North Evo - Pumping Struts, not one pump, not one way valve

Forum for kitesurfers
snowycarter
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Evo - Pumping Struts, not one pump, not one way valve

Postby snowycarter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:39 am

Hi there, i just got a brand new but still a 2008 North EVO 7m, I got it for my 11 y.o son to learn on.
It is not one pump but that is okay as there are just 3 struts. Problem is there is no stopper ball or one way action on the valves. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to inflate and insert the plug without losing all the air :?:

I was thinking that maybe the best thing would be to just replace those 3 valves with some valves that have stoppers inside them??

Really appreciate any suggestions on this.

Thanks
8)

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Re: North Evo - Pumping Struts, not one pump, not one way va

Postby Jono 111 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:28 am

Hi - that used to be the standard setup on various (but not all) kites....stopper ball on the leading edge, but none on the struts.

Just pump the strut, then pinch the valve between two fingers as you extract the pump and slot the stopper in (while still pinching the valve). It's harder to do this with low volume struts than larger ones, sometimes you may need to over pump them slightly to compensate for some loss....

That's my experience anyway, no big deal, wouldn't bother installing new valves unless you're really struggling with it.

Good luck!

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:16 pm

what you have is a first run of the evo, more or less proto type . that's why no one pump..
pretty sure, if I am wrong, sorry.
but I have seen one before and the nipples are so damn small, hard to inflate. was a long time ago though.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:21 pm

if you pump it, you can squeeze the valve.
If your kid, you better exchange the valves. just less hassle.

sfpete
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay area
Style: stayin' alive
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sfpete » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:04 pm

I think it was this way until 2010, at least for the LE. The struts had a self-stopping valve. I just slip my finger over the hole. You lose a little air this way, but not enough to matter.

snowycarter
Medium Poster

Postby snowycarter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:33 pm

Thanks all for your feedback. The biggest issue is the two small bladders near the wingtips. This is a 7m so they are tiny in terms of volume..... The problem is that those things that North installed that you stick into the bladder to deflate were left in there from when it was new in the bag so that little membrane valve thingy is useless.

I have been trying but the problems are a) the valve is to stiff to squeeze to prevent any loss after removing the pump and... b) doing the thumb over technique still results in too much loss..

Seems like i should get my hands on some old valves with a stopper and stick em on.

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:41 pm

Top brand North is always 2 years behind the rest.
They still use battens in their kites in 2013 !

sfpete
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay area
Style: stayin' alive

Postby sfpete » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:44 pm

try heating the valve up a bit while holding it upside down. Can use warm water or a hairdryer on low. It might get that little stopper to drop back down into position. I agree if you leave the little stick in too long, it can cause the stopper not to seal.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:23 am

Early evo and rebels,had self stop valves there a pain,but if you get it pumped up they usually start working,try pushing self stopper valve up,they will work TONY

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:10 am

OK, what tony just said, but in detail, here's something to try before replacing the valves :

Take the strut bladders out of the kite.By looking through the back side of the bladder opposte the valve, examine the 85%-sliced internal end cap of the vinyl valve bore to determine where it's sliced and where it is still attached.

You should see the sliced cap hanging a bit open, having take a set from years of having the draining-probe holding the cap open.

Using a blunt-tip or rounded probe-shaped tool, like the drain probe but probably stiffer, push the sliced cap back into the valve bore as far as possible ( the opposite of how it was stored for years ) and leave it pushed in for a day. You will be pushing on it through the opposite side of the bladder, make sure your tool tip is rounded so that you don't deform or puncture the bladder.

After a day the sliced cap should be sitting more closed and not gaping wide open. Inflate the bladder ( alone ) pumping very slowly ( to not force the cap wide open ) to the point where the bladder is tight as a drum and starting to bulge at it's largest circumference. Pull the pump nozzle out of the valve quickly. You want the pressure inside the bladder to act suddenly on the cap and slam it shut.

If the caps are now doing their thing, put the bladders back in the kite. If not, give them more time with the caps pushed into the bore.

If this works, then for a while, don't use the drain probes to deflate the struts, just pull the plugs and let them deflate on their own. The more time the sliced caps spend with internal pressure pushing them shut the better.

If it doesn't work, then replace the valves with stick-on 1-way valves.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
glasso (Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”