All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: unhook tricks: short or long leash ?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:32 am 
Rare Poster

Hi all,

if this topic is treated already please refer me to the right spot.

the question is i am working on s-bend and landing to blind unhooked and i am having a seriously hard life with the leash dragging me from behind when i do not close the trick. When trying to land blind i often get the leash under my harm (with serious bruising).

I have suicide set up and i don't wanna change this.

My question is: it is better to use a long or a short leash? I am using now a freestyle leash which is longer (and more resistant) than usual but i feel that it takes more time to kill the power of the kite when i crash... is this right?

Any experience here?

I am riding with boots which make my crash even harder (the board resist in the water against the kite and i get stretched in between :-) )

Thanks

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: unhook tricks: short or long leash ?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:55 am 
Frequent Poster

Use a long leash.

what i do is attach the leash to a ring on the side (Not the back as it is dangerous if you get dragged from behind because something tangles its difficult to release). I pass from left hand (keep left on the bar) to right, so i put the leash on the right side ring of the harness and the leash goes all the way in my back.

This way when i rotate (like for a blind pass) the leash "unrolls" itself. Its difficult this way it get stuck on your arm etc, though shit happens :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:21 pm 
Medium Poster

I do the same as speedy, but for a different reason to the OP.
I had no issues with a standard leash attached to the sliding rear handlepass tubing, until I tried low mobes. When doing them I'd find that the leash would fly over my head and wrap around my neck....

I pass from right hand to left, so have my leash clipped to the left side ring. This forces the leash to go around my back before reaching the bar (making it tighter) for low mobes and stops it from going over my head.
Its fine in this position for all other tricks, except for an occasional blind judge where it gets caught under my bum and makes the pass difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:01 pm 
Frequent Poster

Giorgio wrote:
Hi all,

if this topic is treated already please refer me to the right spot.

the question is i am working on s-bend and landing to blind unhooked and i am having a seriously hard life with the leash dragging me from behind when i do not close the trick. When trying to land blind i often get the leash under my harm (with serious bruising).

I have suicide set up and i don't wanna change this.

My question is: it is better to use a long or a short leash? I am using now a freestyle leash which is longer (and more resistant) than usual but i feel that it takes more time to kill the power of the kite when i crash... is this right?

Any experience here?

I am riding with boots which make my crash even harder (the board resist in the water against the kite and i get stretched in between :-) )

Thanks

Get a leash with foam!

Attachments:
mystic-handlepass-leash-foam.jpg
mystic-handlepass-leash-foam.jpg [ 44.47 KIB | Viewed 493 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:47 pm 
Frequent Poster

1. Buy a fat and long leash, if you don't have one

2. Always connect your leash to your front or side (search this forum for options). This way you don't get dragged from your back and safety release is always close and easy.

3. I am connecting leash to front-left side of my harness, leash goes around my back to the bar (we're talking Railey to blind to the right). So cases are:

— Didn't go for the pass, leash stays same place, ride away
— Do go for the pass, do not rotate my body, fall. This is scenario of leash under arm, which is pretty rare.
— Go for pass, rotate, fail. Leash is pulling my left side, no harm for arm, no troubles.

So most of the time leash is no problem.

In case of opposite rotation you want your leash to be spinned the opposite way. General rule of thumb is to coil your leash on your body before your trick. It is kinda helping your rotation and doesn't do anything in case of fail.

4. The only problem with long leashes is S-bends. Many time I've landed with leash around my neck, f**cking scary, man :0

5. You have to learn to crash safely even in boots. Try to group yourself, bending your knees. With practice you will start to "feel" you are about to crash and get prepared to it. When you crash with your board above and your body in water, your board is not anchoring you, so no harm at all, only fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:57 am 
Frequent Poster

dandaka wrote:
In case of opposite rotation you want your leash to be spinned the opposite way. General rule of thumb is to coil your leash on your body before your trick. It is kinda helping your rotation and doesn't do anything in case of fail.

I'm gonna try this and see if it helps with the blind judge. :jump:

I always have my leash connected to the back but there are quick releases on both sides to release my leash.
So it's in the same place where you connect your leash.

I have a mystic handle pass leash with foam but i wonder of it's long enough if i wan't to do a sbend to blind and connect it to the side.
It might force my arms stay bend so it might actually help with the pass.
Only downside is when you wan't to do another rotation you have to move your leash to the other side.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:57 am 
Rare Poster

Thanks a lot guys, it seems very wise to connect to a ring on the side and i'll definitely do so..
i pass from left hand to right so i should attach it it to the right like side...like Speedy does

reading Dandaka (i know you pass the other way) i wonder what i do wrong... my worst bruise is under my right harm and wonder how the leash ended up there, maybe i rotated the body but kept the bar in my right hand (??? sounds very stupid and illogical).. i'll try again today with leash blocked on the right.

Thanks and i'll get back

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:07 pm 
Rare Poster

Giorgio wrote:
my worst bruise is under my right harm and wonder how the leash ended up there, maybe i rotated the body but kept the bar in my right hand (??? sounds very stupid and illogical).. i'll try again today with leash blocked on the right.

Yeah forgetting to switch the leash point before tricks is a bastard. I'd say longer is the way too go although does get on my tits a bit with it bouncing around off the chop when riding.

[ 8 posts ]