Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 Blade Fat Lady

Postby Tiago1973 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:17 pm

also really love the 1st fat lady gen

the thing while overpowered is that the LE distorce and flaps a bit, like a seagull... not sure if it is as it is due to the thinner LE+3 struts or just the stitching start getting old

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Ya got that pulsing too. I think its due to the thin leading edge, as well as the fact you can't depower it beyond a certain point.

BladeKitesUS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Blade Kites
Brand Affiliation: Blade Kites

Postby BladeKitesUS » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:20 pm

The 2013 Fat Lady has a much improved upper wind range than the 2012 in most people's experience. The kite holds it shape better, and has less bar pressure.

I am eager to see what the 3rd generation Fat Lady is going to be like when it becomes available this coming spring.

URSS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baie de Valois
Oka
Vaudreuil
Anse a l'orme
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Magdelan Island
Shippagan
Gear: EH ripper
Monkey Griffin
Ozone Instince

Postby URSS » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:38 am

Tiago1973 wrote:also really love the 1st fat lady gen

the thing while overpowered is that the LE distorce and flaps a bit, like a seagull... not sure if it is as it is due to the thinner LE+3 struts or just the stitching start getting old
Leading edge is small, you have to pump it hard. I got this problem with the 2013 at first, when kitelooping fully powered (15 knots). Since I pump it hard, I never got the problem. Even last week-end when the wind picked-up and I was kitelooping the Fat Lady in 18-20 knots!

This kite is amazing : light wind freestyle sessions in 12 knots with plenty of POP!

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:43 am

URSS wrote:This kite is amazing : light wind freestyle sessions in 12 knots with plenty of POP!
yes, it is.

And I suspect that the 1st gen is even better for lightwind freestyle than 2013 at the expense of a lower up-wind ability :)

just hope Blade does not mess much with it in the different generations - there will be a time when I will have to change mine...

URSS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baie de Valois
Oka
Vaudreuil
Anse a l'orme
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Magdelan Island
Shippagan
Gear: EH ripper
Monkey Griffin
Ozone Instince

Postby URSS » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:16 am

Tiago1973 wrote: And I suspect that the 1st gen is even better for lightwind freestyle than 2013 at the expense of a lower up-wind ability :)

just hope Blade does not mess much with it in the different generations - there will be a time when I will have to change mine...
This was my concern with the 2013 but I think that Blade have found the right balance between freestyle/lightwind/upwind-ability (if you will) and turning speed.

The 2013 is slightly slower than 1st gen but I think it's mainly due to the shorter bar. Though this kite is still the fastest turning 17m that I've tried and still fun to kiteloop.

But you're right, let's not mess with the 3rd generation. The Fat Lady is unique, we don't need another high aspect lightwind/race kite. Let's keep the fun factor!

If I had one advice to Blade is to test a longer bar on the next generation. Turning speed on the 1st generation was mind blowing, slightly reduce on 2013, but perfect for freestyle. Let's not go slower than the 2013, we like to kiteloop that Fat Lady.

And by the way, good luck to improve this kite! :wink:

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:49 pm

BladeKitesUS wrote:The 2013 Fat Lady has a much improved upper wind range than the 2012 in most people's experience. The kite holds it shape better, and has less bar pressure.

I am eager to see what the 3rd generation Fat Lady is going to be like when it becomes available this coming spring.
Yes it does hold its shape very well indeed! probably one of the reason why it doesn't depower that well. So great in the low end, but harder to control at the high.

I did crash the kite once on a failed trick and one end of the kite twisted on itself. I suspect because the frame is not that rigid, but I was able to pull it back into proper shape rather easily.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:44 pm

If you love a kite you can throw around,
lots of pop,
and enjoyable bar pressure or feel for the power and location...
the Fat Lady is really sweet choice.
Best freerider kite I have ever flown...its so smooth and precise.

http://youtu.be/rmu2W1C54HM

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:42 am

Hey guys, anyone riding surfboards in the waves while on the Fat Lady. Is it possible for a big kite like this to have any drift in say 10-15 knots?

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:45 pm

@ topmick,
If it's more side shore and closer to 15 than 10, than riding down-the-line is doable. The two characteristics about the Fat Lady that sold me is it's turning speed and ability to stay aloft when riding towards the kite(drift). The thicker leading edges and weight of other big kites make them sluggish IMHO and will hindenburg much sooner than the Fat Lady in light wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”