surfboard for upwind mushysurf

Forum for kitesurfers
tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: surfboard for upwind mushysurf

Postby tony montana » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

mike dubs wrote:Tony,

All you will get is people nominating their current ride.

I ride in a onshore, x onshore spot most of the time, in my opinion you need something with a little bit more float and nose area to get over the white water. A quad might help, but personally I prefer thrusters, you also need a kite that's good upwind with a good bottom end to help you get out when it's big.

My current boards are BWS drifter and Mulcoy and bandit and noise kites. But I've owned and ridden the FireWire and Celaritas both of which were good.

But above all it's technique and practise, but there will be times when a lull comes just before a big wall of white water arrives and you're toast. :D

Mike
Mike have you ridden firewire hellfire,all above makes sense,had my fair share of toast,thanks tony

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mike dubs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:38 pm

Tony,

Not the 506 hellfire, but have heard good things on the FireWire forum, I had the 5'11 taj, but at your weight the 506 hellfire would be a good choice from the FireWire line.

Mike

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10

Postby Phil » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:32 am

Here is the Firewire lineup for 2013
FireWire 2013.png
FireWire 2013.png (90.75 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
Plus a few new comers expected during the year (Vanguard,...) :cool2:

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:47 pm

tony montana wrote:Need to get surfboard for upwind mushysurf,kite on shore cross on mainly,has to be good up wind to hit more waves,75kg,leaning towards naish skater or firewire hellfire,help please ,TONY
Hello Tony :D you don't mention in what wind speed you want to track upwind and what kite size

If in real light single digits winds 8-9kn...get a large newer model LW specific tube kite 17-18-19m

Definitely a Quad fin board that is between 18.5 to 19.5 inches.....5'6" to 5"8" long (just example)

That size board would also work really good with a 12M or 10M in the higher wind speeds too

I'm 75kg...i am riding the Whip 2011 5'7"..........but...........

....there are sooooooooo MANY other great boards out there (wider & shorter).......
......... that will do the job you are looking for......

......but ultimately you need to match it with the correct size / type kite to make the upwind EZ

......Happy New Year...... your 2013 goal = to hit more waves without doing downwinders.. :thumb:

....................... :surf: :sun: ...............................................................................................................

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:01 pm

+1 for NO BUS CATCHING!!

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:56 pm

14ToeSide wrote:+1 for NO BUS CATCHING!!
That is an inside joke between us :lol: ......... Supa and 14Toe
Where i ride.......many many are often rushing their downwinders....(5 to 10 miles long)
.....in order to catch the bus (on time) to get back up(wind) to where they started

Many also routinely try to do 3 downwinders in the afternoon....(one local has 7 as whole day record)
Actually spending more time... rigging-derigging...and on the bus.......then actual water time in surf

That can almost qualify as a pet peeve of ours :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: .......... :surf: :sun: ...............

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:49 am

SupaEZ wrote:
tony montana wrote:Need to get surfboard for upwind mushysurf,kite on shore cross on mainly,has to be good up wind to hit more waves,75kg,leaning towards naish skater or firewire hellfire,help please ,TONY
Hello Tony :D you don't mention in what wind speed you want to track upwind and what kite size

If in real light single digits winds 8-9kn...get a large newer model LW specific tube kite 17-18-19m

Definitely a Quad fin board that is between 18.5 to 19.5 inches.....5'6" to 5"8" long (just example)

That size board would also work really good with a 12M or 10M in the higher wind speeds too

I'm 75kg...i am riding the Whip 2011 5'7"..........but...........

....there are sooooooooo MANY other great boards out there (wider & shorter).......
......... that will do the job you are looking for......

......but ultimately you need to match it with the correct size / type kite to make the upwind EZ

......Happy New Year...... your 2013 goal = to hit more waves without doing downwinders.. :thumb:

....................... :surf: :sun: ...............................................................................................................
14,10,8,6,naish park,winds 10 to 35 knots,eg last week 2to4 meter waves 20to35knot winds,got a north nugget can go on 14 till kite falls out of sky,kite in bay with surfers,so have to go way out back to avoid line up,and get good waves, strong wind usually waves rubbish inside out back good big and clean,like a surfboard easy up wind makes for smaller kite more enjoyable session,by the way i live on the beach and no condo fees only problem 6,5,4 wet suit,thanks TONY

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:24 pm

tony montana wrote:[
14,10,8,6,naish park,winds 10 to 35 knots,eg last week 2to4 meter waves 20to35knot winds,got a north nugget can go on 14 till kite falls out of sky,kite in bay with surfers,so have to go way out back to avoid line up,and get good waves, strong wind usually waves rubbish inside out back good big and clean,like a surfboard easy up wind makes for smaller kite more enjoyable session,by the way i live on the beach and no condo fees only problem 6,5,4 wet suit,thanks TONY

Thank you Tony :D
Could you please........... do us a favor... an "update your profile" about your local & favorite beach

Let us know where you now ride :!:

I doubt very much that you are residing in Naples Florida and killing it in the Gulf of Mexico.....
....especially after your last week session in 2-4 meter waves :D....
....... and 20-35 kn winds ...........and wet suit thickness 6mm / 5mm/ 4mm :-?

................... :thanx: :surf: :sun: .............................................................................................................

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 pm

It's you. Practice. Practice for getting better upwind

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge