump to make it come up a little higher, which I think is even easier...

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:39 am

The pumps coming with the 2013 Cabrinha kites seem to pump really easy. I'm not sure if they have different valving in them but the amount of effort seems to be significantly reduced but it still takes about the same amount of pumps to fill the kite.

2013 cabrinha pump is significantly nicer/easier then the 2012 pumps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”