Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro 3 - fogging?

Forum for kitesurfers
prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: GoPro 3 - fogging?

Postby prayfawind27 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:11 pm

the strips i bought of ebay for $8 comes with 8 strips works perfectly, just came of a 2 hour session and it didn't fog up even a bit. I see Go Pro is selling 6 strips for over $20 if you can, jump on ebay and get much more for your cash. :thumb: .

crazycoconut
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Deerfield, Boca Raton, Delray Beach

Postby crazycoconut » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:59 pm

prayfawind27 wrote:the strips i bought of ebay for $8 comes with 8 strips works perfectly, just came of a 2 hour session and it didn't fog up even a bit. I see Go Pro is selling 6 strips for over $20 if you can, jump on ebay and get much more for your cash. :thumb: .
I just got delivered the same FogFree brand inserts stuff you posted a picture of.

Haven't tested on the water yet, they seem to be the same moisture munching sheet as GoPro's but a better bang for the buck - I had one pair of the GoPro originals that I "borrowed" from a friend but ended up loosing them, or maybe someone "borrowed" them from me too - bad karma?

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med

Postby prayfawind27 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:07 pm

I've tossed mine into the Microwave for 2 minutes, 6 strips has been used in 3 cams housing and they work perfectly. I've also removed the rubber seal around the housing door cleaning making sure there isn't any sand or salt before putting it back on(just in case) :thumb:
crazycoconut wrote:
prayfawind27 wrote:the strips i bought of ebay for $8 comes with 8 strips works perfectly, just came of a 2 hour session and it didn't fog up even a bit. I see Go Pro is selling 6 strips for over $20 if you can, jump on ebay and get much more for your cash. :thumb: .
I just got delivered the same FogFree brand inserts stuff you posted a picture of.

Haven't tested on the water yet, they seem to be the same moisture munching sheet as GoPro's but a better bang for the buck - I had one pair of the GoPro originals that I "borrowed" from a friend but ended up loosing them, or maybe someone "borrowed" them from me too - bad karma?

wazzaah
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Terschelling
Style: Wave
Gear: F-One
Brand Affiliation: Kitesurfschool Terschelling, Kitestart.nl

Postby wazzaah » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:50 pm

I'll just say the thing Toby wants to hear: yes the 3 is much better and no fog inside, ever! :lol:
No you can buy one Toby :wink:

When i started taken photo's with DSLR I had a sealed bag, always needed the the silica bags inside. Now i shoot with Ikelite housing and set it up at home in dry enviroment and no bags needed, ever!

For my CamOne Infinity (similar to the gopro) i use........ rice :D
Cheap, works fine and in the evening you can use it to cook again.

Rahotu200
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kina Road, Taranaki
Favorite Beaches: Neds Beach Lord Howe Island

Postby Rahotu200 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:05 pm

I have done a few tests on various solutions to fogging on Rahotu200 youtube channel. The best options out of eight options I tested was to hold the open camera housing under an air con vent and then insert 3 anti fog inserts, wait 17 hours for the inserts to do their thing and then film. As per Rahotu200 videos it works under some very tough test conditions and write up on what causes camera fogging. Also looked at various options (microwave and oven) for drying the gopro fog inserts to see what was the most effective.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster

Postby prayfawind27 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:18 pm

Rahotu200 wrote:I have done a few tests on various solutions to fogging on Rahotu200 youtube channel. The best options out of eight options I tested was to hold the open camera housing under an air con vent and then insert 3 anti fog inserts, wait 17 hours for the inserts to do their thing and then film. As per Rahotu200 videos it works under some very tough test conditions and write up on what causes camera fogging. Also looked at various options (microwave and oven) for drying the gopro fog inserts to see what was the most effective.

WOW! "put under AC vent then wait 17 hours", that is crazy, I can't imagine doing that every time I wanted to film, what about a spontaneous moment. All I do is pop 2 strips in the microwave for 2 minutes put them into the housing with the cam and it's good to go, I've film till the battery died and it was cheese cake. Did you try just that? and every so often I would clean the rubber around the housing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”