Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which tricks where shown at King of the Air?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Which tricks where shown at King of the Air?

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:54 am

Just saw the first video and some pictures...wondering what tricks where pulled???

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2379223

Just some some megaloops, some with rotation...Kevin did some basic boardoffs...what else?
High handle passes etc???

bob10
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which tricks where shown at King of the Air?

Postby bob10 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:16 am

according to some riders, there was confusion in the judging critier, but it seems that mainly big air was scoring.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:19 am

I am bit confused as a few people that were there all said Kevin Langeree was boosting the biggest and scored the highest jump all day... how come he did not win it ?

Also its badly run from the promotional side. There is little video content and photos to come from the event... the red bull website did not list the riders until a few days before and lacked information.

Would be nice to see regional qualifiers from all around the world at the next event..
Last edited by BillyGoatGruff on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

alsbirk
Frequent Poster
Gear: LF prod. and samples
Brand Affiliation: Involved with R&D for LF

Postby alsbirk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:22 am

Wasn´t there but apparently Nick got 2nd by doing some loops and 1footers

Photocredits Ingrosso Fabio/Henning Nockel

/T
Attachments
nickloop.jpg
nick1foot.jpg

Northern Monkey
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: East Coast, Western Cape, South Africa.
Style: Wave and Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Rabbits: 5m 7m, 9m, 10.5m
Twinnies: Wainman Joke UG Crypt 2011
Waves: Firewire 6.0 Gerraty 6.0 UG Skim
Brand Affiliation: Wainman

Postby Northern Monkey » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 am

Yoori was pulling some huge double handle pass mixed up with mega loops. Halfway through the event the guys were starting to pull freestyle tricks close to shore possibly in order to get the points up. You basically got a good mix of huge airs board offs mega loops and a bunch of big freestyle. As a showcase event it worked really well.. actually it was f##king amazing. All in all they were all kings of the air. I'd travel half way round the world and book a ticket tomorrow to see it all again.

FreddieM
Rare Poster

Postby FreddieM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 am

not everyone can travel 10000 km to see pro riders kiting! again...red bull sucks not streaming it!

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Most of the jumps involved riders trying to do the biggest mega loops with a tweaked grab or roll. I was a little disappointed that there were very few board offs, except from kevin and nick with his one footer kite loop special. Toby would have definitely made the comp more interesting.Y

Youri did some handle passes through a megaloop. Someone else did a double mega loop, cant remember who though. Ruben was not riding as hard as he usually does. I was most impressed how all the riders recovered so quickly and stylishly from some very bad wipeouts/landings.

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:43 pm

Lanc wrote:Most of the jumps involved riders trying to do the biggest mega loops with a tweaked grab or roll. I was a little disappointed that there were very few board offs, except from kevin and nick with his one footer kite loop special. Toby would have definitely made the comp more interesting.Y

Youri did some handle passes through a megaloop. Someone else did a double mega loop, cant remember who though. Ruben was not riding as hard as he usually does. I was most impressed how all the riders recovered so quickly and stylishly from some very bad wipeouts/landings.
you have obviously not watch toby ride then,,, he cannot land tricks in more than 20kts and kites smaller than an 18m..

its a totally different ballgame

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:03 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:I am bit confused as a few people that were there all said Kevin Langeree was boosting the biggest and scored the highest jump all day... how come he did not win it ?
the way they run these competitions, you ride off against another kiter at the same time (this helps eliminate one heat where the wind is great beating the entire heat without wind).

So you can be boosting great all day but screw it up in the final heat or double. Happens. You see it in the Olympics all the time, you could win the world record in a 100m heat but if you stumble on the final race you don't get a gold for what you did earlier in the day.
Lanc wrote:oby would have definitely made the comp more interesting.
Toby is an awesome rider but he's too afraid to die, and he's too old to change now, lol. To win at these competitions you have to be willing to take some risks. Which is the way it should be, Toby put together what looks to be a pretty awesome video but he's not a tournament rider.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Cannot and doesn't want to are two different worlds. I can land in more than 20 knots, since I am still on my 18 then ;-)

And yes, with 41 you can be more afraid. And I didn't see anyone in my age, and any other age pulling what I pull. That is my challenge, not be the craziest and most radical rider. I am holding down crazy lots of power and pull craziest tricks. All it takes to make me happy! The rest is for the young riders. All good!
I want to be an inspiration for those riders, who don't need the adrenaline, but rather have their fun in pulling new tricks and come home without injury. Most of the 30+ rider will appreciate it. Great, since they need inspiration, otherwise they will take surf boards in sub optimal conditions...to learn something new. And they still love to jump...the main reason people get onto a kite...

And at the KotA I expect the riders to show with every jump a different trick, at least in the heats.
Everything else is boring. And variety will always be the most important for me. In a KotA type of event I expect the winner also to do a boardoff or one foot...a real freestyle...dissapointed riders had boots. Less variety possible. I guess Kevin had the most variety.
And where is the megaloop boardoff...no one? In 2013 still no one? Young riders need to push more into all directions!

So, waiting for the video to see what was going on.

And yes, I don't like competition, since what I can do does not fit into 7 min! Although the KotA format sound great, with heats up to 20 min...I would like that too ;-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”