Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 am

Just to reiterate the initial reaction was due to a claim of being able to kite in 2-4 knots. 2 knots on a SUP. Here we're talking about winds that are a lot stronger than 2 knots..(8 - 11 knots)....and still no luck?

Is it then fair to say that the 2 knots claim was a little over optimistic?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:04 am

I believe the initial claim was 2-4 knots (according to the meter at KHK that sits 40+ feet in the air, with random witnesses to confirm) on an SUP in the flat waters in front of Kitty Hawk Kites.
The video being referred to now, had SUPA on video calling out 4 knots steady, which is now a steadily growing number (currently at 11knots?) when on the water.
What it does prove, is that comparisons that are not confirmed by any technology, done by parties with an agenda on both sides, and all things not being equal at all (lineset lengths, boards types and sizes, and rider body weight)...makes for a pretty useless comparison.
Other than the very general information that both kites flew, and that lightwind kiting is boring.
Last edited by L0KI on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:36 am

Oldnbroken wrote:
SupaEZ wrote:321Kiteboarding is almost done with the movie ...bla bla bla bla bla...............emoticon smiley...............
We will let the video speak...bla bla bla bla emoticon smiley bla bla bla emoticon smiley..........
Interesting..Epic shot a simple video and posted it..in one day.
Unfortunately, as seems to often happen, the test was inconclusive with different line lengths, completely different boards, and different rider weights.
I would have hoped at least the two of you could get on the same board, so we could see something useful.
I saw what I already knew...big kites are boring and kiting in super light wind is a pain in the ass.
Meanwhile you been "threatening" for a month 321 is gonna put out a "Movie" that is gonna show....something.
How much doctoring does this video need?
Just post the video and shut up already.
I dont know why you get so upset whenever anyone questions one of Dmitri's over the top claims for his brand. I am sure Epic makes good kites but so do nearly every other brand out there. I can tell you that they are not streets ahead of the competition - as is claimed - just by using common sense. It is obvious that a 19m kite is going to have more power than a 15/16m kite like the Infinity, unless it is designed by an idiot and I doubt Core employs a fool to design their kites.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:03 am

:
Last edited by L0KI on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flight Time » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:16 am

UKSurf wrote:I dont know why you get so upset whenever anyone questions one of Dmitri's over the top claims for his brand. I am sure Epic makes good kites but so do nearly every other brand out there. I can tell you that they are not streets ahead of the competition - as is claimed - just by using common sense. It is obvious that a 19m kite is going to have more power than a 15/16m kite like the Infinity, unless it is designed by an idiot and I doubt Core employs a fool to design their kites.
It is obvious, and it should definitely NOT be a huge surprise to see Supa running his mouth again about his monolithic 19s and 21s and bashing Dimitri yet again with no provocation whatsoever this time. Promising and teasing some video that apparently needs many weeks worth of intricate editing to show that he is the champion of light wind kiting action, if you could call light wind kiting "action". It's like he likes to find a scab and pick at it and pick at it and pick at it and pick at it until someone reacts, and then he is all hugs and kisses and make-up, then he starts picking again. I'm Supa-rised that D can handle this without telling him to go f#ck himself, but it just goes to prove he is worlds better at promoting a brand than I would be. I probably would have simply punched him in the face for all the passive-aggressive internet bullying. Way to go D! Yet another page of promotion and hype for your most excellent brand! :thumb:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:30 am

Guys. The INFINITY v2 is not a 16 meter kite. :allbegood:
But guess what!!!! I am in Puerto Rico over powered on my RENEGADE 9.
Attachments
4.jpg

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:40 am

Oldnbroken wrote:I believe the initial claim was 2-4 knots (according to the meter at KHK that sits 40+ feet in the air, with random witnesses to confirm) on an SUP in the flat waters in front of Kitty Hawk Kites.
The video being referred to now, had SUPA on video calling out 4 knots steady, which is now a steadily growing number (currently at 11knots?) when on the water.
What it does prove, is that comparisons that are not confirmed by any technology, done by parties with an agenda on both sides, and all things not being equal at all (lineset lengths, boards types and sizes, and rider body weight)...makes for a pretty useless comparison.
Other than the very general information that both kites flew, and that lightwind kiting is boring.
SCHMACKDOWN pumpy :roll:
I am not trying to be facetious or anything, but try to use common sense.
Disregard that it was Dimitri who made the claim.

2 knots. Would you think you could fly a kite in 2 knots? Given what you know about kite weight, resistance, and how much energy there is in 2 knots ie. 3 mph.

And if the case is that suddenly the designer of Epic kites made this extraordinary discovery of anti gravity matter, why isn't the other companies that he designs for also all over it?

I've said it before I am willing to test, but I will not pay shipping anywhere. 2 knots. I can test that.

Also if you find light wind kiting boring you should try a raceboard :-)

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flight Time » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:04 am

I guess with a raceboard you could go faster, carve upwind better, stay up in lighter lulls, and have marginally more fun, but will it boost? It may be different for many of us, but for me, unless I can catch a little air, I'm not having a good session. :D

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:19 am

With all due respect Mr. tautologies but that day when I flew the INFINITY v3 in very very light breeze, it was blowing between (2.4 mph to 4.7 mph) and 16 other people witnessed this. So I rounded to 2 knots the lowest to 4 knots the highest. And the measurements were taken from the KITTY HAWK KITES store roof wind meter which is 40 feet above the water. From my experience, NO kite can fly in only 2 knots of wind except some of the indoor stunt kites I have seen fly in no wind. For the INFINITY v3 to fly, it has to be at least between 2 to 4 knots. Also in one of the videos from CoCoa beach FL you can see trying to fly the INFINITY V3 in less then 2 knots and the kite stayed up in the air only for few seconds and then fell out of the sky.
So again no kite can fly in JUST 2 KNOTS. It has to be 2 knots the lowest but with gust to 4 knots or more. I hope this makes sense. It made since to my 10 year old son after flying the INFINITY v2 & v3 that day in order to test its performance in such light conditions. (do you want me to show you that video again?) The INFINITY V2 had a hard time to stay up in the air compare to the INFINITY V3 in 4 knots and less.
Last edited by Dimitri M on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:08 am

Dimitri M wrote:So again no kite can fly in JUST 2 KNOTS.
I've different experience as 2 knots is roughly 1m/s. Let's re-phrase. No inflatable kite can fly in just 2 knots.

Again as a quick proof go to Youtube&Vimeo to see 360 degree circle kite videos. 1m/s = 3.6km/h which is a slow walking speed (normal walking 5-6km/h). You could not walk 360 circle with kite flying when kite is upwind of you. If you would need 1m/s for kite flying and another 1m/s for compensate wind which equals 2m/s or 7.2km/h slowish jogging speed but not a normal person walking speed.

Perhaps you Dimitri some day provide a kite video of inflatable flown a 360 kite circle? Before some naggers ask why/what's the point, I answer just to proof that it can be done.

Return to “Kitesurfing”