mike holmes
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: GoPro 3 - fogging?

Postby mike holmes » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Toby just get a Contour.
If Stringy says it doesn't fog well... I prefer a little less res and options than taking care of fog all the time.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Toby wrote:Maybe gopro should offer a bigger housing, which will have more air inside, so it takes longer to heat it up?

And why does it fog right at the lense? Maybe do in the back of the housing a part which would attract the fogging, so the front stays clear?
the housings are to big as it is now, anything bigger would be silly to hang on your kite lines or ontop of your helmet what Go pro need to do is just make there camera water proof so you don't need the silly housing, but, i know they make allot of money from there accessories that's not going to happen. I thought i was the only person that thought it fogging only from the lense is crazy.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:41 pm

prayfawind27 wrote:I've just bought my de fogging strips haven't had a chance to use them yet but from all these post I am afraid, if they don't work I will be selling all my go pro shits, put in oven, spray on this spray on that, try this, try that, that's way to much hassle just for a couple of hours of recording that will turn into couple of minutes after editing,
There is no hassle after making sure the case is not leaking. I did a little preventative maintenance when I got the camera, and I literally have not had it fog up once. Ever. The only pain in the ass that could happen is if the button o-rings needed to be replaced, and that would take about 20 minutes, and possibly 10-11 curses. :lol: If everything is solid and you don't have any seepage, you don't need any strips or any over the top procedured for preparing the camera for use, just buy one small bottle of Rain-X anti fog (i think the label is black). It's meant to use on the interior of your car windows to stop them fogging up, and it works pretty damned well at that. Put it on your bathroom mirror, and that won't fog up either. Anyway, put that on the inside of the lens, and it will last for months. I have changed memory cards on the beach on a rainy day, and zero problems. But, if you want to go out and blow several hundred dollars to solve a simple problem, feel free.

knotmyfault
Medium Poster

Postby knotmyfault » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:50 pm

Rain X works,,, However Go pro needs to improve... Competition is coming... Fast

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Skyway Bridge North
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:21 am

knotmyfault wrote:Rain X works,,, However Go pro needs to improve... Competition is coming... Fast
Well duh! Everything needs to improve, until such time as the concept is technologically obsolete. The statement "X needs to improve" could be said of any product on earth. :lol:

That being said, the action photography field is seeing new entrants constantly, which is why GoPro needs to innovate and keep the pressure on to stay competitive. :thumb:

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:27 am

I have not used my GoPro in the water much but when I did I blasted the car air conditioner on high into the case then closed it. It did not fog.

I am sceptical of claims for different brands not fogging. The only way they can stop fogging is to have the inside of the lens completely sealed from the outside air, and possibly filled with an inert gas (like high end binoculars and rifle scopes). I am not aware of any camera lenses that are nitrogen filled.

Fogging is simple physics. Water vapour comes into contact with a cold surface and condenses. The glass lens conducts heat faster than the surrounding plastic so it gets cold and that is where you get condensation.

The only way to eliminate fogging is to get rid of the water vapour. That is what the air conditioner trick does and what the desiccants do.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:27 am

Does gopro 3 black edition fog up? i really want to know

i think gopro 2 lowered the power used so less heat... maybe more resolution 120-fps uses more current and generates more heat - hope not - i a was hoping to me one of teh 10002343434 people that are about to make a slomo kite video lol

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Skyway Bridge North
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:01 am

longwhitecloud wrote:Does gopro 3 black edition fog up? i really want to know

i think gopro 2 lowered the power used so less heat... maybe more resolution 120-fps uses more current and generates more heat - hope not - i a was hoping to me one of teh 10002343434 people that are about to make a slomo kite video lol
I don't know about the others, but the 2 still gets pretty hot in the case. The anti-fog Rain-X, I'm telling you.

http://www.carid.com/universal-detailin ... nQodaGMAtA

One drop on a piece of toilet paper, wipe down the inside of the plastic housing lens and the outside of the camera's glass lens. Let it dry for 5 seconds, then polish it with a dry piece of TP to remove any streaks. Whole procedure takes less than 20 seconds. Crystal clear for a month. :thumb:

saltire
Medium Poster

Postby saltire » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:31 pm

That rain x stuff does work , never tried the anti fog but it must be worth a try .

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Flight Time wrote:
longwhitecloud wrote:Does gopro 3 black edition fog up? i really want to know

I don't know about the others, but the 2 still gets pretty hot in the case. The anti-fog Rain-X, I'm telling you.

http://www.carid.com/universal-detailin ... nQodaGMAtA

One drop on a piece of toilet paper, wipe down the inside of the plastic housing lens and the outside of the camera's glass lens. Let it dry for 5 seconds, then polish it with a dry piece of TP to remove any streaks. Whole procedure takes less than 20 seconds. Crystal clear for a month. :thumb:
Went looking at the hardware store today for Anti-Fog Rain-X... they don't sell it here, it seems :o there were anti-fog wipes for the interior windows... might have to try them :-/

They DO sell stuff for mirrors that is hydrophobic - water just jumps right off. I might try that too...

Return to “Kitesurfing”