Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to Rescue a Kite in Offshore Spot?

Forum for kitesurfers
Alfarosi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels (Barcelona-Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Castelldefels (Spain) - Tarifa (Spain) - Cotillo (Spain) - La Palme (France) - Dakhla Lagoon (Morocco) - Safety Bay (Australia) - Woodman Point (Australia)
Style: Freestyle - Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Fuel & RPM 2011 and North Team Series 2011
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to Rescue a Kite in Offshore Spot?

Postby Alfarosi » Mon May 13, 2013 11:52 am

Hi Everyone!

I want to know the technique to rescue a kite when you are riding in a flat spot (normally with offshore wind). Are there videos to learn the technique?

I'm referring to that situations when you are doing a unhooked trick, you fail , break the leash and your kite with the bar is sailing alone towards the end of the world. Your friend is riding as well and has to rescue your kite while you are swimming. I don't know how to do it. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: How to Rescue a Kite in Offshore Spot?

Postby Toby » Mon May 13, 2013 12:13 pm

the other rider has to be a good rider as well!

He needs to approach the kite carefully...best is when the kite is os the water like you have it on shore laying down front tube into wind.
This way he won't fly away suddenly...because it can be very dangerous when the kite flies into the rescuer and tangles around him with its lines. VERY dangerous!

When the kite is down on its front tube, slowly approach it (always be ready to get away asap).
Grab along the front tube to the center of the kite (where normally the valve is to inflate).

Then try to lift it up a bit and do a waterstart by sending your kite down.
Then you have more power to twist the kite over and since you get speed you will get to ride with one arm around the front tube.
Then edge hard and go upwind, riding one handed.
A problem will be jibing...you need speed to change the arms quickly and then change arms.
Dangerous if you have to stop and the wind blows the kite onto you...

Best is to go one direction only and drop the kite somewhere on shore if you can make it with one tack.

Alfarosi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels (Barcelona-Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Castelldefels (Spain) - Tarifa (Spain) - Cotillo (Spain) - La Palme (France) - Dakhla Lagoon (Morocco) - Safety Bay (Australia) - Woodman Point (Australia)
Style: Freestyle - Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Fuel & RPM 2011 and North Team Series 2011

Postby Alfarosi » Mon May 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Toby wrote:the other rider has to be a good rider as well!

He needs to approach the kite carefully...best is when the kite is os the water like you have it on shore laying down front tube into wind.
This way he won't fly away suddenly...because it can be very dangerous when the kite flies into the rescuer and tangles around him with its lines. VERY dangerous!

When the kite is down on its front tube, slowly approach it (always be ready to get away asap).
Grab along the front tube to the center of the kite (where normally the valve is to inflate).

Then you have more power to twist the kite over and since you get speed you will get to ride with one arm around the front tube.
A problem will be jibing...you need speed to change the arms quickly and then change arms.

Best is to go one direction only and drop the kite somewhere on shore if you can make it with one tack.
Like this Toby?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0B5sBUHQEg

It seems very difficult! :-?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Right - it can be done.

BUT, extremely dangerous IMO, and the kite can either blow around you in a horrible mess, but way more dangerous, it can take off or even slip out of your hands, and the lines or bar can catch or choke you or drown you if you get totally tangled into the other lines.

Mostly it will go okay, because of the chances/risks statistically - but that does not help, if the one trying to rescue the kite dies :o

We usually NEVER pick kites up in the water, because of this risk, but either wait till it washes ashore with the waves, or say goodbye to the kite if no boat is around and offshore.

Has happened a few times for some, but they are still alive and noone got hurt.

So be really careful, have boat/helicopter backup for rescuing the kite rescuer, or dont do it at all 8)

:D Peter

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon May 13, 2013 8:16 pm

I've attempted this, I cannot say it enough... this is extremely dangerous, and only very skilled kiters (with backup) should even consider attempting this. I was unsuccessful but made it home safely...after loosing my board and having a 4 mile walk down NC-12....

If I saw this happen again i would not go after the kite but I would....
1. check on the kiter to be sure they are alright and can swim for a bit, he might need your help
2. go to shore, tell someone what is going on have them find a boat to go after the kite and/or the swimmer
3. go back out and help the swimmer get back to shore
4. have a beer
5. if the kite is not recovered by then, call the coast guard and let them know a kite is lost but the rider is safe

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Laughingman wrote:snip....

if the kite is not recovered by then, call the coast guard and let them know a kite is lost but the rider is safe
Very important yes, have the coast guard number in your mobile phone, and call them as soon as the rider is safe but a board or kite is "lost", as otherwise they will (and have to) set a huge alarm search in action, and maybe miss someone who is really drowning somewhere else :wink:

:D Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon May 13, 2013 9:40 pm

It is not that rescuing a kite is that dangerous, but it is because if you get in trouble you do not have any ways to actually do anything about it.

Rescuing a kite leaves some chance that you will get tangled. It happened to me once.

Also calling coastguard is critical. Several times we've been asked to call before they get a call from some bystander when a kite or windsurf rig has floated by.

A.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 14, 2013 12:03 am

Alfarosi: yes, almost.
He grabs the kite at the tip (quiet some force), and then works his way to the center of the front tube on his way.

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Postby lenker » Tue May 14, 2013 2:12 am

From my own experience I know that it is extremely dangerous to do this. I now think the best thing is to try to deflate the running kite so that it doesn't get dragged away so fast and can be picked up by a boat.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Tue May 14, 2013 2:28 am

Alfarosi wrote:
Toby wrote:the other rider has to be a good rider as well!

Like this Toby?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0B5sBUHQEg

It seems very difficult! :-?
That guy makes it look easy,

Return to “Kitesurfing”