Trimming the kite...

Forum for kitesurfers
Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Trimming the kite...

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Definitely an individual feeling type of thing. I personally like having my outside lines 2-3 inches shorter than the inside lines so when I boost I get more yank off the water. It also gives the kite more low end power.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:40 pm

@Peter_Frank - thanks for that :)

Since I use several kites on one bar the front line "shortening" will have to be achieved by using different knots on the kite pigtails. Any modification to the bar means the bar won't work with the other kites any more. I guess I could color code the knots on the leader lines for each kite but that would be an added rigging chore...and I'd probably forget to do it :lol:

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Kiteus Maximus wrote:Definitely an individual feeling type of thing. I personally like having my outside lines 2-3 inches shorter than the inside lines so when I boost I get more yank off the water. It also gives the kite more low end power.
I still mess with the relative line lengths as well... for similar reasons... but I don't think this is what's meant by "trimming" the kite.

For example... for me... when I'm kiting in reasonable powered up conditions, no trim, the bar is usually around 4" or so from the CL.... don't know why but it just is, maybe that's as far as I can reach... but does this mean my kite is fully powered or choking or under powered with the bar at that position? Until a person goes through the "trimming" exercise how do you know if that's the "sweet spot" as they say... for me I could very well be "choking" the kite and possibly not getting as much out of the kite as I could be. It's not that big of deal but I have found it hard to get my head around the trimming concept. I've always messed with the relative lengths of the lines to get more or less "power" from the kite for different conditions... but it doesn't sound like that's the same thing as what Peter is saying by "trimming" the kite.

Just some of my thoughts on it and hopefully not to convoluted.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:20 pm

frankm1960 wrote:Until a person goes through the "trimming" exercise how do you know if that's the "sweet spot" as they say... for me I could very well be "choking" the kite and possibly not getting as much out of the kite as I could be.
Believe it or not, this happens all the time. People can fly a kite for years without it being properly trimmed, too much slack or not enough in the rear lines, even the center lines can be off with one longer than the other, and they never notice until someone else flies the kite and notices it's screwed up.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:41 pm

@ edt
Exactly... I've probably been riding around all these years and not getting all what I could be getting from my kites. I don't think it's been that bad but I bet it could improve. I also think it's easier said than done in finding the "sweet spot" of the kite... probably requires a good amount of feel and trial and error.... lots of error haha!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:45 pm

frankm1960 wrote:I also think it's easier said than done in finding the "sweet spot" of the kite... probably requires a good amount of feel and trial and error.... lots of error haha!

it's incredibly easy to find the sweet spot. Once you do it you'll understand. Get someone to help you if you are having trouble getting the feel.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 am

The key to trimming is forget the terms "depower and power" they have nothing to do with trimming. If a kite is over sheeted and flying backwards you may have more bar pressure but you are actually losing lift which equals your power.

Simply put trimming is adjusting your bar position for your kite to fly at it's optimal angle of attack ( AOA ).

First trim point is at the kite and bridals. You know those knots on your pig tails or lines.
Second is at your trim strap or depower line how ever you want to call it.
Third and final is your bar which lets you make minor adjustments while riding.

Power is generated from lift caused by wind going over the foil that is our kites. It's this wind and the kite size that gives a kite power. If you really learn how to trim a kite you will find that you can fly a kite size smaller than you normally do.

Every kite is different and every rider is different so it all comes down to personal pref.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster

Postby frankm1960 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 am

TheJoe wrote: If you really learn how to trim a kite you will find that you can fly a kite size smaller than you normally do.
If I understand you correctly then I should be able fly the kites I have in lighter winds. (assuming I learn to trim my kites properly)

If that's the case then learning to trim will be well worth the effort and if the sweet spot is easy to find then that's a nice bonus.

I don't know about the OP but I'm not using bridled kites but that really shouldn't make a difference... they would all have a optimum AOA.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:42 am

frankm1960 wrote:
TheJoe wrote: If you really learn how to trim a kite you will find that you can fly a kite size smaller than you normally do.
If I understand you correctly then I should be able fly the kites I have in lighter winds. (assuming I learn to trim my kites properly)

If that's the case then learning to trim will be well worth the effort and if the sweet spot is easy to find then that's a nice bonus.

I don't know about the OP but I'm not using bridled kites but that really shouldn't make a difference... they would all have a optimum AOA.
Yes trimming applies to all 4/5 line kites. I fly C-Kites so no bridle.

As far as flying in lighter winds you have to understand how to trim the kite but all so how to generate apparent wind and keep it. My rule of thumb is if I can relaunch my kite I can ride. Only time when it does not work is in a strong down wind current.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:52 am

Here's my 5 cents on kite trimming.

Sure trim your kite to get the optimin, line lengths, AOA and performance. Do that at bar and or kite pigtails.

If you have to trim to reduce power..... your overpowered. Thats the point to put up the next size down.

Sure trim and continue to ride mid session. But you should never put up a kite that you need to trim to reduce power before you start that session. Put up the right size kite kite for the conditions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”