Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best Harnesses on the market ?? New company Engine

Postby engine » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:42 am

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:54 am

Sounds like a winner of idea, custom harnesses. Many benefits for user. Congratulations and best of luck to you! :thumb:

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mike dubs » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 pm

http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... 8&start=30

It's great, if you are serious about your riding you will love it.

mike

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:35 pm

engine wrote:...Their visibility generated some interest, orders started coming in and 7 months later I am somehow in business making these things. Never really intended to start a company but the merit of the product just kind of made it happen all on its own....
That's awesome! Keep it up and congrats. Some of the best innovation comes from one guy with an idea and the motivation to make it real.

Stay ahead of the game and keep innovating! We'll probably see Mystic and Dakine copying you in a year or two with a slimmer harness incorporating memory foam into the back. So ride this wave and hire some folks to help you out as demand increases. As long as people can get an Engine harness, they'll always want the original over a copy. ;)

capitan nemo
Medium Poster

Postby capitan nemo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:50 pm

That's a cool idea and a really nice job...
But why not use a leash ?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:14 pm

I have one of these harnesses... All I can say is wow.. the fit is unbelievable.
The reason we decided to go with Engine is primarily my wife, she wanted a waist harness and could not find one that fit her well... out of the 6 or so that are available for women (there are not a lot of choices). Women have a tough time finding gear since the selection is very limited. Anyhow, we ordered one for each of us from engine, she ended up paying about the same as she would have for a harness that was "off the shelf" which was not near the fit and quality of the Engine harness. I could have purchased an "off the shelf" harness for a bit less but I'm very happy with my investment into a custom fit harness, as long as engine is making harnesses I doubt I will ever buy anything else
Coleman, is an awesome guy and always returned my emails promptly, he even put up with my flipflopping on the design I wanted. All in all the experience was great and we are very happy with our purchases.

Sincerely
Pete

AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Have been following Engine for a bit online, looking very interesting! Really like the idea, curious to try and make my own, but no time or access to good eq.

Anyway, two wonderings...

1. Since it is a rigid shell, it should protect from impact better than a soft harness. The are covered is smaller, but im just wondering if this is of any added value, or if it potentially could have prevented any previous injuries if used. In skiing there was a big debate on wether certain known accidents and injuries could have been avoided if a back protector wich is now standard had been used at the time (swedish skier Tomas fogdö in particular)

2. Harness is moulded to your back. How is this process done and more precisely what tolerances are given. Should it be molded on bare skin or with wetsuit on? Snowkite?

What about longevity. How long do they last, how is the finishing on the details etc? It looks on pictures like the foam is glued to the shell. Does this stay on/look good close up? We make some equipment handmade ourselves and i know finishings can be tricky.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:57 pm

1. Cannot comment, I think this is more subjective and I don't often fall hard on my back, although the smaller size is a welcome change, gives me much more freedom of movement and support right where you need it.

2. Engine sends you a blank, which you heat up and place directly on your skin, you will need help at this point to get the blank to take the shape of your spine and curvature of your back. (this is more evident for women). It will then cool and hold the shape, send it back to engine and they do the rest.

Rare Poster
Local Beach: Saskatchewan, Canada
Gear: 9m Rev, 14m TD2, homemade board

Postby 600 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Laughingman, I assume you use a wetsuit most of the summer and snowkite most of the winter. When skiing, I like the harness to spin freely so that the pull is coming from my side. As far as I can see, the Engine harnesses would not benefit me when skiing then. When snowboarding, it's a different story and I want the harness to stay in place. With a snow suit on, is there any advantages to this harness over others? Same question with wetsuits. I only kite without a wetsuit for about a month. When doing the mold, would it not be best to have a wetsuit on? When wearing a wetsuit, do you still notice close to the same benefit with this harness compared with others or do you mostly notice it just when kiting without a wetsuit?

Return to “Kitesurfing”