Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide
Has thanked: 0

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby PBKiteboarding » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:26 am

-
The First guy flying in Lighter winds had a 21m Best C Kite years ago. I said "Wow that's great! I want to do that!" So the Journey was on to Kite More... I used to Fly a 17m 19.5m and even tried a 22m Inflatable for Lightwinds...
Even a 15m Flysurfer is about the power of a 17-18m SLE. Now as Many know Ozone Made the Edge 19m for Racing to cover more range down to the 6 knots racing minimum. So sure kites fly in that low of wind especially on a Floaty raceboard.

They can only go so light and many that only want Inflatable like the Ozone Zephyr 17m and don't need more power.
But reality for us is very lightwinds in Summer... ah well, really many days in Spring and fall as well.

The Kiters that do well here also ride Floaty Raceboards we see time to time. But when the wind drops below 6-7knots or so, they go in since they know if the kite drops or they fall forward and lose apparent wind the weight or the kite really comes into effect and bring the kite down, while the Flysurfer will stay up.

But really you have to have the kites up in the air together or to have been through it all to figure it out. If you stick with Inflatables then sure maybe the less struts and lighter weight will stay up better...but if that lightwind inflatable has to be used for stronger winds and heavier guys it will most likely be a bit heavier and well build to last longer and take more abuse.

If you biggest kite is a 13m or 14m sure a 17m Inflatable will help a bit. 19m will help a bit more.

Many time there is no wind by the Beach and Kites are grounded... The Speed 21m will stays up in 3 knots or so... to at least keep (Like my video below) it up to get out there for a bit more wind. We get crap wind allot... "Necessity the Mother of Invention" Just depends on how low you want to go...
I got many Kiters with more power and doubling riding time.... Even 200+lbs and more... Kind of Addictive. Now looking forward to Summer... :wink:

Get a Scale and weight some kites for those nasty Lulls... also to think about for Power to Weight Ratio and wind range for overall usability.

Paul

www.PBKiteboarding.com

Here are 2 of my Lightest days.... Many more of us are Flying the
Flysurfer 21m and Flyrace. The kite stay in the air (Lighter Weight) and the Flyrace Fin Pumps 5-6 kite size in Power.

This Day is Even lighter. Pumping out apparent wind is the way to keep things going.

Good to know Inflatables and Closed Cell Foils to figure it all out... Here on a
Ozone Zephyr 17m and Aboard Glider 164x50 can pretty light and is enough for many.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Hey Paul

No doubt those flysurfers are light wind machines, too bad it didn't work out in Cuba when we met. I am very curious if the speed is right for me.
Anyways, whats with all this damn ice still on the lakes?

Pete

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:59 pm

Come to TO one day see many of us out for sure now....especially in under 10 knots.
Some even use the 21m in 6 to 15 knots regularly, so they don't have to switch.

Really to on the 21m is the power. I always simple examples at time too.
Say you are on a 17-18m inflatable and have to walk up the beach.
Can only go back and forth down wind... no jumping or tricks of course.
We solve our frustration by just putting up a 21m, to have the same power we would if it were windier on a smaller kite...
So, then you have power and in the same wind you are flying upwind and doing all the same riding as before. Part is addiction to being well powered.

Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com

We now go around the lighthouse at Cherry regularly even on the smaller kites. See me and Jason here. I'm on 12m he is on 15m We know we have a range to get back.

But still this is 10-12 knots only or so... with the 15m power of 17-18m Inflatable.
See the Bay we get to in 2:24

Ah yes staying sane with the wind and what mother nature brings...
Ready for Summer and trying to work with the ice...
Just out 2 days ago with the itch to kite, at least there is wind in winter on my 8m Speed 4 here....
Smaller kites sure turn faster, but eh, summer will be summer...

Ah what the Heck here on my 8m too on a snowboard.... main kite this winter...

Laughingman wrote:Hey Paul

No doubt those flysurfers are light wind machines, too bad it didn't work out in Cuba when we met. I am very curious if the speed is right for me.
Anyways, whats with all this damn ice still on the lakes?

Pete

Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dan Glyaire » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:45 pm

haha..
a 'Pump Me Up' troll thread about b.s claims. , has now turned into a foil pimp thread..
too funny!
:rollgrin:

ShredThaGnar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 2nd Ave N.
Wiggins Pass
Tigertail Beach
Big Hickory Island
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Skyway
Curry Hammock
Veterans Beach
Coco Plum
Jetty Island
Style: The Freshest
Gear: 2015 14m FX
2016 11m Chaos
2013 9m RPM

2016 Naish DUB 138X43
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby ShredThaGnar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:36 am

I just want to show some love to the infinity because i found this kite to be sick. I ride boots and can do all of my wakestyle and freestyle tricks in 10kts. This kite is great. haters can hate but after flying this kite for a season i am nothing but happy. Someone posted about being pulled downwind, thats bologna. i ride this kite in 7-10kts all of the time on an oxygen or skimboard and and i stay up wind just fine. i way 165lbs. I have no affiliation with epic like i said before. Maybe this kite isnt the kite for you but if it is, i bet you completely agree with me. when this kite is put in 12kts or more thats when you can really enjoy the kite. I ride a slingshot lunacy or custom with boots in 12kts or more. it boost very well and and turns just as fast as my 12m naish park. Go buy an infinity you wont regret it. If you dont agree maybe you should just ask dimitri to try it out yourself and if you dont like it just return it. Oh by the way i just want to say that the v3 is much different than the v1. i own the v1 and i demoed the v3 and they are not the same. v3 sits more foward in the window and definitely has better lower end. i would take the v3 in anymore than 15kts or you will be over powered. thats all i got, peace out kite forum. oh, SupaEZ i dont care what you have to say.
Attachments
epic.jpg

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs

Postby PBKiteboarding » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:27 am

It will all be about what works in the end basically seeing the kites side by side as I see all the time
If Kiters don't know both Inflatables and Foils you just don't know the real deal.... so be wary... of smoke and mirrors for very lightwinds and lightwind power.

Make sure you have both options available so you are not pushe to one or the other so a Shop can sell you a 15m 19m 21m Flysurfer or Inflatable 17m 19m and get the one that will really do what you want it to do for you... :)

If you only ride Inflatable or only foils that is all you will know...
If you try both and get used to both you will now what we know and develop a personal preference.

I like to show myself riding Inflatables too Like the Zephyr above... and learned on C kites years ago... :) and still fly both when I feel like it, freedom of kiteboarding to pass on.
that covers a few things...
Having fun on an Ozone C4 here.... 10m... nice :)... But not for lightwinds...

Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs

Postby PBKiteboarding » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:01 am

These are the masters of lightwinds for Inflatable... Like Johnny. Adam... Riardo and others
Skill or course and the FLoaty Boards with huge fins to built and maintain
Apparent winds Speed kiting in 6 knots... Skill to ride these boards/Fins well.....
But not everyone wants to ride a Raceboard with long fins so you have to get the power from a more powerful kite.

Adam

Johnny & Group
http://www.johnnyheineken.com/

Ricardo

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs

Postby PBKiteboarding » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:19 am

Inflatables Racers go to 6 Knots with a raceboard info...
http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... Racing.pdf

But.... if they drop their kite, they may not get it back up since the apparent wind is gone....

c. Wind Speeds
i. If the wind speed is less than 6 knots average in the starting area between
the preparation signal and the starting signal, or the wind speed is dropping
below 5 knots at any time during the last minute prior to the starting signal,
the start shall be postponed and a new starting sequence initiated as soon as
the wind strength is sufficient.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:38 pm

[quote="Toby"]
I once had a session where the water was glassy...and 10m above surface we had 20 knots.
One of my coolest sessions ever ;-) [quote]

It is a good thing you did not make a video of yourself and make a BS claim about how little wind was in the kite :lol:

We would have had to start a new thread and bust in you :wink:

I like you Toby....you BELIEVE in vertical gradient wind :thumb:

This thread is not so much about the kite itself...but more about BS being claimed by owner / solo advertiser of Epic INF.

........................................................:surf: :sun: ................................................................................

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:53 pm

[quote="PBKiteboarding"]-

The Speed 21m will stays up in 3 knots or so... to at least keep it up to get out there for a bit more wind.

Paul [quote]

It is a good thing you did not claim that you could ride on the water in 3 knots....so thanks for not claiming that :thumb:
We would have had to also start a new thread and bust on you too :lol:

6 knots compare to 3 knots creates 4 times more pull on the front lines to get you going on water
4 1/2 knots compare to 3 knots creates 2 1/4 times more pull on the front lines

.................................... :surf: :sun: ...............................................................................
Last edited by SupaEZ on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”