All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help with Nitro vs Lithium
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:33 am 
Rare Poster

Hi

I'm a begginner, that started to jump, and i have a TT 135 (airush X over) and weight 66Kg interested mostly in freeride.

I want a kite for 9-15 knots and litlte bit gusty up to 20-25 knots, and since i already have and like a 9m 2013 Airush wave and a 7m lithium, so i was inclined to buy a 2014 12m Airush Lithium or Varial X and after a couple of forum search, this is what i have:

1- 2014 12 m Airush lithium - 1065 USD without bar
2- 2014 12m Airush Varial X -1140 USD without bar
3- Switch Nitro V3 12m - 767 USD without bar (My airush bar is compatible)

Where i live there is no way to demo a switch nitro.. so I'd like some feedback.. and i'm also planning on getting a begginer surfboard.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Help with Nitro vs Lithium
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Nitro is a decent booster by all accounts given it's bit if C and aspect...

But as you have airush kites I'd stay with this brand as it has it's own particular feel.

I'd recommend a 12m VX 2014 between you, me and gate post looking at your quiver. Not sure about the 9 knots though....MTV maybe 20 to 25..... If that's ya gig, then you need a good 15m kite at your weight and a smaller board to lock and load when it on!

Although you did say you are only starting to boost...could go a lithuim but honestly you might not have the weight to make it work in higher winds with a 12m.

Even consider a larger board as well if you want to get that low...

We have low, meduim, high wind kites.. So I have a low wind, meduim wind and high wind TT. Makes sense to me. :D it's like adding kite between kite sizes as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:16 am 
Rare Poster

Thanks for the answer Westozzy!

From what i understood (sorry for my english), both options are good but you'd recommend the airush varial X although you think that at the low end of the wind range i gave you, you think it'd be better to have a 15 m with a small board to compensate the overpower. (didnt get what MTV stands for though)

My next step would be a surfboard, but since my budget is small, i choose to get a 12m kite now and later i wanted to buy a second board. (BTW, for the cash difference, is the switch worth the try?)

Thanks again for the feedback

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:40 am 
Very Frequent Poster

rubenspark wrote:
Where i live there is no way to demo a switch nitro.. so I'd like some feedback.. and i'm also planning on getting a begginer surfboard.

Switch has a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like the kite: http://switchkites.com/guarantee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:46 am 
Rare Poster

davesails7 wrote:
rubenspark wrote:

Switch has a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like the kite: http://switchkites.com/guarantee

I saw that too, their confidence in their product it's reassuring but living in Brazil it makes it harder to get shipping, tests, etc in time

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:04 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I would go with the 12 m lithium. Would round out your current quiver best. I am about 155 lb and ride low aspect kites and find no problems with it whatsoever. In fact I find I prefer the low to mid aspect design far more than the higher aspect kites.

I turned a buddy onto a 2013 10m lithium on eBay for 550 and basically brand new. Look to the used market for a good lightly used lithium. They can be had for 500-600. The design won't change much with these types of kites. Not much else you can do on CAD these days with profiles. Things are pretty good and optimized for ranges like the lithium.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:31 pm 
Medium Poster

Can not help on the Nitro info but comparing the 2 Airush kites I would suggest the 12m Lithium. Your 9m Wave is a very versatile kite and now that you want to jump into lower wind kiting the Lithium is much nicer than the 2014 X. The 2014 X is way to high aspect for the winds you are looking at. The Lithium will be a much better choice. the 2014 X is a great kite but really needs to be in the hands of an advanced rider that is why they mellowed out the 2015 X. The Lithium truly is powerful for its size and is a plug and play kite.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:49 pm 
Medium Poster

Cant help with the Switch either but i surely second what CK said about the Lithium. Jumps well, plenty of depower, stable and pivot turning.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:36 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hello Rubenspark:
See you are getting a lot of advice from people who have not even flown a Nitro3.

From TKB Reviews, Lithium is a 3-strut lower-aspect swept-tip delta hybrid with 6 pulleys in the bridle. Varial X is a higher aspect version with a 4 pulley bridle and more squared wingtips. Of the two, the Varial X is more like the Nitro3 (ignoring the 3-strut/pulley bridle combination) and the Lithium is more like the Element3 (ignoring the 6-pulley bridle and delta hybrid outline.) Neither Nitro3 or Element3 have or need pulleys in the bridle to achieve full de-power, stability and quick turning.

If you wish to boost high, get upwind quickly and push your progression in the sport, the Nitro3 will definitely take you there. If you are more into waves, Element3 is the choice. In either case with Switch you are getting a high quality, fully-sorted kite with a 100% satisfaction guarantee and immediate 24/7 on-line service and advice from the people who design, make and use them. You are also saving US$300-400 you can use towards that surfboard.

No matter what you decide, we appreciate your interest in Switch and support your decision. There are a lot of great kites on the market. Switch does not take a back seat to any when it comes to performance, durability and value. If not Switch now, hopefully we can serve you in the future.
Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:06 am 
Rare Poster

My initial thought was a used lithium hopefully on that 500-600 range, but my searches on ebay, craigslist were unlucky.

I guess it is pretty much Lithium vs Nitro or Element, and from your input i'll happy either way. Ill probably wait a bit for a better deal on the lithium and if i get a Switch i'll be back with a feedback

Thank you all for all the help!

Cheers

[ 10 posts ]