Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Add below the bar flagging line possible?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jack C
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pompano Beach, Miami Beach, Crandon Park
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12m Xbow, Cabrinha Caliber, Cabrinha Rival, Dakine Pyro Harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Add below the bar flagging line possible?

Postby Jack C » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:36 pm

I have an "Old" 2008 cabrinha xbow 3 that was given to me
by a buddy. It's in really good shape and I have used it several times.
My question is, on that cabrinha powerdrive 2n1 bar, yes the dredded
bar pressure bar, is it possible to run a line through the bar to the ring
up top to the single front line flagging ring? This would be to connect the
leash below the bar. Otherwise it's always in suicide mode leash attachment.
Anyone tried this?
Any Idea's??? or just forget about it?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: ADD BELOW THE BAR FLAGGING LINE POSSIBLE?

Postby edt » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Jack C wrote:I have an "Old" 2008 cabrinha xbow 3 that was given to me
by a buddy. It's in really good shape and I have used it several times.
My question is, on that cabrinha powerdrive 2n1 bar, yes the dredded
bar pressure bar, is it possible to run a line through the bar to the ring
up top to the single front line flagging ring? This would be to connect the
leash below the bar. Otherwise it's always in suicide mode leash attachment.
Anyone tried this?
Any Idea's??? or just forget about it?
for sure, I mod my bars all the time. You need to lark's head some ordinary kite line that you splice to replace the current flagging line with flagging ring on that cab 2008 because it will have to go through the bar. So you need to know how to splice kite line. Then take that stainless steel swivel and replace it with a flagging block. When I make them I just get a 1x1 inch block of nylon and drill four holes, two big holes in the center to hold the center line strap, and too smaller holes at the edges. The smaller edge holes will have about 2mm (size of kite line) on the kite side and about 3mm (flagging line) on the bar size. Create a new flagging line that goes into your bar it will be made of slightly thicker line than kite line. If you want to nondestructive mod the chicken loop, just add a stainless steel ring lark's headed there and pass the line flagout line through it. Put everything together. Once you are finished it will be much the same as any other center line flagging system.

If this is hard to understand, go grab a liquid force, silngshot or ozone bar and just see how they do it.

You are giving up the swivel to make this mod if that matters. Not that swivels work that good anyways.

Hate those 2 for 1 bars. I have an assault that used to run on a 2 for 1 bar and I kept modding the bridle until I could get it to work on a 1 for 1 bar.

Jack C
Rare Poster

Re: Add below the bar flagging line possible?

Postby Jack C » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Thanks a million edt!

I'm gonna mod the bridal also, Pulley's everywhere, just a mess IMHO... But since i got it free in Practically new condition, i didn't want to "look a gift horse in the mouth" ya know...
Thanks for the info, i couldn't figure out how to get the flagging line attached below the bar
but what you said is perfect and simple.

I've looked around at the bridal mods online but didn't find anything that matched my bridal exactly.
I saw that cabrinha use to give out a little pigtail to extend the back line pulley off of the leading edge.
That is suppose to fix the bar pressure??? not! Mine has the pigtail so i'll have to figure it out
another way.

Thanks again edt! -Jack

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Be careful making mods, once or twice my assault dropped down in the power zone and death looped before I figured it all out. Test any changes in light winds first. Any changes you are making to your cab right now are out of spec so you'll just have to try it and see how it works.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:51 pm

Jack C wrote:Thanks a million edt!

I'm gonna mod the bridal also, Pulley's everywhere, just a mess IMHO... But since i got it free in Practically new condition, i didn't want to "look a gift horse in the mouth" ya know...
Thanks for the info, i couldn't figure out how to get the flagging line attached below the bar
but what you said is perfect and simple.

I've looked around at the bridal mods online but didn't find anything that matched my bridal exactly.
I saw that cabrinha use to give out a little pigtail to extend the back line pulley off of the leading edge.
That is suppose to fix the bar pressure??? not! Mine has the pigtail so i'll have to figure it out
another way.

Thanks again edt! -Jack
This is supposedly a bridle mod that works.
http://www.hanglos.nl/forum/215706/kite ... #reactions

As for the front line flagging, you could sort of copy the IDS flagging line from the 2009 IDS Xbow, but obviously it has to be shorter and you have to get rid of the big sewn end on the front line to allow everything to pass through without snagging. And you need to be sure the extra line will pass through the bar. There was a wear issue at the bar until they covered the IDS line with polyurethane where the bar slid on it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:36 am

ronnie wrote: As for the front line flagging, you could sort of copy the IDS flagging line from the 2009 IDS Xbow, but obviously it has to be shorter and you have to get rid of the big sewn end on the front line to allow
i dont suggest ids on a kite you've done a bridle mod on because for IDS to work the bridle has to be able to flip the kite, once you mod a bridle for better performance it prolly wont work. IDS is not just the bar it need the bridle to work with it. Single line flagging tho works on any kite.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:47 am

edt wrote:
ronnie wrote: As for the front line flagging, you could sort of copy the IDS flagging line from the 2009 IDS Xbow, but obviously it has to be shorter and you have to get rid of the big sewn end on the front line to allow
i dont suggest ids on a kite you've done a bridle mod on because for IDS to work the bridle has to be able to flip the kite, once you mod a bridle for better performance it prolly wont work. IDS is not just the bar it need the bridle to work with it. Single line flagging tho works on any kite.
I was only talking about one front line and having to change the end of the front line to get it to pass through the various bits.

Jack C
Rare Poster

Postby Jack C » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 am

ok so the bridal mod seems to fix the issue (thanks for the link ronnie), but i do see what you're saying and the line would probably wear right away... since there's not much room because it wouldn't be inside the poly cover that the bar slides on... don't know if it's worth trying it with a stronger line or if it would make the bar hard to move or jam it up....

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:55 am

dont worry about wear. if you learn how to splice you can get a new flag out section every couple of months. You can't use a real thick line because it gets stuck.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:08 am

ronnie wrote:I was only talking about one front line and having to change the end of the front line to get it to pass through the various bits.
Cool.

Return to “Kitesurfing”