Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Has thanked: 0

Re: SupaEZ's ABC's of self launch Core Riot XR2 LW 19m

Postby chemosavi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:07 am

Dan Glyaire wrote:i like cheese, i think its nice,
when i eat cheese, i'll eat it twice.
i like the taste, i like the smell,
i like cheese, i think its swell.
I'm also happy about the re-elected administration even though I don't swing all the ways it supports. Each to his own.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:45 pm

RichardM wrote:
Very nice video.

As to the actual technique:

1. I'm especially impressed with your use of the bag to latch the kite down rather than putting sand on the tip.

2.I assume you used 45 degrees because the wind was too light to get the kite more upwind at launch. So my question is, does it work as well closer to the side of the window if there is enough wind or do you have problems with the bag not holding it enough?

Richard M.
Sorry i took so long to answer :D
Yes the technique is to latch the kite down as shown with sandbag...1/3 of it's weight ON tip LE
The bag is ONLY IN the kite when i pump it

As far as the pull angle relative the the trailing edge that is set exactly parallel to wind flow...
...45 degrees is ideal angle in order to "pull up" the "leeward" wingtip........
.....that way the kite slide right off real EZ from underneath the latched positioned sandbag

From that angle of pull...as the kite gets off the ground...it pretty much jumps at the edge ......
.....of the wind window.....all you have to do in higher wind with smaller kites...is too keep kite.....
....low to the ground longer at take off...and it will not pull or yank you at all..it works like a charm

When the kite is on it's back pumped the wind flows over it...and flattens it and to keep it down
I never needed 2 sandbag at windward tip LE to keep any kite sizes in any wind down on beach

You must pay attention to wind direction throughout the whole process...
....and re-set kite position relative to wind...if it keeps shifting
Test the wind flow direction....especially important in higher wind...by tossing sand in the air....

The key factor is that the central part of trailing edge (TE) MUST be kept "parallel" to wind flow
By doing that...it keeps the kite down in a flatter position..and PREVENTS ......
....the wind to flow under the LE....and LIFT the kite up

I have tried different angles of pull...45 degrees is my favorite
It works also at 50 / 55 / 60 degrees.....but i would not go beyond that...

...because leeward wingtip "may not pull up" enough..to slide kite properly under the bag
....and it may instead pull a bit of windward wingtip..and that side could comes off ground "first"
...which in essence is very bad....because..you could end up with a TUMBLING kite instead...
...and a failed self launch

I hope this answers your questions properly Richard
Talk to you soon
Michel..who NJOY making it look SupaEZ

..................................... :surf: :sun: :thanx: ..........................................................................................

NJOY
Medium Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: gear
Been thanked: 0

Postby NJOY » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:12 pm

Dan, that was really funny!

To Supa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqPx7Sk6rIw

Love ya, mean it! Njoy

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:02 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
RichardM wrote:
Very nice video.

As to the actual technique:

1. I'm especially impressed with your use of the bag to latch the kite down rather than putting sand on the tip.

2.I assume you used 45 degrees because the wind was too light to get the kite more upwind at launch. So my question is, does it work as well closer to the side of the window if there is enough wind or do you have problems with the bag not holding it enough?

Richard M.
Sorry i took so long to answer :D
Yes the technique is to latch the kite down as shown with sandbag...1/3 of it's weight ON tip LE
The bag is ONLY IN the kite when i pump it

As far as the pull angle relative the the trailing edge that is set exactly parallel to wind flow...
...45 degrees is ideal angle in order to "pull up" the "leeward" wingtip........
.....that way the kite slide right off real EZ from underneath the latched positioned sandbag

From that angle of pull...as the kite gets off the ground...it pretty much jumps at the edge ......
.....of the wind window.....all you have to do in higher wind with smaller kites...is too keep kite.....
....low to the ground longer at take off...and it will not pull or yank you at all..it works like a charm

When the kite is on it's back pumped the wind flows over it...and flattens it and to keep it down
I never needed 2 sandbag at windward tip LE to keep any kite sizes in any wind down on beach

You must pay attention to wind direction throughout the whole process...
....and re-set kite position relative to wind...if it keeps shifting
Test the wind flow direction....especially important in higher wind...by tossing sand in the air....

The key factor is that the central part of trailing edge (TE) MUST be kept "parallel" to wind flow
By doing that...it keeps the kite down in a flatter position..and PREVENTS ......
....the wind to flow under the LE....and LIFT the kite up

I have tried different angles of pull...45 degrees is my favorite
It works also at 50 / 55 / 60 degrees.....but i would not go beyond that...

...because leeward wingtip "may not pull up" enough..to slide kite properly under the bag
....and it may instead pull a bit of windward wingtip..and that side could comes off ground "first"
...which in essence is very bad....because..you could end up with a TUMBLING kite instead...
...and a failed self launch

I hope this answers your questions properly Richard
Talk to you soon
Michel..who NJOY making it look SupaEZ

..................................... :surf: :sun: :thanx: ..........................................................................................
Thanks for the detailed response. It's very helpful.

Using 45 degrees is the standard technique for launching Peter Lynn twinskin foils and I also used to use it when I self launched my old 19.5 Contra (LEI). However, I folded over the Contra’s tip rather than using a sand bag.

I had lost confidence in this method for newer inflatos because many modern designs make folding the tip impractical (different shape and more LE pressure), and the alternative, putting sand on the tip without folding, can create serious problems by staying on the tip while launching. It never occurred to me to use the sandbag as you’ve described which should be similar to folding over the tip.

I’d be interested to know if you’ve found any problems (other than shifty wind) or additional helpful details; for example do you think that the particular bag length/shape could make a difference ?

Thanks for any info, but there is no rush so whenever convenient is fine.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET
Last edited by RichardM on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby flaps1111 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:34 pm

You don't need any bag to self launch a modern bridle kite, you just have to launch in the same way you'll do it after drop the kite to the water. What is more important from my point of view is how to land a 17-19 mts kite if the wind picks up. It is easy for me using a 5th line. :thumb:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:02 pm

flaps1111 wrote:You don't need any bag to self launch a modern bridle kite, you just have to launch in the same way you'll do it after drop the kite to the water. What is more important from my point of view is how to land a 17-19 mts kite if the wind picks up. It is easy for me using a 5th line. :thumb:
I do enjoy hearing you..... "flap" your gums around... :D
....and i could find a good use for an empty sandbag.... just about now :anon: :rollgrin:

Please make us video of YOU launching that fast...from start to finish :thumb:

............................................. :happybirthday: :surf: :sun: ........................................................

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:11 pm

:
Last edited by L0KI on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

McAbe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Praia da Barra
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby McAbe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:39 am

Oldnbroken wrote:Supa - You are nice guy, but please stop the constant dick measuring.
Everybody here knows how to launch a kite, and nobody asked to race you, for god sakes. :roll:
We know plenty about your abilities, your speed, your expertise..and all the other wonderful things about you..and your wife..and your cat..and so on.
When you toot your own horn all the time..it makes you look like less, not more.
Just some friendly advise from one over the hill guy to another.
This is awesome, that post is coming from Mr. Ds Nr. 1 fan :lol: :lol: :lol:
I get a Highlander vibe;

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:10 am

:
Last edited by L0KI on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”