All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Standard board off advice
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:01 pm 
Medium Poster

So... after some advice on a standard board off using the normal grab handle

I can do basic handle passes, S-bend, f16's but have never even tried a board off... next session :) Flying 9, 10.5m and 12m RRD Obsesions and can boost high already.

I am thinking start with foot outs and remember somewhere reading about practising sitting on a chair at home and bringing your knees up to you with the board of the floor ?

Start to finish please.....

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Standard board off advice
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Just sit in the chair, with the board on your feet, lean backwards and take it off and on.
Many times, then grab your kite and try in the air.

Bigger kite for more hangtime needed. Also set all settings to slow.

Good luck and enjoy !

PS: this will help you for sure: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/airstyle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:34 am 
Medium Poster

Start the board-off as you leave the water and don't wait until you are at the apex as this will be too late - you will get it off but not back on. I think a lot of people wait to see if they are high enough and then start which is again too late.

Same with getting the board back on - don't hang about congratulating yourself and get it back on your feet quickly to begin with. Also if you can't get it back on then throw the board well away from you as landing on it or being dragged across it can be painful.

In the UK this time of year a 6/5mm suit and boots are just realy restrictive - you need quite a bit of mobility and these really get in the way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:47 am 
Medium Poster

So reach straight away for the grab handle with the backhand as soon as I take off.

Also is it a case of really bringing the board up to your chest by lifting your knees or reaching down to the board ???
thanks
(p.s yes riding in uk and know what you mean about the 5mm booties, more one to try when a bit warmer as I see a fair bit of body dragging)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Again, sit in a chair and lean backwards. Then grab the board. That's the movement in the air.
Do not reach down.

And yes, your wetsuit will be in the way.
Even more so your booties, makes it hard to get out and in again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:07 pm 
Medium Poster

I was told it also helps to kind of kick off your board with your toes, sort of flipping it back to your hand when taking the board off. I tried it while sitting in a chair and it seemed to get the board off quicker.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Board offs with booties are not worth the trouble. If you want to do board offs in the winter what I suggest is wearing 2mm dive socks, these are actually just as good as bare feet, they slide in and out easily and keep your feet warm enough to do a few tricks. Don't walk around in dive socks they will wear out, wear them under regular shoes to the launch. They aren't warm enough to ride around in all day but will do for hitting a few board offs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:38 pm 
Medium Poster

TIMING!!!

You will get it with practice, nothing more.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I have a rope set up in my shed, (with foam below :), and bar ends go to some pulleys to the side (so you can pull yourself back with the front hand). It only emulates the initial board off scenario (and back on) but it's really useful to train the mechanics into your brain especially for the more advanced stuff. Just find I spend less time in the water this way and more time actually doing board offs. Also good exercise on windless days. The best thing you learn from this is not really the board off part but your body orientation relative to the kite for putting the board back on. It's good to break down the mechanics on this kind of simulator, especially when you get on the water and go big as you have done the board off many times before you actually do it. Has advanced my board offs well beyond the guys I ride with everyday. Worth a try. In the end the kites positioning, is key as always...have fun :).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

but please note: doing it on a rope and under a kite is a difference...since you are traveling thru the air and wind hits your board too.

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next