Local Beach: Egmond aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Egmond aan Zee
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit & Shadow
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

North Whip or Brunotti Kite Wave?

Postby waitz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:11 am

I live by the north-west coast of Holland, where there almost always is quite some waves with the wind. But in the summer it is often lower wind and less waves.

And for these conditions I am looking for a second board for a 12m Bandit. My other board is a f-one trax 134x39

My primary goal is to be able to play in lighter wind, and just have a nice time surfing

I have had two recommendations for boards which are on sale around me:
1. Brunotti Wave board - 5'8'' from 2012 or 5'4'' from 2010
2. North Whip - 5'4'' from 2012 (most expensive of the 3)

I am 178cm and approx 74kg, and I am still learning.

The question is: Any recommendations between the two boards, and if so, which length?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: North Whip or Brunotti Kite Wave?

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:07 pm

You have to decide whether you want a light wind board, or a board for waves 8)

As these are NOT the same....

The 5"4 Whip is a really good lightwind waveboard with a wider tail and flat rockerline - goes really early and still fun, so not a "normal" waveboard.

Whereas the Brunottis are more "typical" wave surfboards, narrower and smaller so dont start as early - but they will be REALLY fun when there IS waves and a bit of wind.

I've surfed both of these - but not all "years"...

You should go for the 5"8 if a Brunotti IMO, as I think the 5"4 is small even for 74kg.
Or the 5"4 Whip which I think will suit you perfectly :naughty:

As said - a good waveboard does not start much earlier than a modern good TT board, so you need to go beyond the "typical" waveboard if you want to have a light wind board IMO :thumb:

:D Peter

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:38 pm

You should not decide because it is on sale

Get what you "really" need to do the job.......... having no regrets..is priceless

North Whip 5'6" and 5'8" were the "most popular and best selling" for a very good reason...for 75kg

They have 5'4"...but IMO it is too small for you that has just a 12M to have fun in LW (OK for 50-60kg)

I am 75 kg and have the 5'7" Whip 2011 and with a 12M Rebel the fun starts at 11kn (not LW IMO)

I ride a 19M Core XR2LW in real LW....and fun starts at 8kn in the ocean

If i had to replace my 2011 for a 2012 i would definitely get the 5'8"....
....because wider is better in LW...i do not want to go any narrower than 18.62 inches

........................ :thumb: :D ........................................................................................................................

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:10 pm

I think waitz does it the right way.

Looking at some deals, that could be good, and then asking if experience with these very ones !

As he is relatively new, and totally new in waves, it does not make sense to "get what you really need" - as you havent got a clue what you need nor wants....
That will take some years.

If experienced it was another matter, and I agree - get the thing that works the best no matter what it cost - you wont regret.....
But this is not the case here - and if, he would not ask what to buy 8)

You can also go for the bigger Whip, as a light wind board, true :thumb:

So important that you decide whether you want a dedicated light wind wave board, or a board for overall wave condtions too.

You live in the same wind region as me (Denmark here), so your conditions are pretty known.

Low pressure systems passing by, so you got loads of wind in the autumn and winther and often in spring.
And in the summer you can have awesome wind for small kites, but also weeks with high pressure systems (your family will love as it is the "good" weather for them, while you get more and more cranky) and very low winds.

And you can have good seabreeze wind conditions in spring and early summer too at the coast of Holland, just like we have.

So a 12m2 is perfect for your max size, and you dont need a bigger one not even for summerdays.
I think I am the only one here who are crazy and sometimes ride waves with a 12m2 - that is simply not "normal" with these sizes.
Nor easy, but with years of practice one can do this.
Although - I understand fully those (almost everybody) who would never touch a waveboard with a kite bigger than 9 or 10m2 :roll:

Maybe Supaez is right, the 5'4 Whip is an okay allround waveboard as not that big - and with the 5'8 you got a board for light wind mostly (thats what the guys here use it for, but never when windy).

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:43 pm

North Whip 5'8 will get you going in light wind, and is huge fun. If wind is stronger, change down kite size. I use a 10m more than my 12, now I have this board. If you have big waves, then a gunnier type board will be better as it will not bounce out as much. I just wanted a change, and the whip has opened up a different way of kiting, smaller kite, not full on power, = great for slashing and sliding.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:09 pm

letsgoflyakite wrote:North Whip 5'8 will get you going in light wind, and is huge fun. If wind is stronger, change down kite size. I use a 10m more than my 12, now I have this board. If you have big waves, then a gunnier type board will be better as it will not bounce out as much. I just wanted a change, and the whip has opened up a different way of kiting, smaller kite, not full on power, = great for slashing and sliding.
I TOTALLY APPROVE :thumb:

I go from my 2011 Whip 5'7" x 18 5/8" to my next board.....the 2010 Kontact 5'9" x 16 7/8"x 1 7/8"

19M...12M or 10M for Whip....then the narrow board with 8...6...or 5M

................... :surf: :sun: ..............................................................................................................................

waitz
Rare Poster

Postby waitz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:11 pm

I got the 5'4 Whip from 2012. Will use it with the 10m also. It was on 40% discount, so I couldn't resist :D

Last edited by waitz on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:17 pm

waitz wrote:I got the 5'4 from 2012. Will use it with the 10m also. It was on 40% discount, so I couldn't resist :D
Awesome :thumb:

Now it is only a matter of time, before you will either leave the TT at home, use it as a food chopping board instead, or use it to hold your kite down on the beach only, and never mind if you forget the TT board on the beach, not important, as long as you got your waveboard :naughty:

waitz
Rare Poster

Postby waitz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:12 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Now it is only a matter of time, before you will either leave the TT at home, use it as a food chopping board instead, or use it to hold your kite down on the beach only, and never mind if you forget the TT board on the beach, not important, as long as you got your waveboard :naughty:
He he, you are not the first to say something similar.. :rollgrin:

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:11 pm

SupaEZ wrote:

I TOTALLY APPROVE :thumb:

I go from my 2011 Whip 5'7" x 18 5/8" to my next board.....the 2010 Kontact 5'9" x 16 7/8"x 1 7/8"

19M...12M or 10M for Whip....then the narrow board with 8...6...or 5M

................... :surf: :sun: ..............................................................................................................................
That's pretty perfect..

Return to “Kitesurfing”