Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Equipment used for kiteboard-camping ?

Postby Bille » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:28 pm

What kind of stove and cooler do you use for the camping part
of a over-niter kite board excursion ?

I just spent a week with a bunch of climbers in Joshua-Tree Ca. , and
they had coolers that ranged from a few hundred dollars for the bear-proof
down to a cheap Colman ; same for the stoves.

I just want something that isn't gonna break while i'm making dinner ; and
an ice-chest that can keep my beer cold for 3-5 days , if it stays out of the sun.

Bille

Vikb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nihtnat, Vancouver Island, BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Freeride...
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Equipment used for kiteboard-camping ?

Postby Vikb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:04 pm

I use a Coleman propane stove. If it's for weekend trip I just use the small disposable propane bottles and if it's a 1-2month trip in the Baja I use a BBQ propane tank.

You can buy all sorts of coolers for your food & drinks. The heavily insulated ones will be a little more expensive and will have thicker walls so you can put less in them.

I typically run 2 coolers. One is for food and I use block ice in it. I don't go into this cooler frequently - say 3 or 4 times a day so the ice lasts a long time.

The other smaller cooler is for beer and uses cube ice. It gets opened a lot and the ice doesn't last as long. If I run out of cubed ice I'll shift a block from the food cooler into the beer cooler to get me through the last day of a trip.

You can make ice last longer by keeping the cooler out of sun and wrapping it in some insulating material.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:39 pm

i use the same thing hikers on the appalachian trail use, alcohol stove.

buy a can of tuna, hole punch and get a can of fuel line anti-freeze from the gas station when u get there (or denatured alcohol).

punch holes in the top of the tuna. This is a decent way to boil about 2 or 3 cups of water, takes about 5 minutes to boil, then you can add your instant food to it. If you want slightly more serious cooking on an alcohol stove, make a boiler stove and a simmer stove (simmer stove is just a tuna can stove with about 6 holes punched in it instead of 20 or so), but ideally the alcohol stove is there just to boil water, and camp ultra lite.

This is the king of ultra-lite camping, don't don't actually have to bring anything just go to a local store and get the stuff. the only hassle is that you need a wind block.

I don't use a cooler, water is good enough for me.

Sounds like the alcohol stove is not your thing tho, you seem like the 3 coolers (1 cooler beer, 1 cooler ice and 1 cooler more beer) and a coleman double burner kind of guy.

sinferno

Postby sinferno » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:59 pm

If you're glamping (camping near your car), the bigger propane coleman stoves, coolers, tents, lawn chairs and all that stuff will do fine. Yes - limit the number of times you open the food cooler and keep it out of the shade. We have a Coleman 5-day Xtreme cooler that works very well, as long as you limit how often you open it - the second cooler for beer is a smart idea.

If you are hiking a fair-to-serious distance through the woods in order to get to a nice kite spot, I'd recommend a Jetboil cooking kit, water holding bag, water purifier, some pre-made food (like sandwiches), pre-cooked ingredients for making b'fast or lunch wraps, snacks (sugar/granola bars), some packaged freeze-dried food and powder drink mix such as Gatorade. An ultralight tent such as the Sierra Design Clip Flashlight or a camping hammock is a LOT easier to carry than a 12lb Coleman tent (this I learned the hard way). A sleeping mat is light and great for sleeping and sitting on. This is the typical stuff I carry on multi-day hikes.

criznach
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby criznach » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:33 am

I bought a Coleman 2 burner stove thinking that would be the shit for kite camping. The thing had some plastic parts, and it leaked and caught fire the first time I used it. SCARY. I took it back and bought a "Camp Chef" two burner stove for about $10 more. I love that thing. It's all metal and works like a champ. I've used it dozens of times. Another kiter here in MT has one too and loves it.

Also experiment with pots and pans. If I'm traveling light I have a titanium set that works great for boiling water but not much more. If I'm near the car and living large, nothing beats the cast iron.

As for coolers, if you're in your car you have lots of options. Nothing is going to keep hungry bears from being hungry bears, so you may as well hang it high in a tree, or lock it inside the car, far away from your tent. Get something light with good insulation. IMHO, if a bear has a chance to TRY and get into it on the ground, it will try, so that's just not a good option. I have a Coleman that says "Keeps ice for 3 days at 90 degrees". Realistically it keeps ice for 2 days at 80 degrees, but not bad for $20.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:03 pm

The king of coolers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxjSbj6zrbQ
8 days on the river and still plenty of ice

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:45 pm

criznach wrote:I bought a Coleman 2 burner stove thinking that would be the shit for kite camping. The thing had some plastic parts, and it leaked and caught fire the first time I used it. SCARY.
That is why i made this topic ; nearly the same thing happened at Joshua Tree, when
a Coleman tried to burn up our dinner with more flames than needed !!!

It's a shame because we had a coleman for camping when i was 10, and it worked perfect.
That was 50 fricken years ago ; they must be using that cheap Chinese plastic to save
a buck now-a-days, something about a Better profit margin, they believe that idiot humans
only care about the price, and will purchase a new one after it blows up. American car
companies think the same way, that is WHY i have driven a Toyota for the last 30 years,
( they Never left me walking) !!! ---- my buddies jeep would leave us walking twice a year on our
hang gliding excursions; he bought a second one just for parts.

Well Guess What Jeep :
i would NEVER purchase one of your pieces of F-n Crap !!!! (.)
matthepp wrote:The king of coolers:
--- video for the YETI cooler---
8 days on the river and still plenty of ice
YEP -- that was the bear proof one, and it's worth the money ------every dime of it !!

One of the family's in our group had one, and they also said it kept ice for a week+
while they were on a river in Idaho.
Now THAT is a company that "Cares" about
QUALITY !!!!!!!!---------------------------------------i just can't afford it.

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”