Anyone with some theory on this one?

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: 2015 RPM - no more pullies.

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:05 pm

Disconcerting concept imo. Bungie cords stretch. The type of rubber the cords utilize (natural vs syn) also has a big affect on the bungie's longevity.
I used to work for some leading tent manufacturers. Tent poles have bungie cords routed through them to allow them to be tensioned together when unfolded. Over time the bungie cords stretch and have to be either tightened or replaced.
Temperature, UV light, and chemicals also degrade bungie cords over time.
Maybe Slingshot can develop a "gauge" or some simple device to use to check the cord stretch. When the cord surpasses a known length, it's time to replace or tighten it up.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Postby dyyylan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:10 pm

From the description of the 2nd video: "This is a demonstration of the 2015 Slingshot RPM pulley-less bridle in action. The new kites will come with two replacements of these bridles but Slingy says testing shows you wont need either."

I'm skeptical, could they not figure out how to just make a static bridle like other kites have been doing? It would probably change the feel of the kite, but the RPMs have never had a great feel to begin with, imo.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:37 pm

dyyylan wrote:From the description of the 2nd video: "This is a demonstration of the 2015 Slingshot RPM pulley-less bridle in action. The new kites will come with two replacements of these bridles but Slingy says testing shows you wont need either."

I'm skeptical, could they not figure out how to just make a static bridle like other kites have been doing? It would probably change the feel of the kite, but the RPMs have never had a great feel to begin with, imo.
What's wrong with the RPM feel dyyy? I think I've ridden an RPM once. I mean compared to other c like kites, what's wrong with it?

lchen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, 3rd Avenue, Sherman
Favorite Beaches: Sherman
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas 7/9/12/14
Tona Flow 136
Tona Pop 138
Brand Affiliation: Tona
Has thanked: 0

Postby lchen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:03 pm

edt wrote:
dyyylan wrote:From the description of the 2nd video: "This is a demonstration of the 2015 Slingshot RPM pulley-less bridle in action. The new kites will come with two replacements of these bridles but Slingy says testing shows you wont need either."

What's wrong with the RPM feel dyyy? I think I've ridden an RPM once. I mean compared to other c like kites, what's wrong with it?
RPM isn't a C kite. You want C with Slingy you go with the Fuel. They may call it an open C.. but I think it's more a hybrid Delta?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:13 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. How often have you replaced the center line bungee on your Comp Stick bars? As long as they have had that thing they have always included a spare bungee in the top pocket of your kite bag, but I've never had to use it. After a couple years I sell the kites with the bungee, unopened in the plastic.

I think it is great that they include the spares, though. I'm sure there are heavy users (schools, guys that live on the beach, etc.) where the kite will be out in the UV with a lot more use then mine. They'll need to replace them. For the common rider, it likely isn't an issue.
dyyylan wrote:...I'm skeptical, could they not figure out how to just make a static bridle like other kites have been doing? It would probably change the feel of the kite. It would probably change the feel of the kite, but the RPMs have never had a great feel to begin with, imo.
They do this on the Rally. There must be something about the RPM canopy or bridle, though, that likes a little movement based on it's placement in the wind window. I think it is pretty cool they figured out how to do it without pulleys! Pulleys wear lines, get clogged up with sand, and tend to soften up the feedback from the kite. (I'm not sure how the bungees will feel, though).

I have to say I love the feel of RPMs much more than my Rallys. RPMs are light, quick & with just enough feedback to know what is going on up there. For my style of riding the Rallys are better kites for me, though I wish they felt like an RPM at the bar.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Faxie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Starsky wrote:Anyone with some theory on this one?
The bungee absorbs the shock when the slack line in the double V part of the bridle gets tensioned by sheeting the kite.

I'm skeptical too about the longetivity of the bungee and the need for it. And it seems to me it will make the kite less direct and 'wobbly'. Probably smoother though.

Other manufacturers can make pulleyless bridles that work like a charm. But SS removes the pulleys, creating a new problem with their bridle configuration because of that, and fixes it with bungees.

But it's nice they can get away with advertising it as a 'feature that changes kiteboarding as we know it' :rollgrin: And kudos for trying something new.

I didn't like the way the older models flew. Direct initial steering response, but less feeling and sluggish after that.

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:11 am

https://www.facebook.com/ride.engine/ph ... =1&theater

not mine, but -

If you're into kites you should check this pile of string out its a game changer. Traditionally kite bridles are made with pulleys. As the kite goes through the turn the pulleys shift to keep the kite "happy". However while they are shifting the kite is "unhappy" which is why they feel like they sometimes slow down through turns and only accelerate after. The solution figured out by the legendary @logosz is to replace the pulley's with elastic components. This summer I got to test these elastic ones side by side pulley bridled kites and the difference is night and day. Anyhow today they were released which is why I'm posting s out them. Checkout the new slingshot RPMs they are psycho. Ordered mine this morning. I'm not getting paid to say this btw.

Return to “Kitesurfing”