Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Kite videos got too boring to watch!!!

Postby alexeyga » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Is it just me or somebody else has noted too that lately kite videos were getting a lot better in quality and just plain boring to watch because it's nothing but wakestyle? Breath-taking beautiful locations! Mind-blowing camera work and shooting gear! Freaking cute chicks and the same, repetitive - so called - tricks - that nobody but wakestylers can understand and appreciate.... again.... and again... and again... :wallbash: Image

Now - WTF??? Does anybody actually enjoy it? Or is it just simpler to shoot because wake-tricks require less space and actual camera work? Not to mention that girls doing wakestyle look like fat cows on fu@#ing skis!!! Image

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite videos got too boring to watch!!!

Postby jens » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Its not anybody elses fault that you can't comprehend whats going on with the wake tricks. Kids these days are going way bigger with style and grabs, multiple passes, landing to blind , keeping the kite low, and landing at blistering speeds. The only reason its boring to you is cause you can't picture yourself doing any of it, therefor can't relate. The thing is , if you would start with the basics of wakestyle and work your way through the progression you would find it incredibly fun and not something reserved for the young and crazy.

I used to think the same about girls in wakestyle as well but they are starting to turn the corner.

The last thing that we need to see are tons of videos of average dudes dangling all over the place confusing there board with a baton.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm

jens: give room for people who like something different than passes. "more style" or "adding a grab" does not make it more exciting for those who just don't like it. Great for the ones who like and can see a difference.

the passing guys miss the respect towards other opinions and styles.
I guess it is a question of age.

And you will see the response to the Red Bull King of the Air. No PKRA event ever in the future will attract more spectators within all the medias given. Everyone is waiting for this event to happen...of all styles more or less.

It is time to put the focus of the sport on something else...back to jumping high. Thx to Red Bull the sport has something of his own again.

Erlend M B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Sideshore.no (Wainman Hawaii, Nobile, Crazy Fly)

Postby Erlend M B » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:21 pm

I think soccer is boring to watch, but I know of very many who think it's the most entertaining thing ever. That only means my opinion is different than others, not that they are all wrong. I like the wakestyle films. If you think they are boring, that is your opinion, and doesn't make it a fact.

You must like the mix between paragliding and a juggling act, and that's just fine, there is room for everything on the internet. You decide what you want tho spend your time on.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Lets not turn this thread into another FR vs FS vs WS bashing please.

There are actually dudes out there who like fat girs. I'm not one of them and I don't like all that wake-style mambo-jumbo. JENS you're totally right - I don't like doing Wake tricks and I don't like watching wake tricks because from the visual point of view that stuff simply doesn't flow and that's the main topic of this thread - Wake videos are dead boring to watch!

Problem is, pretty much all videos made these days are WAKE. And this is a worrisome because there's much more to Kiteboarding than grabs and passes.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:33 pm

alexeyga wrote:Is it just me or somebody else has noted too that lately kite videos were getting a lot better in quality and just plain boring to watch because it's nothing but wakestyle?
I am with you alex, kiteboarding videos are getting boring but it has nothing to do with wakestyle. You have directors copying their style of filming from other directors and well that's just as bland as how it sounds. That's what the problem is. 90% of the work is the director and producer. Only 10% is the kiteboarder.

I can and do watch those Andy Gordon films over and over.

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:34 pm

The kite industry needs to sell gear - and a successful way to do it is with excitement. Professional kite videos show 2% of skills at 2% of the places enjoyed by 2% of the kiter population. We, the remaining 98%, stink! We ride the same gear at the same spot with the same girlfriend AND WE LOVE IT!
However: We are spoiled by entertainment and the next generation of kiters needs to be drawn (in) by these kind of mini-movies. Simply you can't sell anything in the sports market without having it made 'professionally'.
So, the million dollar question to yourself: Who's watching these 98% of homemade, GoPro, duct-tape youtube/vimeo wipe-out murky water videos? Unless it shows you on a suicide mission, chased by hundreds of sharks, dangling 300 feet in the air and then smashing into a sand castle made out of concrete ...

peace

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Someone should make a video where the first minute of the video is them driving to the beach.

That would be epic

mz16
Frequent Poster

Postby mz16 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Totally AGREE with Bain, wtf, how many times do you have to watch some blond kid make a cup of coffee, drive to the beach, pump his kite, then walk out his lines. We get it, we know how it works.

As to the wake thing, some wake vids like the stuff the guys in antigua usually put out are terrific. But most are garbage. Meanwhile I love most of the Naish TV vids because they are all very unique and fun to watch, regardless of huge airs, wakestyle, or surf.

What makes kite videos boring (regardless of style) is monotony. Please no more fucking dubstep, its awful. Just try something unique and flavorful. Even though the technique isnt overwhelming, the Boardriding Maui vids are popular because they offer something different.

If it is done well, it will be great. Thats why F-one vids are great, and Autofocus is still amazing to watch today. Where is Killedthewind these days? His vids are always awesome

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm

so not to stick my foot in the horses mouth but I also make videos (or try to anyway) and I also completely agree with the subject question.

Don't get me wrong I really like wakestyle and pursue it every day, but most kiters I meet will probably never do mobes etc and they are perfectly happy not too. Maybe they will change their minds in the future, maybe they will not. What I think get's lost in these 'technical' oriented videos is the free spirit of kiteboarding and what it also represents to me at least. The crashes; great airs, progression etc.

So whatever blows your hair back I guess; so now it's up to me to tap into that market segment and listen to them and hopefully bring that piece of kiteboarding out there too. I think that's one of the greatest thinks about airstyle...and it also sounds soo much better than old school.

Return to “Kitesurfing”