Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

XLKites and Phil Nelson

Postby OceanAdventures » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:26 am

Hello everyone,

I'm an instructor at XLKITES in Fort Walton Beach. Something tragic has happened to one of our good friends. If you have ever kited in the Fort Walton Beach area, or had any dealings with XLKITES here you have probably met Phil Nelson. He has been kiting in the area since kiteboarding started and is a local legend. On top of that he has helped out almost everyone who has kited in this area, or even just passed through.

A few days ago we were all shocked to find out that he has very aggressive cancer in his lungs. He was literally working at the beach last week and now is in the hospital. We have all kind of taken this hard in our kiteboarding community. We have decided to do something really big to show him how much we love and appreciate everything he has done.

On December 1st here in Fort Walton Beach, we are going to have a "Big Air" Nelson day. We are going to have events, prizes, and giveaways. We are not charging anything, we just want people to come out and have fun with us and our friend. Any proceeds and donations will go to helping pay his medical bills. So if your in the area or are going to be please come out. You can find more information on our Facebook group page. If you can't any prayers and good will would also be appreciated. I hope everyone has a great day.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/327577625989/

Curt Palermo

kitehigher
Medium Poster

Re: XLKites and Phil Nelson

Postby kitehigher » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:39 pm

He is a dear friend to many and a great friend to me! I am honored to say how grateful I am to have Philip in my life. Over the years he has been there with support and amazing friendship. Great laughs and experiences we have shared and memories that will last forever.

This is tragic and unbelievable. My heart goes out to his family and friends as it is such a hard time…..

I personally will be there! With everything I can bring and donate…. Cabrinha will be on hand with gear to try and a day to go as big as possible for you, Phillip.

It will be "Big Air" Nelson day!

I will be there friend! See you soon….….. Damien LeRoy

Litewave Dave
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Litewave Dave » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:49 am

I heard today that Phil died on Thursday and I've been really sad all day. Phil was the coolest, most humble, great guy. I will really miss him and feel an empty place inside me now. So sorry to see Phil pass too soon.
-Litewave

mduhaime
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, OR
Gear: Naish

Postby mduhaime » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:44 am

Terrible news. Phil was a great guy, always had a smile on his face and shared his stioke for kiting with so many people. He tought me how to kite and many other things, he will be missed.

-Mike
Attachments
IMG_1661.JPG

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster

Postby OceanAdventures » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:21 am

I just wanted to update everyone. We are going to have our celebration for Phil on December 8th. We are going to have events, prizes, friends, food, and a lot of fun. Everyone is invited to come out and celebrate with us.

Er Presidente
Medium Poster

Postby Er Presidente » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:53 am

I was lucky to talk to him not long time ago when I purchased couple of harnesses from XL kites.
I was delighted by his kindness, professionalism and energy.
He spent half an hour on the phone answering my questions.
My deepest condolences to his friends and family.
R.I.P. Phil

Chickenwing504
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mississppi gulf coast
Gear: 13m switch element
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Chickenwing504 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Bump for anyone that has missed it. It's next Saturday, wind or no wind.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster

Postby OceanAdventures » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 am

Here is the flyer for the event.
Attachments
image.jpg