Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: F-One Bandit 12 or 14m...?

Postby jumarcil » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:07 pm

waitz wrote:
eldadgold wrote:(...)
15 Knots minimum or 12 knots ?
Small waves and a lot of chop ?
12 knots definitively, even 10 knots when there is. The north-west coast of Holland has one endless long sand beach, and it is always waves and quite choppy with the wind. But when the wind is in the low end, the waves are normally quite gentle of course.
10 knots :?: ; 14m all the way... even if you ride a big board. The B6 14m has decent power but we are not talking about lightwind kites like; Speed 3, Core LW, Dyno etc...

If you have only 2 kites, why would you have only 2m of overlap. Wouldn't want you more ? The best 2 kites quiver are usually ; 8-12, 9-13, 10-14 etc...

waitz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Egmond aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Egmond aan Zee
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit & Shadow
Been thanked: 0

Postby waitz » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:18 pm

OK, I guess 10 knots is less than I imagined. Looks like a 12m, and I have two second hand/demo Brunotti Wave boards in sight: A 5'5'' from 2010 and a 5'8'' from 2012.

Being 178 cm and 74 kg, any big preference from the two board sizes..?

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North

Postby gvironda » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Do not buy a bandit for light wind
It is an ultra pain to relaunch in the big sizes. Never rolls over. Proven.

jack bush
Medium Poster

Postby jack bush » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:32 pm

gvironda wrote:Do not buy a bandit for light wind
It is an ultra pain to relaunch in the big sizes. Never rolls over. Proven.
eldadgold is right.
Every kite is difficult to relaunch at very low wind. The Bandit isn't different than any LEI.
Swim a little towards the kite and it will flip.

waitz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Egmond aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Egmond aan Zee
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit & Shadow

Postby waitz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:53 pm

jack bush wrote:eldadgold is right.
Every kite is difficult to relaunch at very low wind. The Bandit isn't different than any LEI.
Swim a little towards the kite and it will flip.
Yeah, I am not so worried about that. I will get the 12m and build up some experience. So I will be looking for a nice demo/secondhand wave board to go with it.

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North

Postby gvironda » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:40 pm

I have relaunched several different kites in very low wind
the bandit, due to the wing tips shape and bridle position, is by far one of the hardest
obviously you can still get it out of the water swimmin towards the kite, but it's 3x times harder then with other models
however, when flying in the air is magic :-)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:52 pm

Go with the 12m2 :thumb:

A really good "mate" for the 10m2.

IMO most lighter riders ride with too big kites, without really knowing how bad these are, compared to one just a tad smaller.

With 74kg a 12m2 is a really big kite, and anything higher can be used for ultimate light wind yes, but will suck in general handing, and you will try to avoid this kite and ride underpowered with your 10m2 instead - and then it is almost a waste money, right ?

So a 12m2 (and the Bandit has good low end) is perfect to go with the 10m2 :rollgrin:

:D Peter

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:18 am

jumarcil wrote:..... Last season I was riding some Nemesis V3 and Ts and I tried a B5 in a demo and Wow ! what a kite. Low bar pressure, good speed, awesome lift, good power and also nice drift. It really is a great all around kite.
Funny how individual tastes are. Last year I rode B5 in 8-10-12 m all season. Great kite. Then i tried the BEST TS2 and have changed to them and am extremely happy. for unhooked riding they are the better kite of the two imho...
That said the Bandit is a fantastic freeride (and probably wave) kite. You cannot go wrong with that kite neither on performance (power, stability, etc) or quality.

At the original askers weight I would probably take the 12m, but at my own weight +10 kg more, I would strongly consider the 14m for the really light days. However I missed no days only having the 12m .... could just have needed more power for freestyle.

a buddy of mine ride the B5 12m in almost no wind on his raceboard

PS I have tried the 14m several times. Great kite that is still great in handling, but very very powerfull.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:55 am

Dr_Rosen wrote:
jumarcil wrote:..... Last season I was riding some Nemesis V3 and Ts and I tried a B5 in a demo and Wow ! what a kite. Low bar pressure, good speed, awesome lift, good power and also nice drift. It really is a great all around kite.
Funny how individual tastes are. Last year I rode B5 in 8-10-12 m all season. Great kite. Then i tried the BEST TS2 and have changed to them and am extremely happy. for unhooked riding they are the better kite of the two imho...
That said the Bandit is a fantastic freeride (and probably wave) kite. You cannot go wrong with that kite neither on performance (power, stability, etc) or quality.

At the original askers weight I would probably take the 12m, but at my own weight +10 kg more, I would strongly consider the 14m for the really light days. However I missed no days only having the 12m .... could just have needed more power for freestyle.

a buddy of mine ride the B5 12m in almost no wind on his raceboard

PS I have tried the 14m several times. Great kite that is still great in handling, but very very powerfull.
I haven't tried the newer TS2; but when I compare the B6 or even the B5 for that matter with last year Best TS; the Bandits are faster, loop better, and have more lift. The Ts might be better at unhooking but it aint my thing so it didn't matter. The bar pressure is also lower on the Bandits, the TS were a bit heavier.

I have seen some post by John A and he was saying that the Ts2 are a pretty good upgrade of the TS so they should be amazing. The Ts2 seems also faster and even more stable than last year's TS.

As for a 12m vs a 14m B6; it all depends on the wind conditions. It also depends on what you ride. The guys is looking at TT and surf boards.

I agree that if you are going to ride a raceboard a 12m will be plenty. But if at 72 kg you want to ride and have fun in 10-12 knots on a TT or even a surfboard a 12m will be really tight.

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:13 pm

jumarcil wrote: ..... The Ts might be better at unhooking but it aint my thing so it didn't matter. The bar pressure is also lower on the Bandits, the TS were a bit heavier.
I would say that it is the UH part that the TS2 does better. If UH is not on the desire list, then I haven't tried a better freeride kite out there than the Bandit. It is a great kite and have the characteristics you mention. + a lot of them around here (market leader) and I have not heard of a single quality issue on the B5's.

Return to “Kitesurfing”