Local Beach: Kina Road, Taranaki
Favorite Beaches: Neds Beach Lord Howe Island
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

gopro camera fogging condensation solutions - mytest results

Postby Rahotu200 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Hi,

I was sick of my gopro fogging all the time so to find out the best GoPro Hero camera anti fog / anti condensation options I applied the following six different tests:

1. Use GoPro 2 as normal - nothing added

2. Tissue paper inserted down both sides and on back of camera (warning - this could easily jeopardise the water seal if a small amount of tissue is on the seal)

3. Heat camera housing and camera with a hair drier to warm then close housing.

4. Add 3 GoPro dry silica / desiccant strips inside the housing to absorb any moisture in the air and use camera straight away

5. Hold the camera and housing under an air conditioner outlet for 1 minute then close.

6. Insert GoPro 3 dry silica / desiccant strips inside the housing to absorb any moisture in the air and use camera after 17 hours.

These tests were all carried out in Singapore (tropical - 90 miles from Equator c.80% humidity) by submersing the operating Go Pro Hero2 camera in 4 degree Celsius water then removing and trying to film (extreme test).

The anti fog test results are on “Rahotu 200” youtube channel

Other possible anti fog solutions:

a) Store your charged camera in a zip lock plastic bag with silica desiccant pill packets which you get with most electronics. Just before use place in housing while still in plastic bag. This would also assist with keeping your camera away (protecting it) from moisture when not in use.

b) Make sure the inside of the housing and camera is as dry as possible e.g. dry hands, no sweat

c) Don't leave the camera in the direct sun or near heat (put a towel over it or turn your surf board over to keep the camera under the water)

d) Don't leave the camera on (generating heat) when not needed. One button mode I.e. turn off and on at top of camera. – Remember that all the time the camera’s on it’s warming up (built in battery warmer in the Hero2) and all the time it’s off it’s cooling down,

e) Opening the fogged camera housing and wiping off the fog inside then closing seems to lead to less fog next time. Maybe this is to do with the housing/camera being drier.

f) Disable the LED’s – the new GoPro HD Hero has LED’s on the camera body, I’m not sure if this makes a really big difference to the temperature in the housing but it’s easy to disable some, or all of the LED’s. You can tell if it’s recording by listening for the beeps when you turn it on/off or looking at the LCD display.

g) Compact cameras are more susceptible to fogging.

h) Spray on anti fog treatments only allow fog droplets to “flatten” against the lens and are therefore not optically the best solution– removing the humidity is better see Rahotu200 youtube channel.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Re: gopro camera fogging condensation solutions - mytest res

Postby rodeoclown » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:01 pm

I've had excellent results using an synthetic shammy cloth as inserts, like that Shamwow product.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:27 pm

I just shoot for short burst of a few minutes. Not leaving it on for hours.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 pm

I have used a folded paper towel inside the back door of the housing and away from the seals. I've used it above, under the water and in snow in the mountains with good results for the last two years. Sealing the camera in AC helps as well too.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:38 pm

what about GoPro 3 ?

I saw, their housing is now flat...does this makes a difference?

Because Contour housing is flat at lens...and it does fog inside, but not in front of lens.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Don't know Toby, I have been using a paper towel in the GoPro 3 housings as well. I don't believe the fogging has anything to do with the shape of the lens port but the differential temperature between the housing interior and exterior. The camera runs hot particularly in video mode.

Pippi langsamer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay
Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby Pippi langsamer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:14 pm

Get a nappy/ diaper and tear it apart to reveal the absorbent inner material. Cut up small bits into rectangles and compress so they are small and thin enough to slide down in between the camera and the housing and back door. You'll yield plenty of useable material from just one nappy and it works a treat! Solved my fogging problems anyway.

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Postby John Doe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:20 am

i've successfully used the anti-fog cream for water sunglasses (i think it's $4 us) with great results. also keep a silica gel pack in the housing when i'm not using it. yes, that's a standard silica gel pack that comes in many new products, foods, etc. used to absorb moisture.

good luck.

Snowkiter1963
Rare Poster

Postby Snowkiter1963 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:02 pm

I just leave it in the freezer for atleast 1 hour with the case close but unlock. When I am ready to go, I lock the cover while still in the freezer. Never had condensation since I do that. 8)

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:29 pm

Snowkiter1963 wrote:I just leave it in the freezer for atleast 1 hour with the case close but unlock. When I am ready to go, I lock the cover while still in the freezer. Never had condensation since I do that. 8)
10 minutes or less will do, even in a fridge. The air in the case will quickly be as dry as the air in the fridge. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”