KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby KiteCulture » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:16 am

Can someone hold my popcorn....I gotta take a whizz. I don't want to miss anything.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:22 am

KiteCulture wrote:Can someone hold my popcorn....I gotta take a whizz. I don't want to miss anything.
Lol, just leave it on your seat, I'll watch it for yah... I promise, just like I can kite in wind speeds that are sub walking speed.....

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dj A-Ron » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:26 am

SupaEZ wrote:2-4kn wind riding was the original claim on SUP :whisper:

Now instead he prefers to say he rides in less than 5kn on a SUP :lame1:

Still BS....just with a different stink :shit:
I'm gonna say it one last time...I was there that day. I flew the kite. It was only 2-4 knots. It didn't feel like hardly any wind at ground level.

Was there some magical Hatteras wind that you say exists...? Maybe, but it was crazy to witness the kite fly in those light winds. I know you and your support crew don't believe it but it happened.

ym
Medium Poster
Style: Wake

Postby ym » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:13 am

And I can assure I did witness too..... I am not going to say that he "kited" like how we kite in 20 knots of wind, but he sure was on the board and moving forward....
Fact is a fact.... :D

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Laughingman wrote:
[b]Fight Time[/b] wrote:
Supa LOOK-AT-MEEE!!! wrote:
EPIC,INFINITY overstated low end

COMPANY EXECUTIVE should apologize :sorry:

Are sanctions the way to go :?:
Wave your flag, Supa. March on Capital Hill. You're like the westboro baptist church (intentionally uncapitalized). The only attention you deserve and get is negative attention, because only things that come from your pie hole are hate and negativity.

This coming from the guy who wants to punch Supa in the neck over and over again? Talk about passive aggressive...
No, man, that's just plain aggressive. Passive aggressive is Supa's deal. Passive aggressive is putting on a falsely pleasant outside veiling one's ill will. Or as Wikipedia puts it:

Passive-aggressive behavior is a category of interpersonal interactions characterized by an obstructionist or hostile manner that indicates aggression, or, in more general terms, expressing aggression in non-assertive, subtle (that is, passive or indirect) ways. It can be seen in some cases as a personality trait or disorder marked by a pervasive pattern of negative attitudes and passive, usually disavowed, resistance in interpersonal or occupational situations.

I can deal with being just plain aggressive. :lol:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Dj A-Ron wrote:
SupaEZ wrote:2-4kn wind riding was the original claim on SUP :whisper:

Now instead he prefers to say he rides in less than 5kn on a SUP :lame1:

Still BS....just with a different stink :shit:
I'm gonna say it one last time...I was there that day. I flew the kite. It was only 2-4 knots. It didn't feel like hardly any wind at ground level.

Was there some magical Hatteras wind that you say exists...? Maybe, but it was crazy to witness the kite fly in those light winds. I know you and your support crew don't believe it but it happened.
Dj A- Ron

So you think i have not been out on the water many many times in those exact type of conditions?

I did not even need an SUP to pull it off...and i could hardly feel any wind at ground level.

Magical....surreal...call it what you want...but those kind of conditions....you never forget

The only way to "experience those days" is to put a LW kite...
..... up "no matter what you think" the wind is

Most people would just turn around and go home

Most people do not own LW specific kites (16-17-18-19-20-21m2) ......
....and therefore are in total amazement when they get to see something like that !!

We can all see that it happened...it is on video...so no reason not to believe that part

The part that should not be believed is the claim...from the marketing department of Epic

The sad part is that you are buying his BS because of who he is

To witness like you say such LW conditions riding is crazy...not too many people have

To ride in those conditions is even more crazy

Welcome to light wind vertical gradient sessions

The only way once again to ever ride those conditions is to own a LW specific kite and board....
......then always test the wind by putting the kite up

There is more.....you have to go on the glassy water and give it a go also

The wind over the water can be quite different ....more laminar and stronger than on land

If after doing all that you can't go...then there is insufficient "wind power in your LW kite"

That is when you go home.....after you tried

If you can kite then you can tell everyone that you had a crazy session in what felt like no wind

But if someone asks you how much wind you think was in your kite

It would be BS to say 2-4kn in the kite
It would be BS to say less than 5kn in the kite

A kite needs more wind power than that....especially when it is less than 17m2 and on 22m lines

This thread would not even exist if HE would have said STEADY 5-6kn in the kite

THAT WE COULD BELIEVE MORE

....................................... :pump: :surf: :sun: :party1: ............................................................

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:38 pm

SupaEZ wrote:This thread would not even exist if HE would have said STEADY 5-6kn in the kite
Maybe... or if you and the op had done a normal kite review like everyone else...you know... where you try out the equipment for a few sessions and document your experience and other pertinent details... the normal useful stuff....

But I'm some glad you didn't cause this is waaaaaaaaaay more fun :D

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!

Postby Aummm » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Laughingman wrote:Please keep on posting the rabbit hole you are digging is Infinite, just like the bs 2-4 knots epic claims as kiteable.... On a sup, or ship, doesn't make a difference,it is a lie, you know it, I know it, and now everyone knows it.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

STOP THE BS AGAIN & AGAIN!! NOBODY CAN KITE IN 2 -4 KNOTS
Loosers, not even a creditable designer supporting it's possible :argue:

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Extraordinary. I believe that if one's point hasn't been made adequately in the first few pages of this thread (if that), a hundred or more additional pages may serve to do little but demonstrate poor communication and time management skills (tens of thousands of dollars worth of time apparently already invested in this thread).

At a glance, it appears to me the dispute arises from a claim of flying a kite in 2-4 knots of wind.

My condensed thoughts on the matter:

- Such claims are only estimates, for more reasons than I care to articulate, and subject to exaggeration.
- No commercially available leading-edge-inflatable traction kite will fly in 2 knots of apparent wind.
- No such kite is likely to fly in 4 knots of apparent wind either.
- Such kites will, however, fly in 4 knots of true wind, if the apparent wind is sufficient, which is a function of the operator's speed, which in turn is related to the type of craft he or she is riding. A SUP, kayak, or other craft which doesn't rely on dynamic (planing) forces for "flotation" is ideal for such an endeavour. For example, an SUP moving slightly upwind of a beam reach at 4 knots, in 4 knot true wind, will experience apparent wind of approximately 6 knots, which I believe is near the 'flying' threshold of good light wind kites. In such a circumstance, the kite will presumably fall if the SUP's forward speed diminishes substantially.

Cheers,
James

Return to “Kitesurfing”