Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby FabsPH » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:58 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Toby wrote: I once had a session where the water was glassy...and 10m above surface we had 20 knots.
One of my coolest sessions ever ;-)

It is a good thing you did not make a video of yourself and make a BS claim about how little wind was in the kite :lol:

We would have had to start a new thread and bust in you :wink:

I like you Toby....you BELIEVE in vertical gradient wind :thumb:

This thread is not so much about the kite itself...but more about BS being claimed by owner / solo advertiser of Epic INF.

........................................................:surf: :sun: ................................................................................
Guess nobody can stop, neither can I.
Why, if someone with video proof, says that it's possible, people diss the crap out out of them?
All they say that it works, plus or minus a few knots.
This thread is so dam pointless, even after a few good follow ups on last page.
I can't believe you guys.
Oh well, I can't stop bitching about the f.up comments from f.up 's
It's like a drug...
..rehab anyone?
..hey, go kite... hear it's free.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:03 pm

FabsPH wrote: All they say that it works, plus or minus a few knots.

YES "plus" a few knots....because "minus" a few knots would mean -1 to 1kn of "claimed" wind speed

When i drink beer... a couple to me is 2......when i have a few beers it is 3

So you are correct...2-4kn.....plus a few knots....equals....5-7kn of wind in his kite :thumb:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Last edited by L0KI on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:59 pm

The Best Wind meter for me is to see a kite in the air
when I go to the beach since it can always be more wind up high
than on the beach. Many times it looks like we could kite.

Being the first guy is always the hardest to figure in super light stuff.
Hey maybe we should put a windmeter up on a trainer kite or big kite set on average.for a few minutes... then decide.

Put a wind meter on a big kite with a go pro pointing at it... Could even be fun to see the apparent wind when riding along.... Also stop once in a while out there.
For sure there is more wind up high and we know sometimes we bring our kites low and they can drop. So that's when LIGHT helps, on the upstroke. when super light, you have to dive the kite to get going and can't just leave it high.

Being able to keep the kite in the air on lulls of 2-3-4 knots for a short time (or if you fall forward and apparent wind drops to that) can make or break the day. That's why I have the about -2 pounds Deluxe Fabric. Since if the kite drops below a certain level on superlight it can be game over for the day. So the lightest and most power well balance non front heavy works best...

So If I saw an Inflatable in the air with a guys waiting for the wind to pick up
or on a stand up paddle board just floating along, so a good sign that there is some wind up there.

I would have a day like this on my 15m and Flyrace which end up being a great day.

On very lightwinds days Inflatable kite always drop first.... in the lulls.
Just Physics at play... and if we want to cover very lightwinds we just use what will get us more days
and keep us going, especially heavier riders.

Figured it out years ago and we see it all the time.
Here I lent my kite to a Customer a few years back..... 185 lbs.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:.

?????? What happened...you had a comment...then edited it
Send me a PM if you wish
BTW Britney :heartface: says Hi !

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby frankm1960 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:.
You've summarized this entire thread, over 1100 posts, with a single key stroke.
Brilliant man :thumb:

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 pm

No 3 knots kiteboarding, that's it with all the power of 21m and a Flyrace and skill... I can only keep the kite looping hopefully and moving to try to get to the beach without swimming...

But you should see 4-5 guys on 21m and Flyraces here trying to ride in Super light wall together man what a challenge, the most skilled get going first in the lowest... I'll be making longer fins and some experimenting with some other things... Some guys will put on 6m exteensions, all fun playing around...

Lightwind is a fun challenge and to be out there when it juts picks up enough for a good ride is a great feeling, quite a magical feeling, especially when other things in life seem boring.

Snowkiting with skis I can do 3 knots maybe... and best with the old Speed 2 19m with (Speed X) fabric they don't even make anymore....

You can't kite like this 3 knots with the kite like this.... but you can keep it dry lightweight to get a chance at it when the winds starts to come up a bit or get to a point out a bit (Out of Doming) where the wind is a bit better to be able to ride for the rest of the afternoon. The Kite has to be powerful and light to go through that point and even after that you have to have a powerful board to stay upwind and build apparent in super light.... also you can get back to the beach to most times after you find you can't stay upwind and the wind drops...

On a day like this... with out a big fin like on the Flyrace I could not stay upwind.... The fin acts as about 5 to 6 more kite power with water being 800 times more dense than air, that helps...

We have a Flysurfer that does work in 0-3knots.... and it's an Inflatable too... :). See below.... :0 know our limits... ah but that's after we try to kite and fail....

Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAn_ihLZ5c8
SupaEZ wrote:
PBKiteboarding wrote:-

The Speed 21m will stays up in 3 knots or so... to at least keep it up to get out there for a bit more wind.

Paul

It is a good thing you did not claim that you could ride on the water in 3 knots....so thanks for not claiming that :thumb:
We would have had to also start a new thread and bust on you too :lol:

6 knots compare to 3 knots creates 4 times more pull on the front lines to get you going on water
4 1/2 knots compare to 3 knots creates 2 1/4 times more pull on the front lines

.................................... :surf: :sun: ...............................................................................

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 pm

PBKiteboarding wrote: So If I saw an Inflatable in the air with a guy waiting for the wind to pick up
or on a stand up paddle board just floating along, so a good sign that there is some wind up there.

OK Paul i value your opinion because you push the limits of extra light wind

"Good sign that there is wind up there if you see someone on SUP with Inflatable floating along"

In your best estimate what could be achieved with a wide 11ft SUP tri-fin...
...with a LW low aspect 16 or so meters parked at a 45 to 60 degrees angle in relation to the water

What in your expert opinion is the wind speed in that kite if he is able to move along the water...
....at a steady slow pace without having to sine his kite ....
......and is able to jibe around and come back to starting point

Please select one of those choices of wind strengths in the kite:

1. 2-4kn
2. 3-5kn
3. 4-6kn
4. 5-7kn
5. 6-8kn

I want to know what you think is truly possible to do since you have so much practice in very LW

Thanks for discussing with us your views

Supa

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs

Postby PBKiteboarding » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:06 am

This is my guess... but really I go to the beach and even if there feels like no wind on the beach. I put up my kite and try since many days we've learned that it can be windier up high by the beach...

I think it's a very Smooth with with no lulls. Smooth winds make things so much easier for all of us.
6-8 or super smooth and that is up there... sure way lower at ground level can happen (Reading) ... if lower than 6 the kite fall like in the movie above.. and the Flysurfer stays up.
Those Race guys and IKA are serious and know lots... 5-7 with the kite moving with there great Skill... (which relates to there formula of minimum wind) They also have to deal with trying to keep races exciting and also the Manufacturers work hard on those kites you see racing... The style of kite with no backstall after rounding buys.... higher aspect and so on...

Almost like the start of a race session as they float on a race board ready to go.... with 17m kites and now to give the edge to some guys they have the 19m edge see how that goes.

In the end you try it all and it's more of a feel of what will work.... You have all the gear in your car and go to the beach... when you have all the choices you'll use what works (The Only way to know).... ah... I used to hate summer...
But when I'm kiting and there are kites that can't even get up in the air... and or falling in front of me on the water and I kite by and see it with my own eyes, and I rdie for many extra hours and upwind and jumping... there is not much to complain about.... It's just worth it...

I help my Customers all the time and even teach beginners to go upwind on these 21's...
when the wind is light... parts support all that stuff to really help them to maintain lightwinds success... Good to know the ins and outs and kite repairs and all...

And like Toby's post of the Dyno for example... See what happens when you try to make inflatable lighter....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2379773

Looking forward to a great Summer!

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:03 pm

[quote="PBKiteboarding"]This is my guess... but really I go to the beach and even if there feels like no wind on the beach. I put up my kite and try since many days we've learned that it can be windier up high by the beach...

I think it's a very Smooth with with no lulls. Smooth winds make things so much easier for all of us.
6-8 or super smooth and that is up there... sure way lower at ground level can happen (Reading)

[quote]

Well said Paul
The answer is #5. 6-8kn in kite on an SUP using a 16 to 17 m2 kite parked (no sine) on 22m lines

There is no such thing as #1. 2-4kn riding on any type of board on the water

Epic Myth is busted once again by an other ultra light wind expert

Once again his kite is just fine for some people but just does not have the low end "claimed"

.................................. :surf: :sun: ............................... :pump: ..............................................................

Return to “Kitesurfing”