Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite w/lightest bar pressure bcuz of hand injury

Forum for kitesurfers
TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite w/lightest bar pressure bcuz of hand injury

Postby TheJoe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:57 pm

tautologies wrote:
TheJoe wrote: All so you can try shortening your lines as longer lines have more drag and increase bar pressure.
Wow. does that really make much difference? I mean if you look at it, lets say the lines are 4 or 7 meters, the only increase in bar pressure would be however much pressure the wind put on the extra 4-7 meters of line? Can it really be that much?
It can make a big difference for 2 reasons. Kite will fly to the edge of the window faster, and secondly the kite will not set as deep. There is a reason everyone thinks short lines less power, long lines more power. It is neither wind going over a kite generates power. It does not make a difference how far that kite is from you.

Easiest way to test this is with the Wainman's. Fly them powered on 24m lines then come in take them down to 17m. You will see the difference.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 am

Westozzy wrote:
If this guy rides edges in these winds then I can assure you one he is no noob and two he could out edge you my friend. The edge kites demands this like no other kite. Edge or you die!

Noob, ....mate where do you get off!! Lets see you take the edge out in those winds, go on I dare you smart ass.

Even in these winds the bar pressure is light ( and by the way the reason we take them out in these winds is unlike other kites, this kite gets better and better towards its top end, its called superior aerodynamics).

That is what the topic is about. High aspect kite like the edge has light bar pressure and needn't be sined as much as it builds incredible apparent wind and can be lock off and loaded with one down stroke....oh yeh then you have to really, really edge. Never used one have ya mate!
Of course the guys not a noob and can edge, you werent born yesterday were you :thumb: and I take it that you are also saying that Ozone have bullshitted in saying the Edge has a huge depower...and then also said it demands to be edged or die :jump:

Unlike the Fuels or Torches which of course you learn all about real edging but dont die - just learn high wind skills like everyone else - its pretty normal :lol:

Oh and the Edges are the only High aspect kite ever built - well I'll be damned, a few years ago they could do barely more than stay up in the air on 5 lines let alone 'turn' of which they still dont do very well - when other high aspect ratio kites with light bar pressure were blasting past and looping !!!

Do your homework and also ask about early Torch depower/edgeing

Like I said - change down, use a stopper, the bar pressure becomes less with more useable 'full power' and less pull in gusts with obviously less edging pressure. I use the stopper after every transition then release for jumps...

Oh yeah I have no experience with a Variety of hybrids and c kites and wave kites over the years to actually know why I wrote the above sentence...

P.s if the Edge is so fast - why hasnt it won any speed comps, Oh it must be cause the leading edge - is as big as Yo Mamas Butt :rollgrin: ha ha just kidding :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:16 am

Well it's my 14th season and I have ridden most types and brands including the torch. Yes it is a good kite as well. I took offence to the noob comment really.

I missed the stopper on my north kites when I went over to the edge. But I don't now. you don't need it the apparent wind build up means you don't need one. The bar pressure is light enough to control this.

On kites that generate their pull with less apparent wind a stopper does help I would agree.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:26 am

Westozzy :) yes sorry bout that I'll think a little more before I write in future... Will hopefully try the edges this week but will still use the naish bar n stopper for old school :) another little trick for reducing arm pull, is to leave the stopper on during basic and some small jump transitions so its fingertip redirections...
Even with big deadmans :o haa a friend i showed how to deadman came charging up to me about an hr later having got the courage up on his C4. Then pulls the trick in front of me, a 10 footer and crashes headfirst out of the sky (deep water) lol he forgot i said he needed a stopper :)

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:57 am

Not sure why someone said to stay away from deltas, they can have some of the lightest bar pressure.

I would recommend the LF Envy or NRG, those have very light bar pressure compared to anything else I've flown. There is also the Best Kahoona, which has slightly more but it's still super light. I've also heard the Epic Screamer fits in this category as well.

Lots of different types of kites to try but most brands have something that has little bar pressure, just depends what you are looking for.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:27 am

Kite2Heaven wrote:Westozzy :) yes sorry bout that I'll think a little more before I write in future... Will hopefully try the edges this week but will still use the naish bar n stopper for old school :) another little trick for reducing arm pull, is to leave the stopper on during basic and some small jump transitions so its fingertip redirections...
Even with big deadmans :o haa a friend i showed how to deadman came charging up to me about an hr later having got the courage up on his C4. Then pulls the trick in front of me, a 10 footer and crashes headfirst out of the sky (deep water) lol he forgot i said he needed a stopper :)

Yep I agree I miss the deadman option on the ozone depower for sure. it would be a better system with one except on the edges as you tend to need the depower throw when fully lit and edging as much as possible. also in the loop.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:30 pm

I had north evos great kites,but my elbows hurt like hell after a long session ,so maybe delta shape are not the best if you have tendon problems,TONY

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:54 pm

dyyylan wrote:
I've also heard the Epic Screamer fits in this category as well.
The Screamer has a reasonable light barpressure and doesnt really get alot in higher winds. But i would call it medium barpressure.
The Renegade has less barpressure.

Maybe you have the possibillity to test them?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:32 am

dyyylan wrote:Not sure why someone said to stay away from deltas, they can have some of the lightest bar pressure.

I would recommend the LF Envy or NRG, those have very light bar pressure compared to anything else I've flown. There is also the Best Kahoona, which has slightly more but it's still super light. I've also heard the Epic Screamer fits in this category as well.

Lots of different types of kites to try but most brands have something that has little bar pressure, just depends what you are looking for.

Well I have ridden the screamers and I would say the bar pressure is medium not light (heavy compared to the edge) but I would then say heavy when turning the kite. But Jesus did that screamer SCREAM, fuckin jumping machine man. I'm prone to heavy bar pressure due to the same condition the guy who stared this post so maybe I'm over sensitive.

But funny enough I have an epic screamer ltd 10m ( more C in it, meant to be 'softer') and a nrg demo kite in the shed as we speak that I will be taking out as some retailers have asked for feedback on them. Will let you know soon if you like.

Every delta I have flown has a heavyish bar pressure, compared to the edge. The lightest was the wainmen a really good kite IMO. The kahoona heavier bar pressure.

Its all relative. But given this guys condition and I know from experience he needs to stay away from deltas including the evo mentioned. That indeed has a heavier bar pressure. Again its all relative.

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:44 am

Hi Curranj:
You might enjoy the Switch Element which was designed with low bar pressure as a prime criteria and proven to be very popular: http://kite2012.com/best-kite-2012/
Sizes are 7, 9, 11, 13, 15.
More info here: http://switchkites.com/products/kites/element.html
Cool vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKBie6SJuM0
Cheers! :thumb:
curranj wrote:Im looking for some new kites but have damaged tendons in my hand and am looking for kites with extrememly low bar pressure. Any suggestions? Probably 8-9 m and 12-14m

Return to “Kitesurfing”