Restube safety floatation device

Forum for kitesurfers
tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Restube safety floatation device

Postby tony montana » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:40 pm

mike dubs wrote:I think the point is that it really is your last option when everything else has failed. The theory of packing down a kite after rolling the lines up, is fine until you try it in a stormy sea. i would challenge anyone to do it without difficulty and panic in 30 knots, 6ft+ waves and a strong tide, where most of the time you cant even see the beach.

As for swimming in, most people totally over estimate their ability to swim in open water, let alone stormy seas. I swim over a mile 3x a week and i would really struggle to do any distance in stormy conditions where your ability to swim efficiently or breathe properly in a panicy situation wearing harness and wetsuit, after getting exhausted trying and failing to sort your kite out.

I think it will be the best $100 I spend but never use.

Dont die of arrogance or overconfidence, even if you don't get one.

mike
Well put mike,a must for any serious wave kiter,TONY

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:32 pm

frankm1960 wrote:I got a question though... is there any way to tell when it will no longer inflate? end of life kind of thing? There must be some indicator for this? I didn't find anything on the website
The onyx 24 auto has 2 indicators, one pre-valve indicator (green or red) and one post valve indicator it also has a gasket with expiration date on it, and replacement gaskets.

It doesn't look as cool as a belt pack . . . . Looks matter

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:46 pm

I have the gill compressor vest which is good and looks cool,the only problem its hard to swim with,restube can be activated when needed,as robby naish said im out here to enjoy myself not to die,TONY

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:11 am

Here's a link to an inflatable rashguard and wetsuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAK0anxxBpg

panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby panchito » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:00 am

RichardM wrote:.
Here's a link to an inflatable rashguard and wetsuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAK0anxxBpg

You forgot to mention that although the product was indeed announced one year ago , it never came into production ....

Regards

Franz

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:42 am

Probably someone is going to die with one of these deployed, as it slips out from under the arm, and becomes tangled with the lines, creating a deathloop situation that can't be ejected from. Yet another thing to keep track of as you try to wind up a downed kite. Board, lines, both hands busy winding lines or pulling in the kite, managing your toy at the same time, which you deployed instead of thinking your way out of the problem because it was there on your belt and you spent a hundred bucks on it and you were itching to use it. Bottom line, this thing needs your hands or arms to use it. You can't wind lines or do anything with it, you can only cling to it and use it as a crutch. If you can't float or swim some distance unaided, you either have no business in an extreme water sport, or you need a PFD.

Barring a viscious current even a mediocre swimmer can swim miles with the proper technique and time. Take a breath and fut your face in the water, let your arms and legs hang, and don't do anything. Relaxing, you don't sink, even with no wetsuit and a harness. You aren't burning any energy. Do a couple breast strokes, take a breath, and relax. Rinse and repeat. Or float on your back, and do the same thing.

Kite is down, can't relaunch, kite pulling you where you don't want to go? Throw the QR and recover the kite, and use it as your flotation and self rescue to land. Leading edge broke? Recover the kite, the bladders are still inflated. Roll it into a raft and Gilligan your way to shore. Had to release the kite and you are in the middle of the fookin ocean without a proper PFD or beacon? You are not the brightest tool in the shed, deploy your tool and hope someone in a plane can see you. Kiting in double overhead waves half a mile offshore without a PFD? You deserve what you get.

Either way a PFD is completely better in every way, and also allows you to keep your hands free while you swim, manage your situation, find the kite, wave for help, whatever.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:21 am

i don't have a problem with floatation devices , but yeah for sure don't let things like these make you ride beyond your ability without thinking through all the factors. I see Greg Long blacked out after a 3 wave hold down and ended up airlifted 100km to hospital at Cortes Bank last week after after his inflating wetsuit failed to inflate on demand. I think sticking to 2 impact vests that cannot be ripped off (JP had his ripped right off I read one time) for now is a good idea in big wave tow size kind of stuff.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:08 pm

Flight Time wrote:Probably someone is going to die with one of these deployed, ...
:think:

Regards

Franz

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:47 pm

panchito wrote: :think:

Regards

Franz
The floaty toy. See, it has a lanyard, which could wrap around your lines.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Flight Time wrote:
panchito wrote: :think:

Regards

Franz
The floaty toy. See, it has a lanyard, which could wrap around your lines.
Ahhh , I see .... :idea:

I had no intension using that " toy " and deal with bar , lines or whatever , rather use it when " shit happens " getting rid of everything and try to save my life ?

Again .. I hope I'll never need it ...

Regards

Franz

Return to “Kitesurfing”