Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: So... whose a waterman?

Postby FabsPH » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:37 pm

You live for water sports... you are a waterman(women)
If you claim to do water sports and only do it for a hobby, you are not.
If you do it only in summer or weather permitting or..., and the other time is spend making money for your family, you are a waterman.
if you are lucky enough to get paid to be in the water all the time, enjoying your (our) dream, you are a waterman (with groupies ) :-)

If you think you are, or you have been "published', and behave like a dick, thinking you own the ocean or the (surf)break, you are NOT a waterman. You are just an ass! Lonely ,little,......

IMO : ALOHA = WATERMAN = ALOHA

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Thor SFBay » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:26 pm

TangTonic wrote: PS - Laird used to be a respected waterman but he brought the disease of standup paddle boarding and tow-in surfing to lineups around the word through his selfish promotion. It was all about the feeding the ego and making money for Laird. There are way harder chargers now in the surfing realm, Greg Long and crew have been paddling into ginormous waves including Jaws and I don't see Laird ditching the tow rope to join them.
I've been SUP surfing for a few years now and recently I've thought about getting a "regular" surfboard. But now I think I'll stick to SUP just to thumb my nose at people like you. WIth that attitude, shouldn't you be windsurfing instead of kiting? Or if you are such a purist, shouldn't you ditch the board altogether and bodysurf naked?

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:43 pm

Thor .... you should buy a surfboard, learn to surf properly, then come back to this forum and tell us how you feel about kooks on SUPs in the lineup.

It won't be the same view....whatever you say now. But that's not your fault, so take my comment with a grain of salt. :D

Goannaman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cocoa

Postby Goannaman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Jono 111 wrote: tell us how you feel about kooks on SUPs in the lineup.
Does it really matter what the kook is on in the lineup? I enjoy SUPs... for tooling around enjoying nature and time on the water. Maybe SUPs are worse where you live than here (last Saturday I saw one SUP out all day for example).

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:36 pm

To be honnest i'm a mountain biker that flyers kites. I love to turn the swell/waves into my own personal watery jump park. I want to smash off a wave lip double up the wave and land out the downside of the next wave like on my bike. I want to rail the waves like a burm....

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:42 pm

This guy is:

gazxtreme
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Walney Island, Lake District, UK
Favorite Beaches: Sotovento Fuerte.
Sanbar at Hurghada Egypt.
Style: Old school, progressing to wake style
Gear: Starkites Sbow 08.
Starkites Sprint 134.
Brand Affiliation: I use Starkites in my school and rode for Starkites in 2008 BKSA grand prix.

Postby gazxtreme » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:07 pm

I like to think I'm a waterman but where is the benchmark? Not everyone can live every day to be on the water as we know too well watersports is costly.
I mainly kite and have tried, freestyle, a bit of directional back in the day when it was 6'6" sky pirates, I spent a couple of weeks in France on a mates course board after taking nothing but speedboards and we got light wind most of the time and I've messed on a skim.
When it's under 20 knots I'm instructing or getting myself through intermediate windsurfing for a second time since quitting in the 80s.
When it's under 14 knots I'm sailing my retro Hobie 16.
When it's under 6 knots I'm either SUPing, zap catting, wakeboarding or mono skiing and will be throughout the UK winter.
I have been twice this year on a multi watersports Nielsons holiday and going again in May 2013 enjoying all the sports available.
I live to be on the water and get grumpy as hell without at least 2 days a week on the water doing something. I'm lucky enough to live in the Lake District in the UK so 2 miles from the sea with all directions of wind covered being on a peninsula and just 25 minutes from the lakes and rivers. I couldn't wish to live anywhere better apart from the shitty weather this year. Watersports has made a very content person of me although at 49 I do wonder how long I can keep it up for.

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Goannaman wrote:
Does it really matter what the kook is on in the lineup? I enjoy SUPs... for tooling around enjoying nature and time on the water. Maybe SUPs are worse where you live than here (last Saturday I saw one SUP out all day for example).
Yes. In proper surf it does.

Away from that, as an alternative to a Reebok ball, no, it doesn't.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:03 am

I pretty much do every watersport available, but here in the sticks they just call me a river rat (nothing respectable like Waterman). I have been called a Water Head a few times. Does that count :?:

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:09 am

I would argue that anyone who attaches a small, flattish board to their feet and a much larger kite 100 feet away from their belly and ventures out into water over their head to fulfill some part of the definition of a waterman.

And anyone who volunteers themselves as such in this thread to potentially be "conmen". Or suffering from an inherently related insecurity.

In other words, those that are, are not concerned with "IT" or the definition of "IT".

Too busy doing "IT".

Return to “Kitesurfing”