*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Kitesurfing board vs Surfboard width vs.lenght
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:05 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:09 am
Posts: 519
Ive never seen production or custom surfboards follow that pattern through their size range. Some will preserve more width or introduce more hip or whatever as they size down within a range, but I haven't seen a model of board that is wider in its smaller sizes than in its larger sizes.

Just a quick look at any surfboard site like rusty, channel island or firewire and you can see the scaling of width and thickness within a model line scales in the same direction as lenght.

Of course you as an individual rider need various proportion boards that dont follow that simple scale to match to various conditions. My big board is 5 inches shorter than by little board.

A shaper that shapes you a quiver designed to cover a range of conditions will scale boards based more on volume, but thats not what is represented by different sizes of a board for retail. Those are pretty much across the board designed for different size riders.

Even a quiver of boards for one rider by a single shaper are not really boards of a same model. They are a small wave model up to a gun and would be analogus to multiple models within the range of any brand.

You can easily pick an appropriate quiver from any surf or even kite brand that follows the scaling you mention, but I dont see any difference in how kite and surf companies size their gear within any given model of board.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kitesurfing board vs Surfboard width vs.lenght
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:31 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:39 pm
Posts: 101
Location: CA, HI
mute point -

board sizes, shapes and fin assembly had been discussed since the beginning of time (or the 60ies for surfers)
Same for wake boards, twin tips, skim boards, ... - all have their own dynamics, purpose and therefor preference with riders.

peace


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kitesurfing board vs Surfboard width vs.lenght
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:22 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:09 am
Posts: 519
Dr Makani wrote:
mute point -

board sizes, shapes and fin assembly had been discussed since the beginning of time (or the 60ies for surfers)
Same for wake boards, twin tips, skim boards, ... - all have their own dynamics, purpose and therefor preference with riders.

peace



Shit! almost everything on here has been discussed to death and then some. Might as well shut er down.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kitesurfing board vs Surfboard width vs.lenght
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:22 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:39 pm
Posts: 101
Location: CA, HI
Brent4336 wrote:
Shit! almost everything on here has been discussed to death and then some. Might as well shut er down.


dam, you are right. I am such a rainmaker for parades :D
My bad and apologies

peace


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kitesurfing board vs Surfboard width vs.lenght
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:45 am 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:38 pm
Posts: 121
Location: Puerto Rico
Brent4336 wrote:
Ive never seen production or custom surfboards follow that pattern through their size range. Some will preserve more width or introduce more hip or whatever as they size down within a range, but I haven't seen a model of board that is wider in its smaller sizes than in its larger sizes.

Just a quick look at any surfboard site like rusty, channel island or firewire and you can see the scaling of width and thickness within a model line scales in the same direction as lenght.



You're correct for "production" surfboards of the same model usually they follow the rule
shorter board = less width and longer board = more width probably assuming that the shorter board is for a lighter guy and the longer board is for a heavier guy.

Sorry but probably I don't explain correctly my question about surfboards............... :idea:
When I talk about surfboards I don't specify that I refer to "custom" surfboards (I prefer to buy custom surfboards) for the same person. So if I like a surfboard model and I want
the same model but shorter I would ask the shaper for more width and tickness.

So I was not comparing apples to apples. :nono:
Because I was comparing customs surfboards with production kite surfboards


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kitesurfing board vs Surfboard width vs.lenght
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:53 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Posts: 8594
Location: Oahu
Manuel V wrote:

You're correct for "production" surfboards of the same model usually they follow the rule
shorter board = less width and longer board = more width probably assuming that the shorter board is for a lighter guy and the longer board is for a heavier guy.

Sorry but probably I don't explain correctly my question about surfboards............... :idea:
When I talk about surfboards I don't specify that I refer to "custom" surfboards (I prefer to buy custom surfboards) for the same person. So if I like a surfboard model and I want
the same model but shorter I would ask the shaper for more width and tickness.

So I was not comparing apples to apples. :nono:
Because I was comparing customs surfboards with production kite surfboards


so then you can re-read my first answer.

A custom board shaper would obviously do the same while designing for different people.


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FredBGG, Google [Bot], rtz, Sean7210, tomi3000, Xtream and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group