Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:49 pm

The key word in his quote is PERFORM

"Less than 7 knots" of wind power on the water is very very little power :wink:

That means 6.0 to 6.5 kn average which is a wind of 5.0 to 7.5 max and no more wind than that

You could add to that the fact that some believe they are riding in 2-4kn...
....when they could very well be truly slowly gliding in steady 5kn (which by the way is very acceptable)
.....on an 11 foot long SUP

................................................ :thumb: ...............................................................
Last edited by SupaEZ on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:30 pm

DrLightWind wrote: @frankm1960, I don't think you should wait on me :!:
but maybe you should develop a light wind skill yourself like Dimitri in 2 - 4 kn SUP-ing
and prove it for yourself and everybody it can be done with your weight :idea:

The reason is It's You Not Me;
Because my testing value and creditability doesn't count and doesn't mean sh!t here :kiff:
Why :?: Because I'm light weight 130 lbs, that's why :!: :!: :!:
According the experts on KF here and from the past :bye:

DrLW
I hear ya :)

Hope ya get some good winds.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:58 am

Hello Bille and Happy New Year.
I remember you emailed me about demoing some EPIC kites but the timing wasn't right for both of us. It has been few month since then, so let me know when you want me to send you a kite for you to test.
:thumb:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Dimitri M wrote:Hello Peter aka (Laughingman),
I just found out that the INFINITY V2 demo kite that I am expecting this week from a customer won't be here to send you because he decided to buy it. My wife just informed me about this few minutes ago, and I was unaware of this transaction since I was expecting that demo to come back this week.
So I am going to send you my own INFINITY V2 complete with bar, it has been used 3 times. And will ship it to you today so you can have it for your Cuba trip on the 26th of January. Once you get back from your trip please send it back to me as soon as possible because I have other people wanting to demo it.
I got all your shipping info and will be sending you the FED EX tracking number later on this afternoon. Have a great trip and be safe.

P.S. Mr.Pump me up you are next.
You're funny Dimitri,
I think we have already dealt with all the particulars within our email thread. No need to repeat them here...

Dimitri has asked that I let all you guys know what is going on so here it is... it is not really on topic of the OP but this is where Dimitri last corresponded about this on the forum so my guess is this is where he would like me to post.
Yes its true, I am going to demo the Infinity V2 and why not, so far my opinion of the Infinity has been based on the purple/pink prototype of the version 1.
I'll recap what I said before (back in 2010/2011) about the purple/pink prototype of the infinity 1
pros
1. it was very stable in very light wind... it would just hang there while other big kites would be falling out of the sky
2. It was very easy to relaunch in very light wind, no running or anything ... just depower it and pull a line and the thing would roll over
3. the bar set up was easy to use and straight forward

cons.
1. (for me) it sat too far back in the window making edging up wind almost impossible unless you were on a light wind specific board
2. and if you were on a light wind board it was easy to loose speed control since edging against it was near impossible

These two cons actually worked in heavier riders favor. I'm only 175lbs. 200lbs plus riders loved this kite.

3. the plastic clip release system did not make me feel comfortable considering how many times I've seen them break, I understand there is a new release system in testing so I assume this will be solved shortly.

When I get back I will report on these 6 points and any other things that come up.

Also, I must say Dimitri has been very professional and has shown excellent customer service throughout this process. I feel it is very generous of him to send me his own personal kite although I'm pretty sure if you own the company all of the kites are yours...lol. Anyhow, all told, so far this experience has been better then any other experience I've had when considering a purchase of just about anything... ever...
Now lets hope the kite performs as I hope it does.

Sincerely
Pete

P.S. Just received the kite a week earlier than needed, to bad we have no snow.... Dimitri even threw in a gift for my wife... somehow I suspect this was Helen's idea.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Dimitri M wrote:Hello Bille and Happy New Year.
I remember you emailed me about demoing some EPIC kites but the timing wasn't right for both of us. It has been few month since then, so let me know when you want me to send you a kite for you to test.
:thumb:

Absolutely !!
I would Like to try your machine ; i need to deal with securing
parts for my new prosthetic(s) first though. I kinda used the
ones i have all up. The only parts i can make for myself is the
carbon section that actually grips what's left of my legs.

Thanks for remembering me ; i'll get hold of you when i got
shinny new legs & knee braces.

Bille

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Absolutely !!
I would Like to try your machine ; i need to deal with securing
parts for my new prosthetic(s) first though. I kinda used the
ones i have all up. The only parts i can make for myself is the
carbon section that actually grips what's left of my legs.
Thanks for remembering me ; i'll get hold of you when i got
shinny new legs & knee braces.
All the pleasure is mine Mr.Bille, you really amaze me. :thumb: Just let me know when you are ready, but let me know 3 weeks in advance.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:48 pm

.....Now lets hope the kite performs as I hope it does.
Sincerely
Pete
P.S. Just received the kite a week earlier than needed, to bad we have no snow.... Dimitri even threw in a gift for my wife... somehow I suspect this was Helen's idea.
No the Tank Top gift was for you Pete aka (Laughingman). You have to wear it when demoing the INFINITY V2 kite. This is the only way you will be able to plane in such light winds (7 to 10 knots).
(see picture bellow. No body is perfect.)
Attachments
Dimitri and a kiter on women Tank Tops.jpg

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Hah! Beth will disappointed... :)

Curious, she's 120lbs. Do you think she can handle this kite in winds up to 10 knots?

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Poster: Laughingman
Curious, she's 120lbs. Do you think she can handle this kite in winds up to 10 knots?
Hello Pete,
I am sure she will be able to ride it, but the best thing will be to have her test it and see it for herself.
This is a video of 2 other women demoing the INFINITY V2 & V3 in really really light winds. One of them was around 120lbs and the other one was around 140 lbs. But they were using a big Twin Tip board (OXYGEN 135x47cm). So if the winds is around 9 to 12 knots make sure she uses a smaller Twin Tip board (40 to 41 cm wide) will be great. Any way just enjoy it and test the kite with different boards. Personally I can ride the INFINITY V2 in (6 to 12 knots) max using the OXYGEN Twin Tip board and have fun, and I am 180 lbs. But then when the wind picks up from 10 to 16 knots I have to switch boards and use a smaller Twin Tip board such as the DROID (135X41cm) or just change kites and use the SCREAMER 14 or RENEGADE 13 with the OXYGEN Twin Tip board. It is just a matter of choice and what you are use to.
So in few words I enjoy the INFINITY V2 in (7 to 12 knots) max. After that I can use the SCREAMER14 or the RENEGADE13 depending what I am in the mood for.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flight Time » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:13 am

Hey when I went to your demo, Cameron was ripping it up on the V3 for a while, and he weighs what, like 90 lbs soaking wet?

Return to “Kitesurfing”