Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tona Pop as a regular wakeboard?

Forum for kitesurfers
pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites:
- 2010 RRD Obsession 10.5m
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow ID 12m
Boards:
- 2009 RRD Placebo (133x40cm)
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow MK2 (134cm)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tona Pop as a regular wakeboard?

Postby pwnd550 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:03 am

Hello,
I am looking for a wakeboard that I could also use for kiting, or a wakestyle kiteboard that works as well or almost as well as a real wakeboard when behind a boat.
How is the tona pop behind a boat? the hadlow wakestyle? naish arcade?

Thanks for your replies
Thomas

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Re: Tona Pop as a regular wakeboard?

Postby WildDuke » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:02 am

I rode my 2012 Cab Custom with boots behind a boat. It went quite well actually. It was too slippery without fins but the fins I had were too grippy. Being a flexy board, landings on the flats were soft, but the board did flatten out and became super fast, so had to be careful about getting too much line slack. Overall it was fine as a wakeboard, however I would have preferred it if was a bit stiffer and had smaller fins.

I've ordered a Nobile Fifty50 wake edition to run behind a boat. Still waiting for it to arrive, hope it is good!

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 am

Washington Tona Rep here.

The Pop is going to work best behind a kite or cable. Its going to feel pretty fast behind a boat but should work better behind a boat then any other kite specific board out there with the exception of maybe the 2010 Cab custom (I used to own). The 2010 cab custom was the stiffest and highest rocker out of the past several years. This made it good for pop and hard landings and for riding behind a boat but it also made it a bitch to go upwind on and very tiring to ride behind a kite for much longer then a regular wake session would be. Tona has created a board that still pops well and lands soft due to the stiff core and channeled bottom. But the Pop has less rocker then a Cab custom to allow for easier upwind performance and less fatigue.

I became a rep for Tona because I believe the 138 Pop is the best hybrid board on the market.

Good luck with your decision.

Happy 2013!

JamesVegas
Frequent Poster

Postby JamesVegas » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 am

Sorry to hijack but how does the Tona work with straps? I'm coming back from pretty bad MCL tear and I want a board I can use for boots and straps.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:15 am

I'd just get a regular wake board. They are dirt cheap compared to kiteboards. And lets face it kiteboards really kinda blow. You can pick up last year models for 2-300 dollars and have a much better board for wake.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:35 am

JamesVegas wrote:Sorry to hijack but how does the Tona work with straps? I'm coming back from pretty bad MCL tear and I want a board I can use for boots and straps.
there is a bloke down here who rides his with straps and it seems to work well, just make sure you add a handle and take a picture and post it on the scoop.

Dustfarter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La

Postby Dustfarter » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:02 am

Although they look similar most kite boards suck for wake boarding ( especially behind the boat) and most wake boards suck for kiting.
It's better to just grab a cheap wakeboard and have both.

Return to “Kitesurfing”