Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The biggest tube kite on the market, 21 mts

Forum for kitesurfers
KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The biggest tube kite on the market, 21 mts

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 am

edt wrote:some day i want to own a naish v4 30m. Love big kites. It's that feeling of completely powered on a 10 knot day.
Would the slogan be "turns like an 18 with the power of a 35"? :lol:

It will be interesting to hear how this giant flies.

Nice Video Chipmunk. She made handling that 19m look easy. :thumb:
Last edited by KYLakeKiter on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:18 am

This mammoth tube ULW kite is shipped with inclusive 8m extensions to get lines to 28 meters long

Normal bar comes with lines 20m + 4m extensions...so go wild and ride 32m lines :D

Hello KY Lakekiter.....i like your posts...they are easy :wink: to read

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:06 am

The Vimeo video on page 1 of this thread is of their 17m2 ( last year model )...the kite had 5 struts

The newest generation 17m2 features 4 struts...further reducing the total weight

The newer generation Notus 21m2 has 3 struts

Just an easy 4 Pump-it-Up :wink: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump:

............................ :surf: :sun: ....................................................................................................................
Last edited by SupaEZ on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herbert_U
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Herbert_U » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:35 am

What is the weight exactly on the Zeeko Notos 21?

Zeeko
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier, France
Style: all styles
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko

Postby Zeeko » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi,

I designed this kite because I ride a lot in light wind.
The 21m is the 2nd kite I use the most.
I designed it to have the lightest weight as possible: lightest reinforcements, no one pump, no pulleys. In the XLW range of kite, the 14m and 17m have 4 struts, the 21m only 3 Struts.

The total weight is the kite (I just checked mine) is 3.650Kg which is very light for such size.

I used a lot 4 years ago the 14m as biggest kite. But as I ride now with "real light wind weapon", I feel I could ride with bigger kite to go in very low wind.

What is the gain for such size:
Having tons of power in super light wind.
As you know power increase with surface and the square of the wind. Then when the wind down, the power decrease as square of it. Additionnaly, more surface you have and more power you have, specially in light winds.
When wind pass from 6 to 5knots, you loose around 30% of power, then there is no secret, to increase power, you need a bigger kite (or add extension lines or do both)
But in light wind you have one barrier: the weight of the kite.
With its design and its weight, I ride full powered in 5knots (lulls).

To confirm here a pic of the 2012 french racing championship with the first prototype
With the ERA system, you feel better for relaunching :naughty:
And the kite is supply with 8m extension lines as this is the worst to have a big kite with short lines in light wind. The wind window is too small to create power.

Finally, I rode all the 2012 french racing championship (the world cup is forbidden for foilboard :evil: ) and I won it against Julien Kerneur and Maxime Nocher some of the best racing riders (they also used foilboard when they felt it was necessary)

Ride easy,

Nicolas

Last edited by Zeeko on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Zeeko wrote:Hi,
I designed this kite because I ride a lot in light wind.
The 21m is the 2nd kite I use the most.
I designed it to have the lightest weight as possible: lightest reinforcements, no one pump, no pulleys. In the XLW range of kite, the 14m and 17m have 4 struts, the 21m only 3 Struts.

The total weight is the kite (I just checked mine) is 3.650Kg which is very light for such size.

I used a lot 4 years ago the 14m as biggest kite. But as I ride now with "real light wind weapon", I feel I could ride with bigger kite to go in very low wind.

What is the gain for such size:
Having tons of power in super light wind.
As you know power increase with surface and the square of the wind. Then when the wind down, the power decrease as square of it. Additionnaly, more surface you have and more power you have, specially in light winds.
But in light wind you have one barrier: the weight of the kite.
With its design and its weight, I ride full powered in 5knots (lulls).

To confirm here a pic of the 2012 french racing championship with the first prototype
With the ERA system, you feel better for relaunching :naughty:
And the kite is supply with 8m extension lines as this is the worst to have a big kite with short lines in light wind. The wind window is too small to create power.

Finally, I rode all the 2012 french racing championship (the world cup is forbidden for foilboard :evil: ) and I won it against Julien Kerneur and Maxime Nocher some of the best racing riders (they also used foilboard when they feelt it was necessary)

Ride easy,

Nicolas
Interesting - thanks Nicolas. I wouldn't be surprised if your kite dominates in ultra-light winds. Have you tested it against other renowned light wind kites like the 18m Dyno or 19m Edge?

Zeeko
Frequent Poster

Postby Zeeko » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:08 pm

To be honest, I didn't try such size of other brands.
What I know is during racing contests, I never use the 21m because when I ride it, I'm alone on the water. Because I'm alone on the water the contest directors don't start the race (other competitors have usually 18 or 17m as biggest kites) :lol:

But the target of the 21m is:
- to have a kite keeping the zenith in 5knots, which it does.
- to have the max of power with the lowest wind.
- to have a kite very easy to ride in light winds
By now, I love to ride the most :21m because I'm alone on the water and a 7m for kiteloopings!!!

Ride easy,
Nicolas

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Zeeko wrote: With its design and its weight, I ride full powered in 5knots (lulls).
Ride easy,
Nicolas
Merci / thank you Nicholas for this NO BS :thumb:
I do believe that on your foilboard in "lulls" of 5kn you are fully powered

Would you say that on wide raceboard in "lulls" of 6kn fully powered

Also with non-raceboard (or SUP :wink: ) in "lulls" of 7kn fully powered

How does the shape / profile /outline of that kite compared to my Core Riot XR2LW 19m2 ?

Is it more suited for Freeride...cruising...racing....relatively agile and quick turning in LW for waves ?

How does it loop & downloop in 9-10kn....to do LW aerial transitions turns and jibes

If it is necessary to sine kite for gaining speed on the water.. how is the power on the upstroke ?

................. :surf: :sun: ......have a nice day...........bonjour................................................................

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi Nicolas
could you comment relaunch in the lower wind range - 5kntos! what board are you using? - of that 21?

do you need to use the ERA or is it able to relaunch even without it?

Zeeko
Frequent Poster

Postby Zeeko » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:51 pm

As you know in light wind, relaunching is more difficult,
the main problem is the wind at the water level. Usually when you have a breeze, the wind strength is lower at water level.
For that I suggest to use the ERA line (which is also supply with the kite).
The Era is a simple additionnal line, without it if you have less than 8knots it is very difficult to relaunch such a big kite. With it, it is very more simple. You can relaunch the kite without it, but you need more wind.

My tip is:
for Racing contest I remove ERA line, as the target is the max of performance, and less drag as possible. When I ride for myself, I have ERA on my big kites.
For 5knots riding, there is no secret, you need light wind dedicated boards: race boards, big light wind TT or foilboards. But foilboard is the most performant by far in light winds, and it add new sensations.
About the shape of the kite, the 21m is a medium/High AR. As the target is to create a lot of power in very light wind, a high AR kite need more speed to create power, this is why I design the kite with a medium/high AR instead of a real High AR kite. You loose a little in upwind, but the kite is more easy to ride in light wind. This is the choice I did.

Should I need to sine the kite in light wind? it depends on the wind force, in 5knots one sine to start (with a foilboard) in 6 knots no need. But this depends highly of the kind of board.
For example, in 5knots of wind, my ride speed it around 18knots, in 7knots: 24knots approx
About downlooping, no trouble this is also better to jibe using a downloop like this you create more power.

Ride easy,

Nicolas

PS: here the english tech sheet
http://docs.zeeko-kiteboarding.com/docs ... g%20uk.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”