Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: kite spot in cuba

Postby knotmyfault » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:57 am

Gear rental at Varadero:

http://www.cubakiters.com/en/kite-school-in-varadero

And Varadero is more fun than the other flat boring spot...Cayo Guillermo

And stay away from Santa Lucia,, Also known as Santa Puta,,,
Cheapest spot around, prostitute all over the place,,,And even worst ... Child prostitution
It's a shame to kite there

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:01 am

They are called Kiteland Park, look them up on the net, they rent and they have French as well as French Canadian teachers if you need a French and English speaking course.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Just to be clear Kiteland Park is in Cayo Guillermo.... BTW the Hotel closest to the spot is now called
Club Allegro (used to be the Cojimar) ... its not the Ritz but is thoroughly ok, I was there 3 weeks ago.
Knotmyfault, have you been to St Lucia recently and seen the issues you speak of first hand ?
Someone I know was there 2 months ago and didn't mention this, I wonder if things had improved...

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:10 pm

knotmyfault wrote:Gear rental at Varadero:

http://www.cubakiters.com/en/kite-school-in-varadero

And Varadero is more fun than the other flat boring spot...Cayo Guillermo

And stay away from Santa Lucia,, Also known as Santa Puta,,,
Cheapest spot around, prostitute all over the place,,,And even worst ... Child prostitution
It's a shame to kite there
If you see child prostitution you should report it if you didn't shame on you. To use this kind of rhetoric to pimp your place, again shame on you. What are those women offering themselves in downtown Toronto called, must be some kind of engels in your religion. This piece of shit of the post should be taken down.

jb+wind=40feet
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point
Mitchel's Bay
Favorite Beaches: Malpeque Bay
Style: agressive
Gear: ozone and slingshot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jb+wind=40feet » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:44 pm

There is a kite school in Cayo Guillermo located in between the Allegro Club and Iberostar Daiquiri. Their sign said lessons, rentals, and repairs so I assume you can rent gear. The guys in the shop are very nice. Cayo Guillermo is a great place to kite due to the flat and shallow water. This means it is suitable for beginners all the way to advanced riders. The mangroves are very fun to jump aswell.
Here is a quick vid of our kite trip to Cayo Guillermo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESgLwDl ... DpV0ae1l8g

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:52 am

Just got the info that there are awesome deals from Montreal, Canada.
Like 800 USD for round trip, transfer an hotel at Cayo Guillermo, at the best kitebeach.
And the airlines take kite gear or free.
They want to push it as kite destination.

A guy in Miami told me this. He want to fly up to Montreal and take the offer...much cheaper than anything from Miami!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:02 am

Just to chime in here... The wind in Cuba is subject to the same variables as Florida. I've been 7 times now, on average I would say we got 3 days out of seven of usable wind. Some weeks we got 1 or 2 others we got 5... When it blows it is my favorite place to be but it's finicky. This is not a place that is known for wind everyday, and when it is windy it usually picks up in the afternoon. Just don't expect wind, you are lucky if you hit the right week.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:46 am

Toby wrote:Just got the info that there are awesome deals from Montreal, Canada.
Like 800 USD for round trip, transfer an hotel at Cayo Guillermo, at the best kitebeach.

A guy in Miami told me this. He want to fly up to Montreal and take the offer...much cheaper than anything from Miami!

Not 100% true. Airlines likevAir Canada will let you bring 20kg of kite gear. AirTransat, Canjet and Sunwing are limiting you kite bag to 10kg... Nomproblem... 2 boards in the double kitebag (nonwheels), I bought an IT suitecase at 2,8kg, I fit 3 kites 12-10 and 7, a pump, a bar, a vest, booties, i replace the bags with DK compression bags, and I reach 16.6kg, my clothes go in the Nobile kitebag which is a legal cabin size. No fee. For a fee you can take 10kg more.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:52 am

800 Canadian is theoretically possible....but tough unless you are very flexible.
For that price you're most likely to be on an airline that'll give you 20 kg main bag and 10kg kite bag...
if you want to add 10kg to the kite bag add 80 bucks.
If an american citizen is looking to go to cuba and does not want uncle sam to know be aware that
post 9/11 all flights going through US airspace require full declaration from the carrier to US homeland security.

Laughingman's comment on the weather is also bang on

caveat emptor :)

Toby wrote:Just got the info that there are awesome
deals from Montreal, Canada.

Return to “Kitesurfing”