Rare Poster
Local Beach: montpellier
Favorite Beaches: Guincho
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sliding hook harness?

Postby boulot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm new to the KF and I see a lot of post on sliding hook for waves.
First question: i see many wave kiters like sliding hook, does it make soo much difference?

I checked internet and find 2013 Mystic 2Face asym harness, 2013 DaKine sliding hook pad, 2013 JAY XT harness and JAY DYNABAR. Any suggestion or review?

Thanks.

onein5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vazon, L'Ancresse/Pembroke
Style: Sketchy!
Gear: Naish Cults 9m 12m, North Rebel 16m, RRD placebo 142 x 45

Re: Sliding hook harness?

Postby onein5 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Without a doubt the single most important purchase I ever made for wave kiting. Allows you to go upwind on your toeside like you never believed. Buy one - You won't regret it.
(PS Not a rep - just a punter)

boulot
Rare Poster

Postby boulot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:42 pm

onein5 wrote:Without a doubt the single most important purchase I ever made for wave kiting. Allows you to go upwind on your toeside like you never believed. Buy one - You won't regret it.
(PS Not a rep - just a punter)
Thanks, but wich one? Suggestion or review?
Attachments
mystic2face.png
Dakineslide.png
Dakineslide.png (35.88 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
jayxt.png

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:53 pm

There's plenty here using the Dynabar setup, and threads about it - but those are the first I've seen of the others!

onein5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vazon, L'Ancresse/Pembroke
Style: Sketchy!
Gear: Naish Cults 9m 12m, North Rebel 16m, RRD placebo 142 x 45

Postby onein5 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi there. Sorry about that - I only realised one existed and that is the Dynabar, which I have "Dynabar V5.1 freeride" - I guess it might well be telling that I had never heard of either of the other two types of sliding hook you put in your response.

Not to say that they suck, because I have never used anything except the Dynabar.

Review wise - it feels like a totally normal harness when it's wedged in the little outdentation at the front. No problems or technique changes required to use it for normal twin tippery. I never had it slide off in a weird way during jumps or anything like that, but as soon as you start riding toeside, the fixing point slips nicely off to the side and allows you to add 10 or maybe 15 degress more angle upwind, without the unpleasant twisting you get from a regular harness as it pulls around your body.

The upshot of this is you can just ride the whole session on your happy side (I know Peter Frank will be upset with me for suggesting it but...) you no longer have to Jybe, or try to learn to ride waves switch stance. You just get the kite up and roar off into a wave-riding frenzy.

I have quite an old model and I am sure that the old saying "Moving is just another way of saying 'not broken yet'" is completely true, but I have only had to replace one part and that is the plastic sheeting that covers the main hook attachment. This is sort of designed to wear down, and they send you a full set of replacement parts with the kit. Quick and easy job to fix when I noticed it was worn through.

Although it has never happened to me, or anyone else I have known, I guess it is possible to get your finger's caught in front of the hook as it slides, and the consequences of that would be really horrible I reckon, but you'd have to work pretty hard to make that happen - and from the first time you ride it, you'll realise that pro's massively outweight the cons.

Hope that helps. :P

Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction

Postby Manuel V » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm waiting for a review on the Mystic two face.
to see if I buy one.

Right now I have the Dynabar and one advantage is that you
don't need to buy the complete Harness you can buy only the bar
and use it with your actual Harness.

Another advantage of the Dynabar and the Dakine vs the two face is that you can move
to both sides you don't need set it as goofy or regular.

I never used the Dakine but "looks" that the Dynabar permit more movement to the sides

As onein5 mention:
"Allows you to go upwind on your toeside like you never believed.
Buy one - You won't regret it.
Without a doubt the single most important purchase I ever made for wave kiting"

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:27 pm

I had a dynabar for a couple of years before I broke it. I then just made my own, so you could make your own and see if you like it. Cut of the hook of a spreader, tie 5mm dyneema rope between each end of the bar, stick a quick release shackle on the rope to connect your chicken loop to and away you go. The chicken loop QR is still your primary safety but you get a second one with this.

I have had a sliding bar for 3 yrs+ now and would never go back, allows for better toeside both sides and better cutbacks/ gybes off the top.

Mike

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:06 pm

mike dubs wrote:I had a dynabar for a couple of years before I broke it. I then just made my own, so you could make your own and see if you like it. Cut of the hook of a spreader, tie 5mm dyneema rope between each end of the bar, stick a quick release shackle on the rope to connect your chicken loop to and away you go. The chicken loop QR is still your primary safety but you get a second one with this.

I have had a sliding bar for 3 yrs+ now and would never go back, allows for better toeside both sides and better cutbacks/ gybes off the top.

Mike
any chance some pictures mike,thanks TONY

boulot
Rare Poster

Postby boulot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Mystic and Dakine well known brands, they have nice look (I know is not the difference).
I search forum for belt sliding spreadbar and someone say "the belt wears quickly" and
"I have to tight it a lot" . Hook on belt looks more compact but I doubt about sliding. No feedback on this?

About JAY quality looks ok but i found "the frame bent or brake" more feedback?
It is strange so many say "the single most important purchase I ever made " but no kiter use on my spot.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Tony,

This is the new Engine harness site that Alldredge and Rebstock wear. i have one on order. if you look at the accessories part there are pictures of a self made sliding bar similar to mine.
https://shop.ride-engine.com/

mike

Return to “Kitesurfing”