All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bar and Lines Design thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:19 am 
Rare Poster

Does anyone have concerns with bars (such as Naish) that use a single line taking all of the load at some point on the front lines? How I see it is the weakest link theory...and my front lines are taking almost the entire load for part of them on one single relatively thin line. Being only connected with one line no thicker than any others bothers me as other designs are using two thicker lines for the entire length.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Bar and Lines Design thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:43 am 
Frequent Poster

Airush do the same, as does north, so it works!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:37 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Vancouver, Canada. rides Naish,Ozone,North, Spotz,Aguera
Look closely. The single line that takes the load of the two front lines is much thicker than the front lines.

:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

cglazier wrote:
Look closely. The single line that takes the load of the two front lines is much thicker than the front lines.

:wink:

Exactly, Takoon has also done this for years now, and this single front line is way stronger than the other "single" lines :D

In fact I would rather have a single front line break, than only ONE of the frontlines :x

If the single front line breaks, the kite just drops down on the rear lines, quite easy and gentle (have tried getting both frontlines cut, and seen many others where their depower line snapped).

Whereas if one frontline breaks only, when there are two, it will result in a violent fully powered death loop :o

So I think the advantages are bigger than any disadvantages ?
Actually - ARE there any disadvantages with a stronger single front line ? I dont know...

:D Peter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:36 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

If you are interested there is a video on YouTube that Mutiny did. They put meters on each line to see how the load gets distributed and how much force is actually pulling on each line during boosting, water starts, just riding, etc. might make you feel better ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:44 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

dyyylan wrote:
If you are interested there is a video on YouTube that Mutiny did. They put meters on each line to see how the load gets distributed and how much force is actually pulling on each line during boosting, water starts, just riding, etc. might make you feel better ;)

yeah, it is this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -fyN7wjN4#!

interesting, that center line never reached 75kg mark which was the riders weight. back lines got the rest of the load on them during the peaks, like jump at 1:40

although gauges seemed pretty inert (may be because the whole system was pneumatic), but the distribution of the loads on the lines during the ride was clearly visible.

[ 6 posts ]