Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New World record = 59.23 knots

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New World record = 59.23 knots

Postby Flyboy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:46 pm

To me, it seems like kiters/windsurfers at Luderitz are in a different category. A purpose-built ditch is not equivalent to open water sailing. It's still a worthy & fascinating accomplishment, but not quite the same thing as an open water record.

Then again, the Sailrocket presumably wouldn't be able to achieve those speeds in "real" open water conditions, like the hydro foiling Hydroptere - so they're all slightly different accomplishments. The Sailrocket certainly seems to have a huge edge in terms of efficiency though.

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jwoodunlv » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:08 pm

It can only go in one direction so I'm not that impressed. I bet if a kite company put a few million into building a speed specific kite then kiters would break the 60 knot barrier as well. Oh yeah, we can also go in more than one direction.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:13 pm

Flyboy wrote:To me, it seems like kiters/windsurfers at Luderitz are in a different category. A purpose-built ditch is not equivalent to open water sailing. It's still a worthy & fascinating accomplishment, but not quite the same thing as an open water record.

Then again, the Sailrocket presumably wouldn't be able to achieve those speeds in "real" open water conditions, like the hydro foiling Hydroptere - so they're all slightly different accomplishments. The Sailrocket certainly seems to have a huge edge in terms of efficiency though.
If they didn't build the ditch, they would have to find a few places on Earth where you could get a very strong offshore wind and flat water. They would still be able to do it but would have to wait maybe for years for conditions to occur there. They used to set records on the open sea and you could argue that Tilmann Heinig's records at Westerhaven were set on the open sea but then the rules were changed to ban that in favour of the yachts and windsurfers.
I think the main difference the canal makes is that it means that the suitable conditions are likely to be more predictable and occur more often.

Some of the yachts do benefit a lot just from their huge size.
Last edited by ronnie on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:49 pm

gbleck wrote: ...
I'm thinking hard sail kites. Has anyone tried building one yet?
I have one of those ; i use it to jump off mountains with. HA !!

Seriously though ...
My rigid-wing is about 14.69M big, with a projected aria of 14.69M. It will fly
at about 18mph with my weight but it has a VNE in turbulent air of 60mph.
According to my Garmin 76s ;I've had it going 80mph in smooth air before.
How many 14M water kites have a speed range of That ?

Bille
Attachments
DSC00165.JPG

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:59 am

It can only go in one direction so I'm not that impressed. I bet if a kite company put a few million into building a speed specific kite then kiters would break the 60 knot barrier as well. Oh yeah, we can also go in more than one direction.
Well, in every way a kiteboard/kite is a more practical piece of equipment & I'm sure refined board & kite design will push the record higher. However, it doesn't seem likely that that kiters will match Sailrocket's efficiency.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:40 am

jwoodunlv wrote:It can only go in one direction so I'm not that impressed. I bet if a kite company put a few million into building a speed specific kite then kiters would break the 60 knot barrier as well. Oh yeah, we can also go in more than one direction.
speed boards are directional.

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:36 am

directionals can be jibed and ridden both tacks. That boat is a one trick pony.... the trick is still pretty impressive.

ZigZag
Medium Poster

Postby ZigZag » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:50 am

The kite is not the limitation, it is the board.

Similar kites (aerodynamically inferior foils, actually!) used with buggies equipped with wheels and ridden on hard ground go much faster than boards on water.

So the secret to going faster on water is to minimize the friction created by the board.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:53 am

jwoodunlv wrote:It can only go in one direction so I'm not that impressed. I bet if a kite company put a few million into building a speed specific kite then kiters would break the 60 knot barrier as well. Oh yeah, we can also go in more than one direction.

i am pretty sure the sail rocket can go both directions. One direction you are doing the standard tack, but if you rotate the sail a bit you can go on the other tack, but you'll be backing the rudder in the water, sort of like kiteboarding with a surfboard and instead of jibing you ride it backwards.

I think the reason they don't ride it backwards is because it is a one of kind boat and they don't want to take chances hot dogging it. Can't go to the store and grab another sailrocket off the shelf.

tilmann
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: St.Peter-Ording
Style: highspeedcarving
Gear: highspeedcarving board + 7m Slingshot Machine
Brand Affiliation: www.highspeedcarving.com

Postby tilmann » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:35 am

Catman did his 61 kn NOT on his canal but on open water. On a shallow water section of Luderitz bay. Or how I call it:: On liquid ice. Which has been banned by the WSSRC after my record. :(

The second thing which slows us down is the big blown-up sausage in front of our kites. Some people call it "front tube" . It has a lot of drag.
And it causes control problems in gusts. So we have to depower all the time which slows us down.

Regarding development current kites are on the same level as windsurf sails in the eighties of the past century. Nice freestyle-toys but compared to the wing of the sailrocket a piece of crap.
Last edited by tilmann on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”