Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The new Uni Control Bar by Blade

Postby machista87 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:06 am

Motion wrote:
yoav_at_blade wrote:
faklord wrote:Hi
I'm surprised by Jinx's comment that the safety attaches to only one of the front lines (which I think it's the safest option)
How can it do this thro the swivel?

It looks to me like it goes to both front lines. Please can you confirm?

Thanks

Hello.

Jinx's comment is correct. The safety attaches to only one of the center lines, going all the way through the swivel and to the bridle. The second center line attaches directly to the swivel. When depowering the kite, the safety line will have some slack extending from below the QR, but it's not an issue since it just becomes an extension of your leash. This method is convenient for the main reason of not having loose lines above the bar.

In terms of line strengths. Each of the center lines support 400 lbs. and each of the flying lines support 250 lbs.

Yoav
So it will not have the same double suicide mode as current /last generation bar?

How is the suicide mode than done on the new bar?
The so called "double suicide" mode that you mention is o.k, but it has too many issues so most of the advanced riders that I know prefer the traditional way.
If you really insist to use it just attached your leash together with the chicken loop and safty ring. It will provide you the exact same effect like someone wrote before.

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards

Postby ChristoffM » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:41 am

When depowering the kite, the safety line will have some slack extending from below the QR, but it's not an issue since it just becomes an extension of your leash. This method is convenient for the main reason of not having loose lines above the bar.
Nice! Now I really like this bar.

Maybe I missed the answer somewhere, but can the bar travel be adjusted while riding or do you have to come in to adjust it?

Wave_Ride
Medium Poster

Postby Wave_Ride » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 am

ChristoffM wrote:
Maybe I missed the answer somewhere, but can the bar travel be adjusted while riding or do you have to come in to adjust it?
You need to adjust it on the beach where there is no load on the lines.

Yoav thanks for the explanation. Looking forward to test the new bar.

Motion
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Motion » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:08 am

machista87 wrote:
Motion wrote:
yoav_at_blade wrote:
Hello.

Jinx's comment is correct. The safety attaches to only one of the center lines, going all the way through the swivel and to the bridle. The second center line attaches directly to the swivel. When depowering the kite, the safety line will have some slack extending from below the QR, but it's not an issue since it just becomes an extension of your leash. This method is convenient for the main reason of not having loose lines above the bar.

In terms of line strengths. Each of the center lines support 400 lbs. and each of the flying lines support 250 lbs.

Yoav
So it will not have the same double suicide mode as current /last generation bar?

How is the suicide mode than done on the new bar?
The so called "double suicide" mode that you mention is o.k, but it has too many issues so most of the advanced riders that I know prefer the traditional way.
If you really insist to use it just attached your leash together with the chicken loop and safety ring. It will provide you the exact same effect like someone wrote before.
It is not really a problem i can always make my own double ring but i thought that the system was very neat. You had suicide mode for unhooking but you ware still able to flag the kite if necessarily, with out reattaching the leash to different point. Every one i showed the system like it a lot, And a couple of other brands went to this system lately.

machista87
Medium Poster

Postby machista87 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:42 am

Hey Motion

I must admit I was one of those fans of this system, but since I figure out the problem of it I stoped using it.
The thing is that its work great untill you pulling your depower, than the safty ring can go down only untill the bottom of the chicken loop, whats cause a slack on the safty line wich isnt safe for your fingers (especially on handle passes).

yoav_at_blade
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Diego, CA
Israel
Favorite Beaches: Langabaan, Safety Bay, Julien, Kinneret, Ras Abu Lagon
Style: freeride
Gear: Blade Trigger, Prime and Fat Lady
Brand Affiliation: Blade Kiteboarding

Postby yoav_at_blade » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:21 pm

faklord wrote:Yoav,
Thanks for the explanation.
I have the previous blade bar, and find the safety line wears pretty quick where it goes thro the bar and has to be replaced fairly regular. Not a great problem, as the consequence of it snapping (which it has done once) is just loss of safety (or loss of kite if you have fired the quick release)
With the new system, if the safety snapped where it goes through the bar, do you loose a front line?...if so, not so good.

Regards
Dave

Hello Dave.

Just like the old system, you do not loose a front line if the safety line snaps. That is because there is a stopper knot right before the line leaves the swivel. This will be much more clear once you see the system up close.

Regarding Laughingman's comment, thanks for pointing that out. I made a mistake. The true breaking strengths for the steering lines and center lines are 310 kg and 400 kg, respectively.

Good day.
Yoav

beboun
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Almanarre ( méditeranean ,France )
Favorite Beaches: Boracai, Almanarre, Koh phangan
Style: free ride
Gear: 9m best

Postby beboun » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:42 pm

I ordered two 2013 bars and I'm still waiting for it.
I'm really happy with the my new 2013 Prime quiver (7,9,11), the kite goes so well in each size. Really a good kite, I'm stocked.
I noticed that it just need a little more air pressure than 2012 model.
I'm looking for the bigger chicken loop model. Someone knows where I could find it ?
Cheers from France.

world_kite_addict
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Ventana, Diamond Head
Style: freeride

Postby world_kite_addict » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Here's the first review I've seen of the bar.

http://www.iksurfmag.com/issue36/?page=137

eran m
Frequent Poster

Postby eran m » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Jinx
Rare Poster

Postby Jinx » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:23 am

So i received the final production version of the UNI bar and the finished version is even better than the proto's, im in the middle of shooting some pics and video for you guys which will hopefully be finished over the weekend and posted up.

had a quick session on it yesterday and did everything i could to stick the swivel and even carefully sprinkled sand into it to try and jam it. the swivel works very well and passed my torture test!

Everyone else its so close now you can smell it, the wait has made this bar even sweeter than it already is!

Return to “Kitesurfing”