Which Cabrinha kites?

Forum for kitesurfers
Champ
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which Cabrinha kites?

Postby Champ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks for useful answers. I forgot to mention that I will stick with Cab because of good experience with this brand so far. Probably Ill go for a couple of Xbows in the large sizes, round year 2011 or 2012 depending on the offers. But a 9m2 (Xbow) for the smallest kite is too big - does it make sense to get a switchblade round size 7, and Xbows size 10 and 14m2?
Also, will I be quit the problem of riding with straight arms and bend back with such new kites, or is my riding-style the problem?

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Champ wrote:Thanks for useful answers. I forgot to mention that I will stick with Cab because of good experience with this brand so far. Probably Ill go for a couple of Xbows in the large sizes, round year 2011 or 2012 depending on the offers. But a 9m2 (Xbow) for the smallest kite is too big - does it make sense to get a switchblade round size 7, and Xbows size 10 and 14m2?
Also, will I be quit the problem of riding with straight arms and bend back with such new kites, or is my riding-style the problem?
If you stick with Cab, go with 2012 models. 2011 had still this crap fabric.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:46 pm

Hey Champ,
How much do you weight? What board/size are you riding... and what style of riding do you mainly do? All this can help decide on your kite quiver Cabrinha model and sizes. As persons have already noted the 2006/2007 pulley bar kites are in many respects totally different. The Cabrinha Switchblade and Crossbow kite and bar have evolved nicely over the years. It will take a little adjustment when coming to the new kites... The one thing which the old pulley bar Cabrinhas had was lightning fast water relaunch. I still ride 2011 and 2012 Switchblades and no issues with canopy material. If you have straight arms when riding then you are possibly way over powered and possibly need to trim the kite using the trim straps. Changing the outside line knot or going down a kite size kite will also help. It is also possible that you might need to check your lines for stretch.

The new IDS bars are very impressive for both safety and simplicity. I personally prefer the 2012 bar over the 2011 as one can untwist the center lines while riding, plus the QR2 release is mechanical rather than velcro. Riding unhooked with the new 2012 IDS bar is in my opinion better. The 2011 bar is still very good and in many ways cators to the less experienced rider or a rider who is not really looping their kite or doing rotations in the air . With the IDS bar you will find that self lands and self rescue miles better than the older system where the kite would flag off a front line and still have some pull. Also with the older bar you had to ride either suicide (not really safe) or with the leash attaching above the bar which is a pain if doing rotations in the air. The 2006/7 Cabrinha kites where great for thier time, however there is no comparison now to the more recent Cabrinha kites.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SSK » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:14 pm

The following assumes you are sticking with Cab.

I agree with with what Bob (toyletbowl) and IWB2 said. As mentioned the SB is more versatile in that it will give you a very large wind range. It is good for wakestyle/freeride. The XBow is more focused on just going real fast and jumping high and good for light wind. They are also expensive, so for the average rider looking for a more all around kite, I would look at something besides the Xbow.

I have an 8,10 SB, I weigh 170 and this covers 90% of rideable days for me. If you ride a lot under 15kts you will need something bigger or alot over 30 you will need something smaller. If you way much more or less than your sizes would be different.

There is little difference between 2010, 2011, 2012 SBs in performance. Although the 2012 fabric is better than previous years, I would not say the other fabric was bad. So if you can get a 2011 for cheaper than 2012 I would consider going with the 2011. The 2012 bar had some neat ideas, but some significant problems with resetting the quick release. I actually prefer the older bar over the 2012 bar. There is, however, a significant difference between the 2012 and 2013 SBs as Bob mentioned. The 2013 is a more versatile kite than previous SBs. It turns much faster, relaunches much easier, and I would say the bar pressure is noticeably less. Although there are great deals now on the 2012s, if you can get a 2013 or wait then I would go with the 2013. Also as Bob said the 2013 bar fixed the problems with the 2012 bar. So that makes the 2013 bar worth it.

If you are a beginner to intermediate rider or you want the option for going in the surf you may want to consider Vectors in your smaller sizes. I have a 7 and 9 and they are really fun easy kites to ride. They do not have the range or performance of the SBs and you will probably not win any contests, but they do everything really well. They have low bar pressure, turn well, super easy relaunch, very stable, and decent pop. You can put them wherever you want. These are also the least expensive kite and do not have the name recognition as SBs or Xbows. You can pick these up pretty cheap. Not sure about the larger sizes because the do not have the low end like other Cabs.

The Drifter is a pure wave kite and the Chaos is the freestyle bridled C kite.

jherlong
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, NC
Favorite Beaches: Emerald Isle, NC,
OBX, Isle of Palms,SC, Aruba,Antigua,Barbuda,Key West,FL,Playa del Carmen,Grenadines
Style: Freeride, waves, rolls, air
Gear: Cabrinha SB 9 and 12, Apollo 14
Flysurfer Soul 12
Lyft foilboard
Cabrinha Ace
Shinn Monk 130 2010
Jimmy Lewis 133
Ben Wilson Drifter 5'9" and few other kitesurfboards
150 mako 2011

Postby jherlong » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:56 pm

I have full rebel quiver, 7, 10, and 12 with settings for low bar pressure on 2012. Love it! Take the time to see what fits you and your preferences best.

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:41 am

Straight arms and bent back when riding?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:24 am

poop stance is pretty common for cabrinhas. always felt overpowered no matter what. except with the small kites.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:24 am

poop stance is pretty common for cabrinhas
I am sorry. I have heard some stupid claims before, but that has to be up there. So let me get this straight, it has nothing to do with the fact that the rider is likely a novice? It has to do with the fact that Cabrihnas cause you to ride incorrectly? It is actually really common? Are you really suggesting this?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:58 pm

SSK wrote:
poop stance is pretty common for cabrinhas
I am sorry. I have heard some stupid claims before, but that has to be up there. So let me get this straight, it has nothing to do with the fact that the rider is likely a novice? It has to do with the fact that Cabrihnas cause you to ride incorrectly? It is actually really common? Are you really suggesting this?
Yes, almost every cabrinha rider I've seen rides hunched over. I think it has something to do with how much sheetable range you have, and how little the trim ropes affect anything. You end up powering and depowering a lot more using the bar and end up having to ride sheeted out a lot. Other kites that are more convenient to trim properly make it a lot easier to ride with your arms in the right spot. Also, bar pressure is so heavy it constantly wants to pull you forward. Ride whatever you want, this is just what I've observed.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:45 pm

I managed a school that sold tons Cabrihna's. My instructors and I all feel the switchblade 12s and 14s can pull hard but they tend to cup at the wingtips and back stall. I manage to use this to my advantage when jumping but it can seriously impede upwind-ability. I also think they relaunch terribly in lighter conditions. If going with 2012 switchblades, stick to 10's or smaller. The 9 is a pretty sweet kite overall. I suggest trimming 2.5-4 inches off the powerdrive spring. It helps the relaunch slightly. Also the new trim handles are easier and more comfortable to engage. No more balls. I really recommend the new chaos though. I don't like Cabs after riding and teaching on them for years, but if there were a kite to make me reconsider, the Chaos is it. Super smooth feel, fast and strong. The 2013 s/b is faster turning than the 2012's but doesn't have the same pull.

You could just switch to some RRD's though, I'm sure they would make you happy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”