Style: Surf
Gear: Naish Park 10 / 14
Naish Skater 5'9'' X 19 x 2 3/8 thruster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Egg style surfboard for mushy waves

Postby Bryzhy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:30 am

I kitesurf in the southern carribean sea. Winds are 12-18 knots in the off season and 20-35 knots during the windy season.  I am looking for a board that will work for the 70% of the time that we have waist high mushy surf (probably very similar to florida).  My current board seems to outrun these slow waves.  I don't think there is anything wrong with my current board, I just don't think it is the right board for my weight in these conditions.

I am wondering if the Firewire Baked Potato or North Nugget (Firewire Sweet Potato) would be a better candidate.  My concerns are as follows: 
My weight for such a small board.
Pearling in wave chop.
How well this board tracks upwind.

6'3'' 200 lbs
Intermediate kiter 
Naish Park 10 / 14
Last edited by Bryzhy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Re: Egg style surfboard for mushy waves

Postby whabbits » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:50 am

If a custom board is an option, you may want to check out these shapes from Sweden.

http://www.clockcustoms.com/flat-fred/

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Cool looking boards... What's with the one strap?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:59 pm

rightguard wrote:Cool looking boards... What's with the one strap?
Some prefer just one strap instead of two - so they have more freedom for the rear foot, and still immense control when going fast or choppy, with their front foot.
And the front foot is indeed the deciding factor when going fast or in chop or big waves, so makes fully sense.

I personally prefer either no straps or two straps 8)

Even when light or flat waves and I ride in front of my rear strap, I have much better hold and less risk of wrecking my knee, than if I only had one strap. Huge difference IMO, as you rest your back foot against the strap and has loads of hold this way :thumb:

But simply personal preference - some like to have full freedom of the rear foot :rollgrin:

:D Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:16 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Some prefer just one strap instead of two - so they have more freedom for the rear foot, and still immense control when going fast or choppy, with their front foot.
[...] so makes fully sense.
..until you fall.

I'm in your camp...two straps or none.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:19 am

Bryzhy wrote:I live in northern Colombia - southern carribean sea.  Winds are 12-18 knots in the off season and 20-35 knots during the windy season.  I am looking for a board that will work for the 70% of the time that we have waist high mushy surf (probably very similar to florida).  My current board seems to outrun these slow waves.  I don't think there is anything wrong with my current board, I just don't think it is the right board for my weight in these conditions.

I am wondering if the Firewire Baked Potato or North Nugget (Firewire Sweet Potato) would be a better candidate.  My concerns are as follows: 
Pearling in wave chop.

6'3'' 200 lbs
Intermediate kiter 
Naish Park 10 / 14
the potatoes are fun boards..but maybe not when you are lit up.

I do not think you need it. Try to step a liitle further back on the skater. Your front foot over the the back part of the inserts. Backfoot you kind of feel it...but going down the wave you can stomp that board. It will life the nose up a little, and you can grind a lot harder off the top of the wave.

I've ridden overhead waves in 35 mph winds, and the board...I love it. :lol: :lol:

Bryzhy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Puerto Velero, Colombia

Postby Bryzhy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:09 pm

tautologies wrote:
Bryzhy wrote:I live in northern Colombia - southern carribean sea.  Winds are 12-18 knots in the off season and 20-35 knots during the windy season.  I am looking for a board that will work for the 70% of the time that we have waist high mushy surf (probably very similar to florida).  My current board seems to outrun these slow waves.  I don't think there is anything wrong with my current board, I just don't think it is the right board for my weight in these conditions.

Pearling in wave chop.

6'3'' 200 lbs
Intermediate kiter 
Naish Park 10 / 14
the potatoes are fun boards..but maybe not when you are lit up.

I do not think you need it. Try to step a liitle further back on the skater. Your front foot over the the back part of the inserts. Backfoot you kind of feel it...but going down the wave you can stomp that board. It will life the nose up a little, and you can grind a lot harder off the top of the wave.

I've ridden overhead waves in 35 mph winds, and the board...I love it. :lol: :lol:
The naish skater (my current board) is a good board for when there are waist high and above waves. The issue is when the waves are ankle biters to waist high. There just isn't enough float in the tail for my weight. There is no such thing as a perfect board that works in all conditions for all people. When the waves are small most good surfers use a longboard or a short egg. I am not going to kite with a longboard, that leaves a short egg. I have never ridden an egg with a kite and am wondering how it performs with good wind. For kiting the eggs are mostly labeled as light wind boards.

Therefore, I am looking for a second kitesurf board with the following requirements:
200 lbs 6'3"
Small mushy waves
Kite construction
18-25 knot winds
Tracks upwind really well

Bryzhy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Puerto Velero, Colombia

Postby Bryzhy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:14 am

whabbits wrote:If a custom board is an option, you may want to check out these shapes from Sweden.

http://www.clockcustoms.com/flat-fred/
My current board has around 28 Liters of volume. The flat fred is 5'10" x 22 2/3 and around 45 Liters of volume. At my weight in 20 knot winds, I think it would be like riding a door (literally). If anyone has tried a flat fred, please comment.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Hey Bryzhy,

I have not ridden one, nor have I seen one in person, I just stumbled upon site a few weeks back and I like the shapes, concept, and style, that the boards have.....particularly the Flat Fred and the Sunday Ripper.
http://www.clockcustoms.com/sunday-ripper/

I think that I also give a bonus point to browsing a site using Google Translate and reading all descriptions with an accent in my head.

I too would be interested in hearing from anyone who's tried one.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:13 pm

To me the clock boards don't have a good shape.
They aren't foiled like a surfboard, the tail is thick like a raceboard (not that thick, but you get the idea). I don't see how they can carve well or flex...

Return to “Kitesurfing”