All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: North Carolina Newbie Looking for Advice.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:39 pm 
Rare Poster

Hello! I'm another newb looking for some advice from seasoned riders.

I just relocated from Tampa Florida to the Inner Banks of North Carolina.

I've done search after search on the forum for general advice. I'm looking for a good place to take lessons ASAP, and places to buy gear.

I'm a larger guy (6'3" & 220), so any gear advice would be appreciated. Right now I'm leaning towards an Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 14m after reading some positive reviews on the board. What board size would you recommend? I've had several knee surgeries so I'd like to find something with a little flex.

I'd like to support my local shops (Kitty Hawk Kites, and Real Water Sports). KHK seemed a bit high on prices, but there school has great reviews. Again any advice would be appreciated.

Since I'm a new resident (Washington, NC) if anyone on the board is local, and doesn't mind someone tagging along let me know. Thanks!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: North Carolina Newbie Looking for Advice.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:51 pm 
Medium Poster

Before you waste a lot of time and $$$$, call Ty. That will be the best start you can get. He will teach you to kite like a boss, and answer all your questions.

http://www.kitehatteras.net/ :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:20 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Get a harness that fits and a good wetsuit first.
Take lessons and fly at least 3 different kites before you buy one.
Ty gets good lesson reviews, so does Real generally but they hire new guys every year.
As for the local shops, they are sort of like the "General Electric" and "General Motors" of kite retail anyway.
Real is in a great spot, and the owners and some staff are great knowledge resources.
KHK has a lovely giftshop and they sell kites too. Both shops tend to sell at full price.
Best thing KHK does imho is let you ride at their shop.
Don't feel guilty if you fail to fork over $$$ to these 800lb gorillas right away, they'll thrive either way. Between them they support many brands, so you should be good for product support down the road, no matter what.
Mainly, get to know the lay of the land, have fun and be safe!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:00 am 
Rare Poster

Thank you for the advice.

I'll contact Ty this week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:19 am 
Rare Poster

+2 for Ty, learned from him a few months ago. You'll save a lot of time and money by just going to him from the get go, the boat support is huge.... And his boat's 'Tower time' is very helpful as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:13 am 
Frequent Poster

I had some Tower Time early on and felt it was a huge head start on board starts since it removes the kite from the equation and lets one get a feel for the start and time spent actually riding on the board. I previously didn't have any other board type experience(wake, snow, skate).

My early kite lessons I had in another state always felt like I was using one size too small of kite. Maybe for "safety" reasons or maybe for more hours of lessons... It's much easier to learn to actually ride when the conditions are "park and ride" and not having to really work the kite to extract enough power out of it; especially when just learning.

Tower Time is kinda like wakeboarding using a kiteboard and a harness and short lines. Guaranteed board starts. And it's slow and controlled.

Scroll way down for pics of the Tower:

https://www.facebook.com/kite.hatteras

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:19 am 
Frequent Poster

OBX Kiter wrote:
Before you waste a lot of time and $$$$, call Ty. That will be the best start you can get. He will teach you to kite like a boss, and answer all your questions.

http://www.kitehatteras.net/ :thumb:

I learned at REAL but many people I know learned through Ty and I think progressed faster.

INVEST your money with him or anyone for PROFESSIONAL lessons BEFORE you go out and start with the typical newbie kiter ritual of looking for "deals" on "crispy" used (outdated) kites and shit on craigslist and ebay etc.

Once you are up and riding, the Ocean Rodeo Mako 150 is a great softer riding board to soak up the chop and its riding stance helps to put more equal weighting on both legs. This reduces the stress on your back leg/knee substantially.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:28 am 
Rare Poster

Today I ordered a trainer kite.

Tomorrow I hope to get in-touch with Ty. I know water temps are cold, but that's what 7 mil wetsuits are for. I hope I can get with Ty shortly.

Thanks a ton for all the advice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:56 am 
Frequent Poster

You still might get a chill with 7 mil right now. Hope you have some gloves and at least 5 mm booties, beanie too!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:34 pm 
Frequent Poster

Soulrider,
Before you spend any more money on gear, take your lesson. Most shops will offer discounts to students that take lessons from them. I have no idea of Ty's affiliations (if any), but I know that he's been around a long time and has had good reviews for YEARS. Welcome to kiteboarding and good luck! :thumb:

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next