Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

which kite jumped the highest at King of the Air?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: which kite jumped the highest at King of the Air?

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Papand:

Riders like you have the most valuable opinion if it comes to feedback!
So always post your opinion and feedback!

Formeveryone not knowing South Africa...winds are more dens than in other parts of the world.
In 30-40 knots in Brazil you don't get that high and fly that long.

So Capetown is the perfect place for such an event!

Nice kickers, strong and dense wind...perfect for flying!

But I am sure Torch and Vegas also perform as high jumpers in any other wind.

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChristoffM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Why didn't some of the guys use dedicated high jump kites? Wouldn't such an event good advertisement for e.g. the Naish Draft?
Oswald Smith was on a super high aspect ratio kite from Airush which I assume is their VXR race kite. He looked to be jumping the same heght as the other guys on C kites, but it did look like he was able to get back upwind faster to do more jumps in 10minutes.

The float times depended largely on the guys kiteskills more than the kite. If they guys did a mega loop or threw the kite low through the power zone, then their forward speed was too high and they did not get as much hang time. Most hangtime was from guys keeping the kite high, but doing lots of loops on the way down.
so why didn't kevin win? had a bad round and bombed out?
Yes, I think he had a bad round. He was out on a 9m, boosted huge, and then came in during the heat to change kite to a 10m. I think he wanted to go too high and the 10m was so overpowered that he could not time his jumps anymore and did not boost so high or do any nice tricks for the rest of the heat? I was serious dissapointed not to see him go to the finals.

I measured the wind occasionally (although it could be slightly stronger out in the water in lceaner air) and the average was 20 knots in the opening rounds, building to average 27 knots in the later rounds and some stronger winds now and then with a max gust that I measured of 37 knots. One could see the guys battle a bit when the wind fell back to 22 knots for a few minutes after being about 30 knots for a good while.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Was anyone competing with an Epic kite?

Cheers
Caesar 8)

jteabird
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby jteabird » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:10 pm

I'm curious if the riders get all expenses paid and what the purse might be ?? Anybody have any idea??

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 pm

wind density - so true

35 - 40 knots is western australia summer is so different to nz winter! i like the sound of south africa wind - hopefully not as gusty as nz winter wind tho.

So torch jumped highest? or airush kite and torch?

anyride ride an rrd? they got some boosting power!

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Caesar wrote:Was anyone competing with an Epic kite?

Cheers
Caesar 8)
With a good rider I am sure the Epic Screamer and LTD would have more than held their own in this event.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Wind more dense in South Africa ?

Hmmm, I dont think so, not much...

But if it feels more powered, there could be other reasons, but I can not see why the density should be that different.

The air is mid day around 27C (80F) in the summer (now) and of course the density is lower if warmer, but I doubt that it would make that big an impact.
As the water is colder, the air might be less than 27C, true, but even if the air is 15C warmer in other countries (around 40C maybe), the difference is only 4-5 % in density thus 4-5 % difference in power and lift too.

So if you are talking about this difference 3-5% max, you are right 8)

I think it is mostly because it is windier out on the water in Capetown, as simple as that.
Because it is fully sideshore, the wind is quite low over the land, but lots as soon as out in the break :wink:

Waveriding is typical with 4-8m2 kites every day in this area, and half the time the months we have been there, with 5-6m2 (for 80kg riders)

Occasionally on low wind days, you might be able to ride with a big 9m2 kite, in waves, but quite rare down there.

So air temperature can be felt, for sure - but IMO not a huge difference from CT to other countries...

Comparing winther (0C) to high summer (30C) is an easy difference to feel, as this is around10% in density difference, which means a 10m2 instead of an 11m2 has the same power.

But the difference sometimes feels a lot bigger than that, because (here) the wind is way more gusty and changing in the winther - and more steady in the summer.
So we get the impression, that the wind is much "harder" so to speak :naughty:

Just some thoughts and observations.

:D Peter

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Agree with Peter - when the wind is strong and steady, it feels denser, but in reality the difference is the absence of gusts.

Looking forward to seeing the video footage from the event & nice to see that C kites are still up there..... never mind the Draft.... bring back the Raven !!!!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:24 am

TheRussian wrote:Agree with Peter - when the wind is strong and steady, it feels denser, but in reality the difference is the absence of gusts.

Looking forward to seeing the video footage from the event & nice to see that C kites are still up there..... never mind the Draft.... bring back the Raven !!!!
:thumb: :thumb: you should really try the latest versions of the torch. I'd say much closer to a Raven than the torch of the time...with some added depower, but still that nut breaking pull off the water.

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:14 am

Videos of the event are online now:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... R_VxSmTkZs

http://redbullkingoftheair.co.za/public/

Anyone know how to fix the video links? I haven't been on Kiteforum actively in a long time.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/X2KH02zs4r4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/JMw7TSlP6V8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/V-187VOKlKE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/dPy2GrIsoOs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/2q-4qbKlTC8[/youtube]

Return to “Kitesurfing”