Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby L0KI » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:17 pm

:
Last edited by L0KI on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:What kind of winds do folks paddle SUP boards in?
Depends on the wind direction surf..but I have used my SUP in well over 20 knots for surfing...if the surf is good then no problem. People that does downwinders feels the more wind the better.
10 knots is nothing.

Like kiting it is different to say that no one use a SUP in such and such wind is not really feasible. How can we know that?

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North
Been thanked: 0

Postby BigPaul » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:37 pm

Well this thread has taught me a lot.

1. It does not matter what lengths someone goes too to try and back up their product, people will always try and tear it down.

2. The opinions of some forum users that I thought I could trust, I'm starting to doubt.

3. This is quite possibly the most negative forum I've come across.

4. There is no such thing as bad press, whatever the reasons for this thread. It has brought a lot of attention to this brand.

5. People do say some of the most absurd things to try and back up their apparent knowledge of a subject

6. Mr D tries harder than any other brand I've come across to try and please his customer base.

7. Lastly and most important everyone has an opinion on everything and the right to voice it.(pity not all are worth listening too, mine included).

Going to give this forum a miss for a few months, hopefully the negativity will have abated by then.

Have a good Christmas

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:56 pm

BigPaul...I disagree.

Personally I think this is one of the most interesting posts this forum has seen for a long time. Why? It's a return to how this forum used to be, when people could speak freely and challenge other's opinions.

It's a great thread because we have a kite manufacturer who has made some very aggressive claims....who has been prepared to put himself in the public eye and attempt to back up his claims. And I think that's an admirable effort from Dimitri...can't ask much more than that.

On the other side, we have an experienced guy who challenges those claims. He has fronted up, despite being bullied and insulted. He has posted video, agreed to meet and test the kite - and put himself right out there in the public eye too. That's very admirable.

I'm intrigued to hear what he has to say.

I'd say that's a great thread.....enjoy your break BigPaul.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:05 pm

From looking at the video on the SUP the wind does not look that light, although it is pretty light. I would say it was 6-9 knots or something like that. Like most kitesurfers I am sceptical when someone tells me their kites can do something the others cannot. I am sure the Infinity is a good kite, but I just dont believe it is miles ahead of lightwind models from Slingshot, North, BEST, Cabrinah, Ozone etc who have alot more resources to put into R&D.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Big Paul, sorry to see you lose your spark for the forum because of threads like this. Don't take it so seriously.

My personal issue was just a claim of 2-4 knots kiting on a SUP.

7 knots we all know is possible.

I think it is awesome that Dimitri is on the forum, and I love his enthusiasm, but it does not mean that we other forum users cannot say hey wait a minute when the enthusiasm turns maybe a little unrealistic.

The point that many is trying to make is not saying anything abut the kites Dimitri makes, but that right now it is just not possible to kite in 2-4 knots.

..but there is not need for the vitriol you can to some extent see in the thread. I guess PMU's title is a little inflammatory....

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:41 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Kiteus Maximus wrote:
Hey thanks for proving my point !
The blue line was the actual wind :lol:
He started around 1pm...when wind was 9mph....and then it picked up to 11 and 12 mph :thumb:
The wind direction was S to SSW
On that wind direction in Cocoa Beach..there is 3-6kn on the beach sand..but 9-10kn on water

On that wind direction (side to side side off) in Cocoa Beach..even at 12kn you get zero ripples....
...in the ocean....it looks deceiving to the untrained eye...the glassy ocean...on Southerly winds

So not the "total" information was revealed by the SUP hero
OH and i forgot one more detail..
....it was a North swell with light current flowing southward against the wind :naughty:

NOW that is full disclosure of the facts base on my knowledge of the place
And still ...some of you will side with someone who only been in my town for 2 days :wink:

.................... ...P.S. I am the one who set-up the SUP rental for him....................

.....................P.S. I took him on a grand tour personally..for one hour... of all our local kites spots......

............P.S. this was a friendly showdown on Tuesday...and soon you will see a video................

............P.S......side by side my 19 flew in the exact same amount of very LW (4kn estim.) than his

...........P.S.....Dimitri is a extremely nice guy and i had lots of FUN that day with him.... :surf: ......
I'm not siding with anyone. I just think you are an old dick head who likes to flame others. You obviously have some deep seeded issues with Dimitri.

You also have poor reading comprehension because you missed the point of my post. That blue line is bull shit was the point. I said it in another post. I have kited hundreds upon hundreds of sessions where the forecast NEVER reflected the actual wind conditions. I've seen that blue line below 10 when I was riding 20 kts. I've seen that blue line spike to 40 kts when the wind never got above 15 kts. Unless you were there then how can you refute the claim? Just to flame?

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:07 pm

There seems to be alot of very new people joining the forum who are extremely pro Epic in this arguement. Seriously stop trying to BS people, it isnt going to work. Someone comes on the forum saying his LEI kite can fly in 2-4 knots when most people cant even fly ram air lightweight kites in a force 1 what do you expect?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:18 pm

I think he may have a man crush... not that there is anything the matter with that... although I suppose that could be consider a deep seeded issue as well...

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:16 pm

So if 2 people on the beach have a windmeter, and they both get an average of 2.7 to 6 knots. Is it safe to assume its really around 4.5 knots? And if someone gets out with that kind of wind shouldnt he safely say the winds where around 3/6 knots?
I think 99% of all the riders would agree on that. Everybody also seems to agree that a little higher the wind probably is stronger. But the kite still needs to come up there and most people would still call it a 4.5 knot session.

Now i know the first try Dimitri had with the SUP/infinity combo some windmeters were there and it gave a 2.7 to 5/6 knot average. Now i would definitily say it is a 4/ 4.5 knot session.
No matter what so called facts others give why the wind would be different then that.. its normal windmeters that most of us can use and rely on.

Dimitri at least gave us some videos to judge for ourselfs. The vids made in Hatteras are really insanely low-wind. No matter how you turn this the video speaks for itself. If i see the footage i sure would believe someone with a windmeter telling me its 3 knots.

The last video i would say a little more maybe 5/6 knots. What an military base says a certain distance from there is an nice indication but i wouldnt call that accurate for that spot. (note i have never been there maybe they only 5meters away from eachother but i expect it will be a mile or more out of the way)

Personally i really enjoy the fact Dimitri taking the time on the forums and actually giving awnsers. And sharing his enthousiasm for the sport and his brand. To bad some people rather see a brand that sells kites from far away and you can send mails to and hope they return an awnser.

Well enjoy the discussion. But i'll be sure i get my hands on a V3 next year.

Return to “Kitesurfing”