Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Pump me up wrote: Walking backwards with a kite is NOT a recognized way of testing low-end.

But then NOBODY else in the history of kitesurfing has ever made the ridiculous claim that their kites can fly in "2-4 knots" and stay upwind (on a SUP or whatever).

It would be EASY to test Epic's "2-4 knot" claim by putting up the Infinity in a school hall or similar & walking backwards at the standard walking velocity of 2.7 knots. Result: The kite would drag along the floor like a huge mop. Zero air time.
:thumb: EASY way to test low-end is to walk forward towards a kite if "you think" it is "blowing 3kn"

Yesterday for example we had 10kn....then 8kn...then 7kn..then 6kn..then 5kn turning onshore

The kite was still flying (19) but for sure was impossible to go and ride the ocean

At 5kn kite still flying overhead i had to walk slowly (1kn) towards the kite to get on the beach sand

I was successful by pacing myself

If i would have walked at normal speed (2.7kn) towards kite...
.... the lines would have slacked soooooo much that the kite would have totally backed down

My kite does NOT stay up in 5.0kn less 2.7kn = 2.3kn :wink:

........... :pump: :pump: :pump: :surf: :surf: :surf: :sun: :sun: :sun: ..............................................

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:47 pm

Testing the INFINITY V3 in 14 to 18 knots here in the GRENADINE islands while using a smaller board (DROID 135X41cm) to be able to hold the kite better. While every body else was on 12 and 14 meter kites.
Attachments
DSC_0122 51.jpg
Testing the INFINITY V3 in 18 knots.jpeg
Testing the INFINITY V3 in 18 knots.jpeg (40.28 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
_Z5A1858 25.jpg
Testing the hight end of the INFINITY v3 in 14 to 18  knots while every body where on 12 and 14.jpeg
Testing the hight end of the INFINITY v3 in 14 to 18 knots while every body where on 12 and 14.jpeg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:13 pm

I flew the V3 in 15 knots with my directional Whip 5'7" x 18 5/8" Quad x 2 1/8"...i am 75 kg / 165 lbs

No problem at all...very manageable

With those short 22m lines ...18 knots would be .....EASY :thumb:

................... :surf: :sun: ................................................................................................................

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby DrLightWind » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:04 am

SupaEZ wrote:
Pump me up wrote:Walking backwards with a kite is NOT a recognized way of testing low-end.

But then NOBODY else in the history of kitesurfing has ever made the ridiculous claim that their kites can fly in "2-4 knots" and stay upwind (on a SUP or whatever).

It would be EASY to test Epic's "2-4 knot" claim by putting up the Infinity in a school hall or similar & walking backwards at the standard walking velocity of 2.7 knots. Result: The kite would drag along the floor like a huge mop. Zero air time.
:thumb: EASY way to test low-end is to walk forward towards a kite if "you think" it is "blowing 3kn"

........... :pump: :pump: :pump: :surf: :surf: :surf: :sun: :sun: :sun: .........................................
Exactly, and here is the evidence when a kite has a light wind attribute,
the 360 can be done without a doubt :clap: :surf: :jump:

DrLW

Last edited by DrLightWind on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:21 am

Yes i once saw that done with a very lightweight 7 meter foil once in no wind...full circles 360's

Never however seen it done..... with an inflatable....yet

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:22 am

That 360 on that Ozone Foil is impressive he seems to be walking at a very slow speed. I can see how any kite that will fly in 2-4 knots can do a 360, since you will be able to create the wind required by jogging in a circle with it. Dimitri just needs to do a 360 with the Infinity V3 to finally prove his point. Seems like a very simple way to prove the lightwind capabilities of this kite and will certainly help sell more units since it will prove these claims are not just hype.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:33 am

Dimitri just needs to do a 360 with the Infinity V3 to finally prove his point. Seems like a very simple way to prove the lightwind capabilities of this kite and will certainly help sell more units since it will prove these claims are not just hype.
With all due respect Mr.UKSurf but I don't need help to sell more kites. So many people that had the chance to demo the INFINITY v2 or v3 were very impressed by its performance. So in few words they sell them self. Just try it...You never know you might be next emailing me wanting to buy an INFINITY V2 or V3 after demoing them.
:thumb:

By the way this is me today testing the INFINITY V3 prototype, but this time in (18 to 20 knots). I weight180 lbs and after today I found out this was the max I can hold the INFINITY v3 kite in, which is perfect because the INFINITY v3 was designed to be used from (6 to 12 knots) for 180 lbs riders and (8 to 18 lbs) for riders above 220 lbs. (see picture bellow).
Attachments
This is the expression you get while trying to hold the iNFINITY V3 in 20 knots.jpg
Testing the INFINITY V3 in 18 to 20 knots.jpg

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Dimitri M wrote:With all due respect Mr.UKSurf but I don't need help to sell more kites. So many people that had the chance to demo the INFINITY v2 or v3 were very impressed by its performance. So in few words they sell them self. Just try it...You never know you might be next emailing me wanting to buy an INFINITY V2 or V3 after demoing them.
I am sure the Infinity is a good kite. I was just refering to the controversy surrounding the claims that it will fly in 2-4 knots. Doing a 360 with it seems a very easy way of proving the kite can actually fly in extremely light winds. You seem to spend alot of time promoting the Infinity and this would certainly attract alot of attention

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:07 pm

UKSurf wrote:
Dimitri M wrote:With all due respect Mr.UKSurf but I don't need help to sell more kites. So many people that had the chance to demo the INFINITY v2 or v3 were very impressed by its performance. So in few words they sell them self. Just try it...You never know you might be next emailing me wanting to buy an INFINITY V2 or V3 after demoing them.
I am sure the Infinity is a good kite. I was just refering to the controversy surrounding the claims that it will fly in 2-4 knots. Doing a 360 with it seems a very easy way of proving the kite can actually fly in extremely light winds. You seem to spend alot of time promoting the Infinity and this would certainly attract alot of attention
Doing 360 circles in 2-4 kn is in no way an indication that a kite...
... is capable of pulling a kiter across the water surface and keeping him upwind in 8kn (7-8-9) max

Many many LW kites will fly overhead in 4kn....
...but the pull on the main lines is totally insufficient to ride...
....on the water with kite totally parked at a 60 degrees angle

Remember a kite will start to back down in 3kn
Proof...just "walk towards" your kite at a speed of 3kn "if you believe" the wind in your kite is 6kn

............................. :surf: :sun: :party1: ..........................................................................................

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Poster: UKSurf
I don't know about 360 in 4 knots but all I know is that I was able to ride the INFINITY V3 on an SUP board in less then 5 knots and the kite was just seating there. Plus I was the only one kiting and having fun. I have tons of videos to prove it and lots of witnesses.
Also if I beleive in a good product I will promote it so people can have a great time. You can check the "EPICKITES 3G II" topic and you will see that I also spend a lot of time promoting the REEF Surf oardS, Twin Tip boardS, SCREAMER, RENEGADE, JUNIOR PRO, RACER and the JUDGE kites because I strongly beleive in the performance of these products.
Any way, time to go and milk a cow for my wife's coffee so I can go kiting.
Attachments
DSC_0087.jpg
DSC_0096.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”