Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Len10 now riding Best!

Forum for kitesurfers
surf-turkey
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Len10 now riding Best!

Postby surf-turkey » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:04 am

But really, how did Shannon join the Frey? SQ?

Hunqi
Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hunqi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:48 am

Seems like Len10 is the good replacement for Andy but time will tell :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:56 am

Which Andy?

Hunqi
Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone

Postby Hunqi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:19 am

Toby wrote:Which Andy?
Andy Herdsman the "Grass-Hopper"

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 pm

Anabatic_co_nz wrote: Seriously... Shannon who? just read this
History re written? http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/The-REAL-Best-Story
Wow...that is funny and SAD that they wrote Shannon Best out of the Best kiteboarding history. What a joke.

Username wrote:...
As far as graphics were concerned, Alex had used a fish in the logos for his 2 prior companies, and no matter what, he wanted a fish in the logo. That's what he told the graphic designer, and the graphic designer...
"...drew us a penis shaped like a fish."

:lol:

Here are some excerpts from a 2009 gumball interview. In fairness, it doesn't make it sound like Shannon was a creative force behind things, but he was very clearly the marketing force behind the company. He was their "Dimitri" and was at every event associated with the Brand. Without Shannon or another pro like him, there would not be a Best Kiteboarding today. He is the rockstar that we drove to beach to see kite, believing the hype and expecting to see Best girls pouring out of the Best Bus...
Who are some of the people who have helped make this possible?
My sister, for sending me that video clip, but what I excel at is being passionate about something and starting a venture. I’m very good at that, however when it comes to day-to-day operations as a business matures there are people who are better qualified, and that’s why I hired Ian Huschle to be the president and CEO of Best. He more than anybody has taken a start-up venture and brought it to maturity, and he’s made it a fantastically valuable company now. And then of course, there’s Shannon and Jeff, who helped me start the company back in 2004, and without them I couldn’t have gotten anywhere.
How active is Shannon Best in the company?
Shannon’s our face man for the company. He travels around, signs autographs, kites, does clinics, and promotes our sport and our company.

Do you still ride and hangout with Shannon as much as you used to?
Yes, we were just in Brazil together for about four months and we rode together every day.
This is clearly OT, I know, but I just saw the post where Shannon got written out of the history of a company he was instrumental in building, naming, and man...that's funny.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:34 pm

quite a few things were left out. "He met Peter and they agreed on an alliance"?

The first Best kites were old EH designs. The agreement was with Eric H, who as far as I know were the designed of the kites...not Peter, and Best and EH soon started fighting big time, and then Peter switched sides. It was not gracious.

I mean I had about 8 of those first kites, and liked them, but they were not designed for Best, they were EH kites.

That said, I think this is just cut from a news article, so it might not be entirely unreasonable that they "simplify" a bit. Still, Best should have a mention here.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 pm

tautologies wrote:Still, Best should have a mention here...
Wasn't he? Oh, they cut him out of the real story...where is the third of the tree mentioned here: http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/The-REAL-Best-Story "Put these three together and you have one of the most interesting mixes you could possibly imagine."

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Caesar wrote:
tautologies wrote:Still, Best should have a mention here...
Wasn't he? Oh, they cut him out of the real story...where is the third of the tree mentioned here: http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/The-REAL-Best-Story "Put these three together and you have one of the most interesting mixes you could possibly imagine."
Yeah, that's just weird and discredits anything you'll hear from that company.
Would have been perfectly fine to tell the true story, and then towards the end state "...after 8 exciting years Shannon and Best Kiteboarding have chose to go their separate ways with the company continuing to push the boundaries of....<insert marketing babble here>"

Return to “Kitesurfing”