All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ocean Rodeo Soul vs. Ignite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:38 pm 
Medium Poster

I just got some Heat and Soul dry suits in stock and had a customer ask about the ignite... They are curious to know why kiters perfer the soul instead. My guess is it is the lack of built in socks. The local customers and myself will use them when that water and air is 35-40 ish degrees. Most of us will be riding surf boards but twin tips will be used also... What is it that kiters perfer about the soul over the ignote that has all the bells and whistles?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Ocean Rodeo Soul vs. Ignite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:55 pm 
Frequent Poster

I think if I read the Ocean Rodeo site right that the Ignite can come without the socks. If they come with socks I simply cannot have socks as part of my rig. Socks can rip and to me are uncomfortable. I like neoprene booties better plus you can walk around in them… So let's assume you can get an Ignite without socks...

I know the Ignite is $1099 and the Soul is $699 on the OR site. That's a huge difference. Drysuits are only as good as their latex seals. When they go or rip you are into it another $100-150… That's if you use a professional repair service. Which I would since it will likely come out better than doing it yourself… But still a latex seal, some glue and a heat gun will cost you near that...

So since it's a product that requires repairs I tend to spend the least I can if the quality is there. The Soul is a very good piece of gear and is even better than the very good Pyro Pro. I got it on Amazon for about $650 shipped. It does everything I need it to do. The piss zip is so awesome. I bought it in a MK since I wanted room when I put it over a heavy fleece layer. The only negative is that the wrist seals and neck seals are for somebody like Popeye. Next time I would get MK with the wrists and neck seals being that for the Medium size. It would be a custom job for the folks at OR and I'm pretty sure they'd do it...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:38 pm 
Rare Poster

The ignite is really built for extreme weather and i think it may be heavier than the soul. Nice looking suit though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:36 pm 
Frequent Poster

I had a Soul last year and since this past spring I got the Ignite. There are many small differences between the two suit. Both are top quality and full of nice features. The Ignite is more for extreme weather conditions with the full immersion main zip, very high collar, padding on the knees also, etc.. I did a full comparison of the two suit on a French forum but unfortunately I don't have the time to translate it. But I took a lot of pictures so you will see the main differences:
http://kiteforum.ca/viewtopic.php?f=3&t ... ite#p55648

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:30 pm 
Rare Poster

Is there anythink on yhe soul you prefer to the ignite for kiting? How do you find the socks?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:19 pm 
Rare Poster

markchatwin wrote:
I think if I read the Ocean Rodeo site right that the Ignite can come without the socks. If they come with socks I simply cannot have socks as part of my rig. Socks can rip and to me are uncomfortable. I like neoprene booties better plus you can walk around in them… So let's assume you can get an Ignite without socks...

Hey Mark, I wouldn't buy a drysuit without socks... that beings said I never wear it without putting booties over top of the socks. Only issues is you need an extra set of booties a size larger than what you would normally wear.

This is for both protection and warmth. On my feet are thin wool socks, drysuit material, then neoprene booties. My feat are always warm and completely dry for the drive home!

The other advantage is avoiding the struggle with ankle gaskets when donning and removing the suit and the associated repairs as you mentioned.

cheers,

Olas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 pm 
Frequent Poster

Oh I see. I thought the socks were latex because I saw some other drysuit where the socks were latex. It does look more rugged. I still wonder if it's $400 better? Also can you ride with those presumably nylon socks that are part of the Ignite? Another words without booties… Or do you need the "stick" of the rubber booty?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:22 pm 
Rare Poster

Amazon had good deals on Souls a couple of weeks ago..
I got mine for ~$450..
They still have some color/size combos, starting at low $500s (no sock version)..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:55 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hey guys!

Let me jump in here to help explain some of the details...

First off, price:

Ignite (has soft socks) - $1099
Soul (with or without soft socks) - $899
Heat (with or without soft socks) - $599

We also have some limited sizes of Grey, Black and Navy Souls left which are onsale for $699 currently but these are almost all sold out. (Our webstore is confusing, as soon as 1 option goes on sale it shows the whole category on sale.)

Features:

This link is a great chart explaining the differences.

All 3 suits feature the same high quality T-Zip water proof zips and VentOR breathable material. We absolutely did not cut any corners on materials. They each also offer the ability to go into what we call "stand by mode" where you flip the neck seal down and zip the jacket up. This is amazing for pre / post session use or if you are on a boat in nasty weather but are not worried about going overboard.

The Ignite and Soul both have removable hoods and a relief zipper. The Heat does not. This is really where we saved a lot of money with the Heat as the zippers are both expensive to install and to tape weld to keep dry around the edges.

The Ignite also features cynch cuffs, a higher neck, a waterproof outer zipper and padded knees. Whereas the Heat is very stripped down.

Regarding soft socks, this comes down to personal taste - as you can see in this thread. Personally, I love kiting in the Heat as it is a very light and easily donned suit and I prefer the model with soft socks as I like keeping my feet dry and warm in the winter and it lets me use the suit for things like river fishing and boating as well.

However, our office is a microcosm of the larger kite scene. Many of our staff prefer to use the Soul with ankle seals and we have one guy who swears by the Ignite... so it comes down to personal taste and the features you wish to have in a suit.

The socks are fantastic for keeping your feet comfy and dry, they make donning the suit a breeze too and let you throw a pair of shoes over them if you wish to use the suit in a boat. Ankle seals make donning a tiny bit harder but also give you the option to ride in bare feet or with neo boots and are awesome if you intend to use the suit through the shoulder season. FWIW, most kiters prefer suits without soft socks...

Sorry for the rambling post!

John Z - OR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

paulhaslett wrote:
Is there anythink on yhe soul you prefer to the ignite for kiting? How do you find the socks?

Thanks

Not really. But i could also be just perfect with the new Heat. I decided to try the Ignite to see if it was better for me. I reeally enjoyed my Soul so the Ignite was a luxury because I just wanted to try it. However I do not think one really need it. I like the padded knees on the Ignite, higher neck and few small details that I prefer but as I said it is very small details. In term of pricing, I would certainly pick the Heat with the soft socks if I had to do it again.

To me a dry suit is meant for very cold water temp so the soft socks are wonderful because your feets are dry! You can wear a light merino socks and I wear a 3mm round toe boot. Before with my Soul I had to wear my 7mm neoprene boot to get the same warmth. I much prefer the included socks for this reason, your feet are dry and you can wear a lighter neoprene boot.

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next